Search
Like Tree55Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
My experience with most factory drivers setups (especially in off road) is that they're usually too hard to drive and/or too much steering. They have the skills to control that much steering where as 99% of the drivers out there can't. Plus if you really want to make sure you're running the exact setup, you need to follow the sheet to a T. But even then there are differences you won't find on a setup sheet.

One thing I've noticed is that is very important to the way the car handles and can be very different between the factory guys setups and pretty much everyone else that you'll never find on a setup sheet is the amount of pack in the shocks. They don't tend to build their shocks with as much pack as a regular racer does. If you have a lot of pack in the car, the car won't bounce or chassis slap as bad when you flat bottom a jump and miss the down side. It'll hit the ground and kind of stick. (because the shocks can't rebound as fast) But it does make the car bounce around in the rough stuff because the suspension can't work as fast. The factory guys are down siding pretty much every jump out there so they can build their shocks with less pack so their suspension can work properly over the rough. I was amazed when I felt Pudge's B44 at OCRC one day. There was almost no pack in the shocks at all. But that thing went through the rough sections of that track like nothing I'd ever seen.
Originally Posted by VVRC
So my question is, since I am a newbie (relatively) and I have a new FT T4 all set to the "Cavalieri 2007 Midwest Offroad Championships" specs. Should I worry about changing anything from this setup, until I have learned to consistently drive this one setup.

In other words, drive this setup until I am comfortable with it......???
To add to that, I have found Cav's setup to be very forgiving on every track I ran on. I used it outdoors where they would occasionally soak up puddles with tons of sand = super slick! In that case, I went 5wt lighter oil and black springs in the rear. Kept everything else the same and the car was solid. Since you're pretty new to racing I would say just concentrate on driving within your abilities with a consistent setup. Get lots of laps in and when you're comfortable with the car and can figure out what it's going to do then start making small changes to the setup IF necessary to get around the track better. I think you'll find Cav's setup a really good starting point though.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

the best advise I can give to new guys on driving and setups... just find a setup you can drive consisteny, that is the key. Stock setup, pros, it don't matter just find one that is easy to drive/balanced. THEN forget about setup and practice as much has you can until you can do full runs w/ little to no mitakes consistently. the hot setup is useless if you are still tapping pipes/flippin on your lid. get consistent. ...then and only then should you care about setup.

so get a consistent setup that is eary to drive. learn to drive well, then start learning setups & what setup changes do what...

my 2¢
Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
the best advise I can give to new guys on driving and setups... just find a setup you can drive consisteny, that is the key. Stock setup, pros, it don't matter just find one that is easy to drive/balanced. THEN forget about setup and practice as much has you can until you can do full runs w/ little to no mitakes consistently. the hot setup is useless if you are still tapping pipes/flippin on your lid. get consistent. ...then and only then should you care about setup.

so get a consistent setup that is eary to drive. learn to drive well, then start learning setups & what setup changes do what...

my 2¢

Good advice^^^

I drove my B4 and T4 for 3 months on the stock set ups. Racing with them twice a week and practicing getting consistently smoother and faster on the track. This has allowed me to begin to learn what I need from the buggy and truck to keep me improving. The most important thing for me continues to be track time.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Great Advice, thanks for the replies......#1 Lesson: Consistency first, Setups second.

#2 Lesson: The Cav setup is good, but so may be the stock setup.....Drive them both and see which is better for me, than stick with it for a while until #1 Lesson falls into place.

And I may or may not want to get stiffer springs in front or thicker shock oil for less steering.

Sound right?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

my 2¢

uh, I get in a hurry sometimes... EASY, not eary!

While you're focusing on learning consistency...lines and smooth inputs on the radio should be a key area to focus on, as well as learning how different inputs effect the handling in various types of corners.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

my 2¢
I like this. A lot.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Default T4 shocks

I have a quick question:

I was talking with a local "old timer" who has been racing a while and he said he was surprised associated still uses 2 hole pistons in their shocks. He said the associated guys "used" to use the Losi 3 hole pistons in their associated shocks. Ok, just wandering, what losi pistons and where? I got a set of 55's and 56's for a starting point. Would I set them up like a losi? Such as 56's up front and 55's in the rear, or vise a versa?

Thanks!

PS: To the "newbie" questions, I say learn to drive it first, then worry about the setups. Cause you can get a headache very fast worrying about setups! Have fun and learn to drive it at first with a VERY basic setup to start off with!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When i was testing my b4 in a parking lot with dirt hawgs on the rear, i mangled the shit out of my light weight diff outdrives. Does anyone make a stronger diff outdrive for the b4?

i am running a mamba max 5700 with a yeah racing 5000 25c lipo.

any ideas?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swimming108
When i was testing my b4 in a parking lot with dirt hawgs on the rear, i mangled the shit out of my light weight diff outdrives. Does anyone make a stronger diff outdrive for the b4?

i am running a mamba max 5700 with a yeah racing 5000 25c lipo.

any ideas?
I've had a couple sets of the light outdrives, and they just don't last long. They must not get hardened like the stock ones. I've gone back to the stock ones.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Yes the stock steel outdrives will last a long time, and although they might be a little in the "heavy" side, with todays motors it really isn't enough to make a differnce in the way the car drives out of the turns.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
I have a quick question:

I was talking with a local "old timer" who has been racing a while and he said he was surprised associated still uses 2 hole pistons in their shocks. He said the associated guys "used" to use the Losi 3 hole pistons in their associated shocks. Ok, just wandering, what losi pistons and where? I got a set of 55's and 56's for a starting point. Would I set them up like a losi? Such as 56's up front and 55's in the rear, or vise a versa?

Thanks!

PS: To the "newbie" questions, I say learn to drive it first, then worry about the setups. Cause you can get a headache very fast worrying about setups! Have fun and learn to drive it at first with a VERY basic setup to start off with!
If you want to start with equivalent of the "standard" B4 setup you'll want the 56's in the rear, 55's in front. That's fairly close to #2 rear/#1 front.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

Post steering slop

i have a bit of steering slop due to the bushing in my b4 can i replace them with bearings if so what size will i need thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 02:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
If you want to start with equivalent of the "standard" B4 setup you'll want the 56's in the rear, 55's in front. That's fairly close to #2 rear/#1 front.
Thanks!
I didnt mention it was in a T4, but that shouldnt matter much...
I will give it a try this weekend!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by viperbill1963
i have a bit of steering slop due to the bushing in my b4 can i replace them with bearings if so what size will i need thanks
3/8 x 3/16 for the wheels, 1/8 x 1/4 for the steering bellcranks.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default T3 gearing

Sorry guys, I cant find a T3 thread. Now for my question.
New to offroad, what fdr should be used for a T3 with 6.5 novak. I am guessing it should be the same as the t4.
Track one... long straights (up to about 150 ft) with some tight infield corners.
Track two...120ft straight, verytight infield

Thanks in advance
Terry

Last edited by Team Ash; 02-27-2009 at 04:03 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.