Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slow_jun
Thanks, need to bullet proof my Son 22T, you know what i mean... dont want my son to get angry at me and say my truck has broken down, not that im saying that losi stuff is weak but dont want to have the hastle of fixing and more of the playin... hahahahah
The 22T is pretty stout. I might put the spindle through pin on the front end. Other then that the stock truck will take quite a beating. An alum front caster block since we normally run 4mm spacing on the front ball studs might be a good idea as well.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Just finished building my 22T.

I'm not sure if i did the assembly correct with the Lay shaft Slipper. It seems to have a little slop in the lay shaft . Have a little spacer inside the motor plate..

Can't wait till i track test it.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Old 04-18-2012, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Do you know if there's anything in the works to offer trailing spindles at all? Not necessarily aluminum ones.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
Do you know if there's anything in the works to offer trailing spindles at all? Not necessarily aluminum ones.
huh...a ton of goodies coming your way!

http://www.tlracing.com/Search/Defau...=LatestRelease
Old 04-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

And WHY do they have to release it in aluminum????? WHY can't they make it in plastic too so we don't have to spend fifty fricken dollars on a part that doesn't need to be aluminum????? They do this crap with the 8ight too. I can't even change the castor on my 8ight without spending like $100. Pisses me off.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

It just seems to me that Losi lacks in the department of keeping racers on a budget in mind.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

lol, they include 2 bodies and a set of wheels, even extra springs in the kit. What are you talking about?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Extra springs are cheap, wheels aren't too bad either. The body isn't necessary. Most of us will probably never use the mid motor set up. But this isn't anything to do with what's included with the kit. An aluminum part is considered an upgrade. Going from inline spindles to trailing spindles isn't an upgrade, it's a set up change. I shouldn't have to "upgrade" my spindles to make a set up change. Plastic spindles cost about $8. Aluminum are $50. Am I ever going to need the strength of the aluminum spindles? Probably not. Haven't broken one yet, and I've been racing mine every week since they released the truck (I got mine when the first shipment went out). The aluminum spindle isn't necessary, it's an option. Therefore I shouldn't have to pay the $50 to make a set up change. When Associated releases different parts for their cars, the release them in plastic and aluminum. In fact, my T4 had inline AND trailing spindles in plastic as an option from the start. Losi should do the same.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:34 AM
ctd
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

What is the difference in the trailing and in-line. Is it more of a feel/ preference thing. New to the 22 and just wondering.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trailing spindles will make the truck less twitchy.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:57 AM
ctd
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Thats kinda what i was thinking. I know with my SCT i had the Exotek spindle conversion on it and switched to the proline kit and the steering seemed slower with the Exotek. And the Exotek sits futhur back from center-line then the proline.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Im not 100% but I have a good idea why the spindles are aluminum and most other aftermarket parts are aluminum for that matter.

To make plastic parts you have to make a mold, which cost a LOT of money. They would have to sell a ton of spindles to justify that cost. In the long run it a better option for the manufacturer to go with aluminum, because you can michine them out one by one. You could say that's not fair to the consumer but if they made a new mold for that spindle, that manufacturing cost would have to be added somewhere. I'm sure there are other cost associated with making a plastic part as well.

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

And WHY do they have to release it in aluminum????? WHY can't they make it in plastic too so we don't have to spend fifty fricken dollars on a part that doesn't need to be aluminum????? They do this crap with the 8ight too. I can't even change the castor on my 8ight without spending like $100. Pisses me off.
It just seems to me that Losi lacks in the department of keeping racers on a budget in mind.
Extra springs are cheap, wheels aren't too bad either. The body isn't necessary. Most of us will probably never use the mid motor set up. But this isn't anything to do with what's included with the kit. An aluminum part is considered an upgrade. Going from inline spindles to trailing spindles isn't an upgrade, it's a set up change. I shouldn't have to "upgrade" my spindles to make a set up change. Plastic spindles cost about $8. Aluminum are $50. Am I ever going to need the strength of the aluminum spindles? Probably not. Haven't broken one yet, and I've been racing mine every week since they released the truck (I got mine when the first shipment went out). The aluminum spindle isn't necessary, it's an option. Therefore I shouldn't have to pay the $50 to make a set up change. When Associated releases different parts for their cars, the release them in plastic and aluminum. In fact, my T4 had inline AND trailing spindles in plastic as an option from the start. Losi should do the same.
Just wanted to make a few points here. First, the new +4mm spindles are not 22T spindles, they are for the 22 buggy. Second, just because the aluminum spindles were announced today, does not mean the spindles will not be offered in plastic/composite at some point. Keep in mind that machining a part has a very short lead time for production, and even shorter to prototype as compared to plastic. When making the same part in plastic, we have to open a mold, test the parts for durability, then enter production, which takes quite a bit longer. We could have not offered the 4mm trail spindles in aluminum until we made plastic ones, but at least we are giving you the option (if you want to) try this as a setup change, rather than just holding it back.

Please look through the 22 and let me know how many parts you find in aluminum that do not have plastic counter parts. I can only think of 2, wider hexes (more consistent track width without plastic compression) and rear toe blocks (these need to be aluminum to be durable/reliable).

All companies have some parts that only make sense to offer in aluminum as a tuning option. The B4(.1) only has aluminum rear hubs if you want to try additional rear toe (+.5, +1.0) as an example.

Trust me when I say, I race this car every week, usually more than once. We do everything in our power to provide the best customer experience, and that includes all reasonable tuning part at an affordable price, or maximizing durability when needed. Also, please keep in mind this is a competition racing platform, and some expense is required for additional tuning items, especially if you like to keep all the options handy.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

I understand what you are saying. I used to work in a foundry and know the costs that go into molded parts vs. machined parts (I work at a machine shop right now). The cost to set up tooling for a machined part along with the cost of the time to machine the part usually equals out with the cost of a mold and the ability to mass produce the plastic part. I did some number crunching several times in school for that, comparing how much it would cost per part to machine vs. to mold it. However, you do offer the caster blocks in aluminum and molded and there are several different ones (0*, 3*, 5*, 10*). I know all four are available in molded and not sure which ones are available in aluminum. I know it's a racing platform and there are certain expenses involved, but keeping $100+ in option parts in your box "in case" you need them really isn't economical. I know you guys do lots of testing and what not, but each track is different and a lot of times requires minor tweaks to set up. I'm running into the same issues with my 8ight. Sometimes I would like to have 10* or 12* of castor, and sometimes I would like to have the stock castor. But having the ability of going to the 10* or 10* requires me to have $100+ worth of parts sitting in my box not getting used all the time. I simply don't have the cash to do that. On the grand scheme of things, $100 worth of parts is about 1/6th the cost of the 8ight new, but $100 worth of parts for the 22T is 1/3 the cost of the whole car, for two parts (if you go with both aluminum spindles). That's a bit excessive. I've already put $60 worth of aluminum parts on the truck out of necessity (front and rear camber blocks). I'm just saying that I understand the costs that go into developing molded and machined parts. I think if you offered the part in molded plastic you would probably sell a lot more because there's a lot of people out there who will be very reluctant to buy the aluminum part unless they are breaking spindles all the time. And even if that's the case (as it was with my 22 buggy), the cheaper solution to that was the threaded king pin.

Is there a reason why you guys didn't go with an adjustable rear hinge pin brace like on the 1/8th scales? I know size is probably a factor.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Can you not use the trailing spindles from the 22 on the 22T?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.