Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2 stage pistons...Do they work? >

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Just placed my order for these 2 stage pistons, I have a SC10 4x4... What weight shock oil do I use for a high bite track?
Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grouchman View Post
Just placed my order for these 2 stage pistons, I have a SC10 4x4... What weight shock oil do I use for a high bite track?
I am using 30 front and 25 rear.... you will be pleasantly suprized in how your truck will handle
Old 12-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by mattnin View Post
Krio, I believe that bottom of that graph is still showing rebound, not compression. I don't think the bottom of the graph is BDC on the dyno crank which would indicate that the bottom is compression. I believe it is still only a plot of displacement vs force in the standard form and not a plot of force vs the cranks position.
The original document says that the far right is BDC with the crank rotating counterclockwise.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

i run 25/20 but 30/25 will probably work better. you want to run as light as you can get away with so maybe start with 27.5/22.5.

oh and Sym is running 1.1/1.3, i am running 1.1/1.2, this is why he can run the thicker oils. the pistons that are coming to you will be 1.1/1.2.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
i run 25/20 but 30/25 will probably work better. you want to run as light as you can get away with so maybe start with 27.5/22.5.

oh and Sym is running 1.1/1.3, i am running 1.1/1.2, this is why he can run the thicker oils. the pistons that are coming to you will be 1.1/1.2.
Thanks for the help and great service
Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default oils for high bite

Not sure where you are running , but down here in so cal I run 27.5 f and 25 rear at bigger indoor tracks like ocrc and wcrc . when I hit the smaller lrh track I run 22.5 f and 20 rear also using 1.1 and 1.2 holes at both tracks . Ocrc and wcrc are larger more open tracks with higher speeds and med sized jumps, 100% high bite clay tracks and freeway smooth. Lrh is a smaller track more technical , lower speeds ,smaller hits also clay high bite but is getting beat up and rough now so may have to up the oils by a 1/2 weight to soak up some of the ruts.

like marcus said dont be afraid to keep going lighter . it really makes the suspension more dynamic and really uses the full action of the shocks. Make you limit the travels in both directions especially if not runing the boots on the shocks

enjoy the secret weapons ...

o&s
Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Default now temp compesation

Another thing to think about now that it is getting cold is to go even lighter to compensate for oil viscosity in the cold .

It was in the low 40 degree temps here in so cal . I know summer weather for some of you east coasters, but that calls for a state of emergency here when it dips that low . We had to put pants and long sleeve t shirts on and even wait for it ...... wait ... shoes And socks to deal with these artic temps

So tonight I am going to drop down another 1/2 weight and see if i get back a bit more action from shocks asthe cold temps seemed to have deadend ( is that a word ... slowed down , settled, ) the shock action last night compared to when it was just our usual cold night of 60 degrees ( ha ha once again suck it east coaters ) nights.

Any input on hole size adjustments for colder temps marcus , or just oil weight changes to compensate.

o&s
Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by old&slow View Post
Not sure where you are running , but down here in so cal I run 27.5 f and 25 rear at bigger indoor tracks like ocrc and wcrc . when I hit the smaller lrh track I run 22.5 f and 20 rear also using 1.1 and 1.2 holes at both tracks . Ocrc and wcrc are larger more open tracks with higher speeds and med sized jumps, 100% high bite clay tracks and freeway smooth. Lrh is a smaller track more technical , lower speeds ,smaller hits also clay high bite but is getting beat up and rough now so may have to up the oils by a 1/2 weight to soak up some of the ruts.

like marcus said dont be afraid to keep going lighter . it really makes the suspension more dynamic and really uses the full action of the shocks. Make you limit the travels in both directions especially if not runing the boots on the shocks

enjoy the secret weapons ...

o&s
I race at WCRC, just wanted to get a good starting point. Making sure I buy all the light oils.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by old&slow View Post
Another thing to think about now that it is getting cold is to go even lighter to compensate for oil viscosity in the cold .

It was in the low 40 degree temps here in so cal . I know summer weather for some of you east coasters, but that calls for a state of emergency here when it dips that low . We had to put pants and long sleeve t shirts on and even wait for it ...... wait ... shoes And socks to deal with these artic temps

So tonight I am going to drop down another 1/2 weight and see if i get back a bit more action from shocks asthe cold temps seemed to have deadend ( is that a word ... slowed down , settled, ) the shock action last night compared to when it was just our usual cold night of 60 degrees ( ha ha once again suck it east coaters ) nights.

Any input on hole size adjustments for colder temps marcus , or just oil weight changes to compensate.

o&s

i would just go with lighter oils, i havent figured out how to make a drill that makes the holes smaller yet!!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

going off topic ...

I am bitter at wcrc.

I run both 1/8 buggies and the sc 10 4x and love to run em both in the same eve. No more wcrc for me now that they no longer allow the 1/8 scales any more.

Not sure what the insurance premiums difference would be , but it seems like they just cut out a good amount of bussiness from folks like me with both scales.

nuff sniveling , gotta go put on a jacket and go into the garage and drop to lower weight oils as it seems like the artic weather ( only going to hit the high 50-low 60'sall this week with lows in the 40-high 30s ) is going to continue all week
Old 12-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

Default funny marcus funny

Ha ha ha funny guy ..

was just thinking you might be able to boost sales by offering a cold weather set with even smaller hole dia...

was about to request a set of uber small hole pistons from you , but ha no order for you ( in a soup nazi type voice) just off to nitro house to do my weekly donation for some super light oil

funny but dont quit your day job yet for the stand up circuit

o&s
Old 12-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

new thread dedicated to RCshox

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post10015740
Old 12-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

cool vid!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mantisworx?feature=mhee
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey......I read all the comments and that was so interesting.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

a Bunch of posts in 2011 and then NONE in 2012?

What happened? Just curious...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.