Wiki Posts
Search

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
this is a situation where the HB pistons will suit you better! send me a PM when you get a chance.
as a potential customer i would like to ask why/when would reg. pistons work better
Old 10-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are some instances where no rebound may work just fine. No point in 2 stage pistons then. Some large clay tracks that are pretty smooth but just have large jumps are a prime example. Carpet "off road" may also be another place.

There may be other times where you find you may only want a single stage piston at one end, say the front. Maybe you like the amount of pack and rebound on the front shocks but due to more weight out back you can't get rebound fast enough with a single stage piston. You use a dual stage to even things out.

A 2 stage piston is a tuning aid. You won't always need it and you won't always need it at each end. It's up to you to figure out when it works well and when it doesn't. That's just a part of tuning.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

before this gets confusing the HB's are still 2 stage and still have adjustable rebound. I believe rebound is needed in all situations just not as much especially on a hard packed super smooth indoor track. The main difference is that the HB have more pack without having to go to extreme shock thickness's. If your main track is high grip/large flat landing jumps, super smooth than the HB series are for you. if your track is a blown out large rough 1/8 scale track than the std series will work better.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks again for the shocks MW.. I traveled to Lake Havasu from Oregon for the thunder on the water rc truck races and in my class ( sportsman) I came in 6th out of 10 then 8th and in the 1st main 5th and in the second I was in 2nd behind the worlds champ Tye something or another team driver for who ever and my battery dies. it was a great time for all three days of racing. wed night 4 racers showed up took 1st. @ the races I went in to changing tires from gridirons, enduros, bar coads and calibers in practice and the enduros were the ones on this big out door loose lomey track,... new pro 4 4600 on 2's geared 14 pin. with orange rear black front shock springs and this thing in on rails. Now if I could just see the dam car go by its so fast lol I had a blast. THESE SHOCKS work..
Old 10-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chucko
Thanks again for the shocks MW.. I traveled to Lake Havasu from Oregon for the thunder on the water rc truck races and in my class ( sportsman) I came in 6th out of 10 then 8th and in the 1st main 5th and in the second I was in 2nd behind the worlds champ Tye something or another team driver for who ever and my battery dies. it was a great time for all three days of racing. wed night 4 racers showed up took 1st. @ the races I went in to changing tires from gridirons, enduros, bar coads and calibers in practice and the enduros were the ones on this big out door loose lomey track,... new pro 4 4600 on 2's geared 14 pin. with orange rear black front shock springs and this thing in on rails. Now if I could just see the dam car go by its so fast lol I had a blast. THESE SHOCKS work..
Congrats! which truck is that again?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Losi SCTE short course 1/10th truck ( sorry ) forgot to say what it was .
also running 22.5 losi oil front and rear.. heavy sway bars front,.. lightest in back.. any tips to get it to go faster ?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default dang time to order more

I am the calssic hb customer it seems , all indoor smooth high bite here in so calif , so going to need to" get sum " for the sc 10 4x as they say.

let me know if the lisi 8ights have notbeen made or shipped yet and we can piggy back the order together for 1 set of the og for both 8ights and 1 set of hb for both eights and then a set of hb for the sc 10 4x

Thanks marcus

Jaime
Old 10-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Tech Addict

Anybody useing these on b44.1 buggy?? Need some baseline setups for med size dusty clay track
Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rickybobbyxxx
Anybody useing these on b44.1 buggy?? Need some baseline setups for med size dusty clay track

start with 30/30 what are your track conditions?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Dry dusty clay, kinda rough, small to med size jumps
Old 10-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

On the way to the track yesterday, I found RcShox pistons in the PO Box, got to the track and put them in. First, I wasn't sure how to install them, so I put the thin piece on the shock first, then put the top e-clip on, then carefully slip the tick piston piece in top of that. Seemed logical at least. I put the 20R and 25F oil back in that I had before in the TLR-22. The car seemed to run about the same. So, what I don't know is whether there needs to be any customizations done by the user. For example, the bottom (thin) piston has 6 holes in it that line up with the 6 holes of the thick upper piston, but then the upper piston has 2 more holes. I just don't know if those upper 2 extra holes are useful right now because the oil still flows thru the 6ame 6 lower holes no matter what. Unless the idea is that the oil flows easier thru the thin pistons 6 holes that the oil would traveling thru a thicker piston with the same holes. Any thoughts?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
On the way to the track yesterday, I found RcShox pistons in the PO Box, got to the track and put them in. First, I wasn't sure how to install them, so I put the thin piece on the shock first, then put the top e-clip on, then carefully slip the tick piston piece in top of that. Seemed logical at least. I put the 20R and 25F oil back in that I had before in the TLR-22. The car seemed to run about the same. So, what I don't know is whether there needs to be any customizations done by the user. For example, the bottom (thin) piston has 6 holes in it that line up with the 6 holes of the thick upper piston, but then the upper piston has 2 more holes. I just don't know if those upper 2 extra holes are useful right now because the oil still flows thru the 6ame 6 lower holes no matter what. Unless the idea is that the oil flows easier thru the thin pistons 6 holes that the oil would traveling thru a thicker piston with the same holes. Any thoughts?
the lower piston holes are larger than the upper piston holes, the two large holes in the top piston are overflow from the lower piston. on the bag written in red was "1.1/1.2" thats what that meant. you should notice a noticeable difference immediately as long as the upper piston floats freely.

Ricky try 25/25 first if you dont have to worry about huge jumps and chassis slap.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks MantixWorx
Old 10-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Mantis, what oil would you suggest for an all carpet track with a few jumps (but little to no bumps) here and there? car is an SCX-60 (converted SC10 to midmotor layout).

Currently have 35 front / 30 rear; went up in spring stiffness (gold FR) but still too much body roll;
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jmke
Hey Mantis, what oil would you suggest for an all carpet track with a few jumps (but little to no bumps) here and there? car is an SCX-60 (converted SC10 to midmotor layout).

Currently have 35 front / 30 rear; went up in spring stiffness (gold FR) but still too much body roll;
what shocks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.