stick radios, why or why not ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

stick radios, why or why not ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Last edited by iamahuman; 10-17-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
With today being "the video game generation" I'm surprised there hasn't been a push from the industry to get stick radios known in the US for newbies, which most are more familiar with that style of controller.
I'm surprised that we havent seen a video game style controller for rc vehicles. With all the miles i have on video games i would buy one in a heartbeat- provided it was of similar quality to the gear I'm using now.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

To make the Sanwa Exzes like a video game controller, you need to lengthen three really small wires inside. I had it professionally done at a tv shop for real cheap, I think it may have been less than $20. The sticks swap over. The Exzes normally comes in the configuration seen in alana07's picture. I believe even the older and cheaper Sanwa Super Exzes could be modified to have the steering on the right. Every so often, one comes up for sale on this site cheap. Here is one for $95!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...per-exzes.html
Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

This is a great thread. Used my stick at the track on Sat and didn't get too many odd looks. Some of the young kids had never seen one and thought it was cool. This was my first time on 2.4 and it sure was nice not having a huge aerial to worry about. I also like those little stubby antennas on the cars now.

Whats funny is in England when someone showed up with a steer wheel they were the odd one out and we all wanted to give it try.

This was my first good stick in England, i still miss it.
Attached Thumbnails stick radios, why or why not ?-img00179-20110904-1830.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I still have an FF3. I also use the stick radio, right now I'm using the KO Esprit. It's 27mhz. I've had no problems with it, and have not had to change frequency in about 5 years, since everyone else is on 2.4

Ive tried to switch to the wheel, but just end up going back to my sticks
Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

kcrisalli,

I have seen people convert old FF3's into 2.4 systems by way of the module.

It was very weird practicing this weekend and not having to take a frequency peg!

Still getting used to all this new school stuff.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

enjoy:
Attached Thumbnails stick radios, why or why not ?-oop_2865.jpg  
Old 10-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kcrisalli
I still have an FF3. I also use the stick radio, right now I'm using the KO Esprit. It's 27mhz. I've had no problems with it, and have not had to change frequency in about 5 years, since everyone else is on 2.4

Ive tried to switch to the wheel, but just end up going back to my sticks
There is one on ebay right now..Brand new! on 27mhgz shipping from Hong Kong
Old 10-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

I have an old FF3, who is making 2,4Hz module for this?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sirKandal
I have an old FF3, who is making 2,4Hz module for this?
ahhh i cant find it now. But i can be done.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

bump this thread for interest
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Champion

I can make gross controller movements quicker with a wheel controller vs. a stick controller.

Offroad cars are constantly being tossed about by the track. The faster I can move the controls the better.

The sticks are more precise and smoother. Perfect for airplanes. But the controller requires more movement and effort. Not good for a long main. Yes my thumbs get "winded" and tired after a long aerobatic flight. That's why nearly all flyers use a neck strap.

Airplanes need precision control, offroad cars need lightning reflexes. The two types of controllers appear to reflect that. If you can't go back and forth between the two styles like I do, just use what works for you.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Why did we need to revisit this thread? Like anything else, if it works for you, do it.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
I believe the wheel/trigger radio is superior regardless of what you're used to. The trigger can be operated more accurately than a stick, ditto the wheel. It's also more intuitive.
I drive with a stick, my brother uses a wheel. There are theoretical advantages and disadvantages to each, but ultimately it comes down to the individual.

The throttle control on a stick is theoretically more precise as you have a larger throw (especially if like me you lengthen the sticks) than a trigger does, whereas there is more throw in a wheel than there is in a stick, so steering is theoretically more precise with a wheel.

The opposite way to look at that is that you can make large changes in position more quickly on a control with less throw. Sometimes you might want to do that, sometimes you won't. One of the best arguments for a wheel is that because of the reduced steering throw on a stick, stick drivers tend to set their cars up to use the whole throw of the steering most of the time, whereas wheel radio drivers will leave a little steering in reserve so it's there when they need it.

My brother is left handed but he uses his wheel right handed, so his throttle control is pretty good!

I'm 32. When I was growing up my parents owned an arcade game business, so I was used to using joysticks all the time. I started with a stick when I was 15, tried a wheel once and didn't like it. Now where I race in Australia I'm usually the only person at the meet driving a stick. I was at a nationals this year with 250+ entries, only stick driver.

I can't play playstation because the controls are backwards now though. If I had my own controller I'd rewire it.

I'm still using 27 MHz, the only annoying part of which is having people complain about the antenna when you are on the stand trying to drive. "Sorry mate nobody ever complained before the rest of you went to 2.4 GHz, get used to it," is usually my response.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I started with stick in the 1990's. Used it well KO Espirit II.

I broke my wrist playing sport and lost use of my thumb while it was in a cast. To keep racing I purchased a wheel radio, a KO EX-9. I could operate the wheel with two fingers, wasn't great, but I could keep racing!

Once out the the cast I used the wheel radio for my truck and a stick for my 2wd. Back in the day (1990's) you needed a radio unit per car.

Did I prefer one over the other? Back then I used the stick for the 2wd because it felt more precise for Losi XX and the wheel for the truck Losi LXT.

Essentially I got used to how each car felt with each radio and a didn't think I was at any disadvantage using either.

At one meeting the Castle Hill Pro Am (1994) I won Trucks Mod (there was not stock truck) and managed a 2nd in 2wd Group 20.

In the end get used to what you have a practice practice practice!

Today I use wheel, as the EX-9 is still going, although I'm going to order a new Sanwa unit in the near future.

Last edited by AussieTopForce; 06-22-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Added stuff