Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree55Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
What do you guys recommend for a steering servo for the T4? I seem to prefer Hitec the most, but am open to other metal gear options.
You'll want something w/ more torque than speedy especially if you're running a high bite track. the mid grade hitech metal geared ones (or any metal geared midgrade servo) would work ok but wouldn't buy 100$ sevro unless you got that kinda cash! I ran a HT for awhile, eventually did break some internals. you can find plenty of inbetween (50$ish) servos out there that are prolly a little more reliable than the 30$ HT's.

I strongly recommend you glue the servo saver so it does not move/give. ESPECIALLY if running high bite track....even with the FT HD spring (don't waste your money) the servo saver will give, then turn the wheels in late adn you'll wonder WTF is going on w/ the steering! It won't drive/steer consistently from my experience. Some would disagree and say you'll just start breaking servos & other steering parts. I've had pretty good luck and minimal breakages related to welding it solid....
Old 01-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
You'll want something w/ more torque than speedy especially if you're running a high bite track. the mid grade hitech metal geared ones (or any metal geared midgrade servo) would work ok but wouldn't buy 100$ sevro unless you got that kinda cash! I ran a HT for awhile, eventually did break some internals. you can find plenty of inbetween (50$ish) servos out there that are prolly a little more reliable than the 30$ HT's.

I strongly recommend you glue the servo saver so it does not move/give. ESPECIALLY if running high bite track....even with the FT HD spring (don't waste your money) the servo saver will give, then turn the wheels in late adn you'll wonder WTF is going on w/ the steering! It won't drive/steer consistently from my experience. Some would disagree and say you'll just start breaking servos & other steering parts. I've had pretty good luck and minimal breakages related to welding it solid....
I think you're right, I bought a whole new truck that should be here this week, I'm going to put a new steering servo in and I agree with clamping down the servo saver all the way and running a metal gear servo. I'll go with a Hitec or Hobbico, something with good speed/torque in the middle of the range, not the top of the line designed for a 8th scale.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I think you're right, I bought a whole new truck that should be here this week, I'm going to put a new steering servo in and I agree with clamping down the servo saver all the way and running a metal gear servo. I'll go with a Hitec or Hobbico, something with good speed/torque in the middle of the range, not the top of the line designed for a 8th scale.
some guys on the b44 thread are saying this (DS1015) is a great servo... duno myself. specs look nice but 89$ on tower!!! I'm more of a 40-50$ servo guy for my offroad cars.

Just go w/ one of the mid/high HT (torque model) all metal and BBs. been pretty reliable for me and my price range lol, granted nothing is crash proof!

good luck on your build. I just got my tc5 in today!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I got a Futaba BLS451 for ya!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
some guys on the b44 thread are saying this (DS1015) is a great servo... duno myself. specs look nice but 89$ on tower!!! I'm more of a 40-50$ servo guy for my offroad cars.

Just go w/ one of the mid/high HT (torque model) all metal and BBs. been pretty reliable for me and my price range lol, granted nothing is crash proof!

good luck on your build. I just got my tc5 in today!
I am tempted to pick up an FT TC5 on Amain, they're $279 w/ a $25 off coupon!

Yeah, I don't need to overdue my servo, our track isn't that technical so it won't be required to go all out on a servo.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

double post...
Old 01-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Hitec makes a non-metal gear servo that is really good and really inexpensive. It uses Karbonite (?) gears and is a coreless/digital. It's got good torque and is CRAZY fast. I've had one for 3 seasons and zero problems. Mine's a 5975HB but it's probably a different name now.

DO NOT lock your servo saver, that's a really bad idea.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the australian nationals in 2 weeks and Iam running super stock 10.5 with my B4
the gearing I have is 78/24 is this ok.
what other gearing does anyone recommend
Old 01-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pete2
I have the australian nationals in 2 weeks and Iam running super stock 10.5 with my B4
the gearing I have is 78/24 is this ok.
what other gearing does anyone recommend
I run on a small in door track with clay and run 78/26 8 min main.
with low temp
Old 01-07-2009, 12:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PT Hill Top RC
I run on a small in door track with clay and run 78/26 8 min main.
with low temp
O ya with a 10.5
Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Old question but could not find someone to confirm the answer after doing a search. Does the latest Factory Team B4 kit come with a plastic chassis and not a carbon one?

Also, are the gold shock shafts the lastest offering in the kit? Are they still unobtanium? Besides the latest box design with the red and white painted B4, what other changes have been made to the Factory Team Kit? Is there anything else lacking besides the piston set? Does the kit now have B44 rear hubs, bearings and CVD bone?

I had one of the older B4 kits with the old box design and I am now looking to build another one.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcjunkie3000
Old question but could not find someone to confirm the answer after doing a search. Does the latest Factory Team B4 kit come with a plastic chassis and not a carbon one?

Also, are the gold shock shafts the lastest offering in the kit? Are they still unobtanium? Besides the latest box design with the red and white painted B4, what other changes have been made to the Factory Team Kit? Is there anything else lacking besides the piston set? Does the kit now have B44 rear hubs, bearings and CVD bone?

I had one of the older B4 kits with the old box design and I am now looking to build another one.

Thanks.
From Associated's website:

"The B4 Factory Team features all molded carbon components including the chassis, front and rear shock towers, front and rear A-Arms, chassis brace, and top plate. The battery strap is made of woven carbon fiber, and comes with a chrome/black "AE Factory Team" sticker."

And...the shock shafts are indeed unobtanium.

Other questions I can't answer....
Old 01-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

i just put together a new ftb4 kit and it looks like a carbon chassis
Old 01-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I believe the change was on the team cars which now come with the plastic chassis, the factory team are still carbon.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Carbon is just another fancy word for a type of plastic. Or in this case "lighter" plastic. At least the battery strap is actually carbon fiber! I just ordered a FT T4 kit as well, I hope it has the TiN shocks and other upgrades, but you never know what these big box retailers have sitting on the shelf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.