2 stage pistons...Do they work? >

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
they would have to be custom.

first batch should be arriving within the next couple of days so i am starting a tuning page on the site.
http://www.rcshox.com/piston-set-ups/
Great first article Marcus, you took the thoughts right out of my head of how i was going to tune mine.

Im running current the 1.2 with 30 in the front of my Caster and 1.3 with 30 in the rear. Levels out evenly and hug turns and handles jumps level and rarely need to have throttle input to level her back. I cant wait to get these and start testing them out.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Jtipsy View Post
Great first article Marcus, you took the thoughts right out of my head of how i was going to tune mine.

Im running current the 1.2 with 30 in the front of my Caster and 1.3 with 30 in the rear. Levels out evenly and hug turns and handles jumps level and rarely need to have throttle input to level her back. I cant wait to get these and start testing them out.
im about to head out here in an hour or so to test the EX pistons. it is setup right now with front 30wt 1.2 10hole and 1.3 14hole rebound, rear is 30wt 1.2-10 and 1.4-14 rebound. think it will be close.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Installed the pistons in my DESC410R tonight, and they feel good. Totally guessing at what oils to run, so I started with 30wt AE front and rear. Haven't changed any holes in the compression or rebound discs yet. The front suspension feel light, it compresses quickly and springs back more quickly. The rear suspension feels pretty stiff, it compresses and springs back much slower than the front (still springs back quicker than it compresses). At this point, I'm not sure if I should a) go to 35 wt AE front oil and compare front and rear, b) go to 25 wt AE rear and compare the feel again, or c) leave the oils alone and drill the rear pistons out to 1.2 compression and 1.3 rebound. I know MW says its not a valid test of suspension, but the drop on the desk test makes the front bottom out and the rear doesn't. With these new pistons, should we always, or at least try to always, run the same weight oil front and rear?

Looking to see if ManisWorx has a more informed suggestion. The truck won't hit a track until maybe Friday night, if it doesn't rain for the 3rd Friday night in a row.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Installed the pistons in my DESC410R tonight, and they feel good. Totally guessing at what oils to run, so I started with 30wt AE front and rear. Haven't changed any holes in the compression or rebound discs yet. The front suspension feel light, it compresses quickly and springs back more quickly. The rear suspension feels pretty stiff, it compresses and springs back much slower than the front (still springs back quicker than it compresses). At this point, I'm not sure if I should a) go to 35 wt AE front oil and compare front and rear, b) go to 25 wt AE rear and compare the feel again, or c) leave the oils alone and drill the rear pistons out to 1.2 compression and 1.3 rebound. I know MW says its not a valid test of suspension, but the drop on the desk test makes the front bottom out and the rear doesn't. With these new pistons, should we always, or at least try to always, run the same weight oil front and rear?

Looking to see if ManisWorx has a more informed suggestion. The truck won't hit a track until maybe Friday night, if it doesn't rain for the 3rd Friday night in a row.
im going to go more into this on the site but i know you are chomping at the bits!!

go bigger holes in the rear right off the bat (1.2/1.3) and stay with the 30 wt. the frt and R should feel about the same. if you compress the chassis all the way down and release they should both come up at the same time. Shoot for 30/35 wt so that when you change tracks you should only need to change oils to match. so you dont want to set your truck up with 25wt because you dont really have anywhere to go lower (20 is too thin for anything). on the front sounds like you may want to go to 35wt. Soooooo

Front 35wt 1.1/1.2
Rear 30wt 1.2/1.3
try it and let us know how it feels
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Marcus, can't wait for Losi SCTE's
Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
im going to go more into this on the site but i know you are chomping at the bits!!

go bigger holes in the rear right off the bat (1.2/1.3) and stay with the 30 wt. the frt and R should feel about the same. if you compress the chassis all the way down and release they should both come up at the same time. Shoot for 30/35 wt so that when you change tracks you should only need to change oils to match. so you dont want to set your truck up with 25wt because you dont really have anywhere to go lower (20 is too thin for anything). on the front sounds like you may want to go to 35wt. Soooooo

Front 35wt 1.1/1.2
Rear 30wt 1.2/1.3

try it and let us know how it feels
This exactly where I'm starting with the Ve8. I was running the kit 1.3 pistons up front with 45wt (worked really well on the track for me) and the RC Shox pistons "feel" the exact same with 35wt but the rebound is far FAR quicker.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Would love to give these a whirl any works for the serpent s811 line " Truggy/Buggy"
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

i havent had any request for that shock so either it is the same as something i already have or it needs to be made custom.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

marcus, Please put me at the top of the list for your new chassis balancing struts! Now...back to 2-stage pistons (mine rock BTW.).
Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Are these made to order? I placed an order a couple days ago and hadent heard anything. Just wanted to check.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
Are these made to order? I placed an order a couple days ago and hadent heard anything. Just wanted to check.
they are kinda made to order in the sense that i have to make them in waves .ie monday=Caster tuesday=kyosho etc etc. today SC104x4's go out as well as kyosho and TLR22 late today/tomorrow. i am making enough so the wait will not be as long next week and in the future. So please just bare with me, im getting it together!

Nytrydr, im gonna have to make the static shocks! cant pass up on that, im thinking 7mm of adjustment so you can get close to where your ride height is. i will try and cut some prototypes before the end of the week!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

FYI some of you will notice that there are color markings on your pistons. i do this because it is easier to identify.

RED=1.0mm
Yellow=1.1mm
Blue=1.2mm
Green=1.3mm
silver=1.4mm

i suggest we all follow this code
Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Any timeframe on the SCTE losi pistons yet? Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1 View Post
Would love to give these a whirl any works for the serpent s811 line " Truggy/Buggy"
I was also going to ask about pistons for the S811, but wanted to get the Durango squared away first and see how much improvement the pistons make. The shocks are 16mm bore, with a 3mm center mounting hole. I'm currently running 8 hole pistons front and rear, all holes drilled out with a #55 drill bit. Serpent also sells 6 hole and 10 hole pistons. I'd have to measure the actual OD of a piston to be precise, and the thickness of the mounting step on the shock shaft. Or I could send you a shock shaft with a piston on it to measure from.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks.

Last edited by nytryder; 08-03-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.