Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Associated gear diff in Losi 22? >

Associated gear diff in Losi 22?

Associated gear diff in Losi 22?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I hate ball diffs, imo gear diffs are more tune-able.

Is there any downfall to using the AE gear diff in the 22?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by netmaster
I hate ball diffs, imo gear diffs are more tune-able.

Is there any downfall to using the AE gear diff in the 22?
None that I have found except I dont have to rebuild the diff every race day
Old 06-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maynard
None that I have found except I dont have to rebuild the diff every race day
Shouldn't have to with a regular 22 diff anyway...
Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Ahh, we need hpiz892 shims
Old 06-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

After i put the gear diff in my 22 i ran 3k didnt like it much so i used losi black grease and that seemed to really work for my track which is a loose large outdoor track. I think the gear diff feals way better than the ball diff ever did i even sold my diff to a guy at the track for a back up, thats how much better it was.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Shirk
Shouldn't have to with a regular 22 diff anyway...
Don't get me wrong some people really like the Ball Diff but me personally I only race indoors on super high traction Carpet and find the Gear Diff just hooks up better and is more consistent in general.

I was having a problem where the Ball Diff just kept loosening itself off no matter how loose I set the slipper and with the gear diff this cannot happen.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I don't know if it's been pointed out on this thread but there is a good reason that ball diffs work better. A ball diff's action doesn't change with load. Aside from the balls loading against the holes in the diff gear everything is just as free when under load as when it's sitting idle.

A gear diff under load is trying to disassemble itself (all the gears are driving away from each other), add to this the lower quality of RTR level parts and that silicone oil is only ok as a lubricant and what you have is bind. Better quality gear diffs work better but these are rare in 1/10. The Kyosho is the best I've seen and the only one made well enough for competition use imo.

Ball diffs can be difficult if not adjusted properly but once guys get the hang of them they last a long time between re-lube/rebuild. The 22 doesn't come with carbide diff balls (a crime for a competition level kit imo) and has apparently had some trouble with the lock nut but fix those two things and you should be sippin' drinks in happy town.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have no experience with modern gear diffs so can't comment on actual experience. I do have concerns though which may or may not be issues. My concern is temperature change within the diff. Oil viscosity changes with temperature. As the diff heats up, the oil viscosity should get lower. It would be different on different days as well such as winter vs summer running. Then again shock oils suffer from this problem too. The downfall of the old Losi hydradrive was that as battery tech allowed longer and longer runtimes, the hydradrive became less and less useful due to overheat. It would seem that this should hold true in an oil filled diff too. Is this not the case? Does performance change with time?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

On a side note the kyosho gear diff works as well they just don't stock it at my lhs.

And yes temp can affect the diff but you can compensate by running thicker or thinner fluids.

And anyone who doesn't think that gear diffs can't be every bit as good as ball diffs they should look at Team Durango as there 4wd buggy, SCT and there upcoming 2wd buggy are all using gear diffs, and lets not forget everything 1/8th scale does as well.

For me this just works better but your mileage may vary.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

All good points. I'm also concerneed about these issues but so far it has been good. I ran this diff in my b4 and sc10 and really liked it but the outdtives do get notched quicker than some. Still testing but even if I have to replace it every once in a while due to wear I will still be money and time ahead compared to maintaining a ball diff.

I don't think viscosity change due to heat is an issue since we run such short races, but adjustments when the ambient temp changes will have to be looked at. When I ran mine last weekend we started at 7pm and ran until 1am so the temp probably dropped 15 degrees and the car kept getting better every time I ran it. The bite does come up as it cools down, but I was happy that it didn't act weird as the night went on. That was running 10k. I think the main advantage will be to run lighter fluids to get corner speed up, as that's where I think this car suffers slightly to the b4.1
Old 06-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking Also useing gear diff in 22

hi there hamilton ont Canada here we also have an indoor off road carpet track . I have the losi 22 i just did the change also to a gear diff many ppls use them at our track here also. I did on the other hand use 18k in it only because this is all i had at hand ,but to tell you the truth the stock ball diff was ok for awile but i found myself always wanting to tighen it so id get less unloading and more push.i ended up changing it because i wore the ball's out(very crunchy) so bad by early last week i might as well had a locked diff i will rebuild it but for now its gear diff.i didnt need to shim or anything and right away(probably because the ball diff was shot) wow what a nice upgrade for sure very smooth id say it felt better then day one i race every friday and it last almost 30 race thus far so not to bad

Another great mod or upgrade was too dremel the rear were the camber links go Ball"s end up pulkling them selve"s out and ovaling the hole out,so what weve done is dremel under it and add a nut no more issues after that.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wouldn't you know as soon as I get the Associated gear diff, Losi comes out with this:

http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA2954

Oh well, will at least use the Associated to test which diff oil works best.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

This should be being discussed in the 22 thread...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ing-buggy.html