Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree31Likes

Traxxas 2wd Slash Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I'll try to get a better look at the wife's tonight when I get home and see if any ideas. Really seems strange.
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrod87
I'll try to get a better look at the wife's tonight when I get home and see if any ideas. Really seems strange.
Thanks! I'll double check mine as well and take some photos if it.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:55 PM
Tech Lord

I can't tell anything from the outside. I'll do some disassembly in the morning and check. I can't remember what holds it all together
Old 05-30-2017, 06:26 AM
Tech Lord

Can't see any reason why it would fit loose. No setscrew or anything. Gotta get the wifes slash back together now before she finds out I took it apart. Lol
Old 05-30-2017, 04:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default slash 2wd transmission bind??

Any input would be appreciated. Gotta get this sorted in the next week.

I run a couple of stock brushed slash 2wd for my kids to bash with. A while back I rebuilt the transmission in one (can't remember why precisely and it's been sitting a while since I did it.) IIRC it was a PITA with tons of tiny parts. I'm guessing I need to dig back into it.

It's running like it's binding right now and just has driveline drag. This is compared to the other one. I just replaced the motor and some bad rear wheel bearings just now. Still, it's got driveline drag.

I've never taken time to set the pinion gears precisely, but that's never been a problem before. I will try that next, but is there something I did wrong in the transmission rebuild to make it drag?? OR several things wrong? Too much grease? Something simple?

I don't hear any grinding of gears. It's not slipping the clutch. Spinning wheels off the ground, you can just tell it's not spinning as freely as it should and winds in 1/3 the time of the other.

TIA for anything I should try next!!
Jim
Old 05-30-2017, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylzU5mDu1EA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAa5KeGo5Ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Csx7WMSxR4

I'd DL the manual and tear down the trans and diff. Give everything a good cleaning and proceed from there.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:33 PM
Tech Rookie

First post from new guy.
Son got me in to RC early this year when he bought his Rustler, and then when he bought a basic Slash for my grandson, well...I was hooked.

I bought the VXL, and have never been able to resist the go fast mods on anything I've owned in my 58 years. I look forward to learning from all of you...have a lot of reading to do..
Old 05-30-2017, 09:04 PM
Tech Lord

My wife still asks after 30 years of rc ( how old are you ) I just answer with apparently not to old to run a lipo through a rc with my grandkids
Old 05-31-2017, 07:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the quick input Loaba.

I hadn't pulled the pinion gear and rolled it, turns out the bind is not in the chassis part of the drivetrain. It's just this particular motor seems really tight. Combo of that and a Lipo with a cell not holding charge made it appear to me that something was binding.

I've read that sometimes you need to reclean and break in the motor again. I'll try that and see if it loosens up. If no, I'll just write it off and move to the next one.

Sorry to post a new thread without digging into very deeply first. But again, appreciate the input! One day I'll move it all to brushless, but this is working for the crew now so cheap disposable motors is the price I pay.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

you should never have to re-break in a motor. Ive also never really heard of a motor being or becoming "tight" Is it just so dirty and not oiled that it won't spin? a drop of bearing oil on both ends of the motor shaft should solve any issues if it wont spin freely. Unless it has a bent shaft.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hotrod87
My wife still asks after 30 years of rc ( how old are you ) I just answer with apparently not to old to run a lipo through a rc with my grandkids

Amen.

When I was a kid the "rich kid" in the neighborhood had a Cox .049 powered car with a propeller on the back that was hooked to a 20 ft string. On weekends we'd go to the elementary school asphalt playground and watch him drive a 16 sinker nail into the pavement, stretch the string out, and start the nitro engine by propping it.
We (all the kids on our bikes, jealous as heck,) watched it go round and round and round until it ran out of gas.
Thought it was the coolest thing ever, until one summer he he got an airplane...also with strings, and a had control deal, which required a friend to start it for him.
It was blue and yellow and I remember the wings were held on with rubber bands...

I dreamed some day of having my own cool toys.
I have them now.
Reverting back to playing with small versions of them with my grandchildren is a blessing I cant put a value on...
Old 06-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya
My Pro-2 transmission is broke after less than 2 packs, what is the best/most durable transmission available? FLM? Will any 2wd Slash transmission bolt up to my Pro-2?
I ordered the parts to fix my stock Pro-2 transmission. I opened it up to see what was wrong(stripped plastic diff gear)/get ready to fix, & it appears to have a metal idler gear. I thought the Pro-2 came w/a plastic idler gear? I did buy it used, but appeared to be barely used & no mods. I have a RRP metal idler gear coming, but may just use the Proline gear sense there seems to be no wear.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya
I ordered the parts to fix my stock Pro-2 transmission. I opened it up to see what was wrong(stripped plastic diff gear)/get ready to fix, & it appears to have a metal idler gear. I thought the Pro-2 came w/a plastic idler gear? I did buy it used, but appeared to be barely used & no mods. I have a RRP metal idler gear coming, but may just use the Proline gear sense there seems to be no wear.
The early production had a plastic idler, but they switched to metal. Proline used a metal diff gear in their ProMT monster truck. It is #6261-01 and is a direct fit into the Pro2 trans. Hope this helps
Old 06-01-2017, 05:03 PM
Tech Lord

Been wanting to try a different trans just to see if I ca tell a difference. Closest I've came is an rpm blue case. Motor ran a little cooler. Definitely liked how the motor screw areas don't get beat up as bad.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
The early production had a plastic idler, but they switched to metal. Proline used a metal diff gear in their ProMT monster truck. It is #6261-01 and is a direct fit into the Pro2 trans. Hope this helps
OK, I figured it maybe something like a production change. I have the 6261-01 on its way. Thanks for the help bubba.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.