Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important??? >

Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default here is a thought

I live in mn and we are looking at having more diverse classes so everyone wins. I am in the class of people who
work
play video games
ride mountain bike
184-187lbs
wear glasses
the good thing is I can place first, bad thing it doesn't fit on a trophy.
That guy should just be happy he got to go, i was there yesterday and going back today, the track is awesome. I know that a few guys in mn put the woop down on the xfest each year since mike started it. most are just satisfied he put thhe event on, no matter where they finish.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The bottom line in any business is (customer satisfaction) most EVERYONE wants' to feel part of the event, not just a number. I go to and vendor at FWD events that have up words of 1500 rigs and thousands of people. The entry fee's are anywhere from $35 to $75 dollars. And do you know what's keeping people coming back? They had a blast at the raffle and they get a participant sticker and a dash plaque. and if they did not win anything at the raffle, yea there discouraged but at lease they leave with something saying they were there. Some people come from long distances' they should get something to say they were there. They spent the time and money to come and support the event. And as far as announcers, I race at HRH and Jimmy, Tim and Aaron have been great ones, They talk about all the racers in the race, not just the front runners. People do like hearing there names mentioned in a race. We all have to remember, with out the small guy shops would not be around.

Thats my $002
Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THE DOC
The bottom line in any business is (customer satisfaction) most EVERYONE wants' to feel part of the event, not just a number. I go to and vendor at FWD events that have up words of 1500 rigs and thousands of people. The entry fee's are anywhere from $35 to $75 dollars. And do you know what's keeping people coming back? They had a blast at the raffle and they get a participant sticker and a dash plaque. and if they did not win anything at the raffle, yea there discouraged but at lease they leave with something saying they were there. Some people come from long distances' they should get something to say they were there. They spent the time and money to come and support the event. And as far as announcers, I race at HRH and Jimmy, Tim and Aaron have been great ones, They talk about all the racers in the race, not just the front runners. People do like hearing there names mentioned in a race. We all have to remember, with out the small guy shops would not be around.

Thats my $002
Everyone got an event t shirt at this years CC. Isnt that enough?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Racing has changed a lot and it is not always for the better. There are more races than ever so your best bet is to find the ones that offer what you are looking for. They are out there.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
Everyone got an event t shirt at this years CC. Isnt that enough?
I didn't read every post, so maybe I missed that, If they did then at least that showed they were recognized for coming.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Racing has changed a lot and it is not always for the better. There are more races than ever so your best bet is to find the ones that offer what you are looking for. They are out there.
Isn't that the truth?! There are so many races throughout the year you are bound to find one that fits you. If a simple T shirt didn't fullfill you then maybe look into a series race in your area or near by. Heck maybe one of Scotty's venues will fit you better?! Look around ask around there are so many races you can basically run any weekend across the U.S. if you have the ability to. I can tell you from experience I travel across the U.S. year round and am lucky enough to have basically run in every state. There are a ton of tracks out there that opens so many options for a racer.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troubles Dad
I have felt that way for many years, it is good to see someone else take notice of this kind of things, as that is why I quit going to the big races, it is cool to see all the factory drivers and watch them race, but when you do not stand a chance in heck, why even go, so are the big races for the pro's and manufactures to win.........................
I'd highly suggest grabbing your car, and take a walk up to one of the factory pros...ask them for some advise/tips on how they might make you a faster racer (most of them are very nice guys from what I've heard) Those guys can just look at your car, quickly tell you 3-4 things to change, and you'll be instantly faster. The average racer would probably learn more in a 10 minute conversation with a factory pro than a full day testing at a track...heck, that's probably worth the entry fee right there IMO.

I agree with everyone wanting to feel like part of the show, but how many racers walk up to the event promoter/track owner and thank them face to face for putting on a good event? I guess I don't see this as a having to be a one way street (owner thanking the racer). Go shake the guys hand for all the work he's done, and I'm willing to bet the owner will thank you for coming too.

Seriously, I can't imagine coordinating/running a 450+ entry race, dealing with inevitable technical problems, catering to the factory teams, and somehow making sure every racer at the track feels "important" or "recognized" in their own way. That sounds like a very daunting task to me...probably one that's next to impossible.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Default well said

I ran there yesterday and you would not even know they had a huge week long event, no burnout with the guys or track issues. I was in both Sat and Sund during the race and (forget his name) the guys who seems to always be there asked both days if there was anything he could help me with, and I was just whatching. I feel that is more than you could ask for.

Johnny is spot on with the "ASK SOMEONE"
Old 03-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The racers themselves have changed a lot too....and not always for the better.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

I have been a regular at the track for about a half a year now,(till I moved further away)
Its a great place with some great people always willing to help.

But I understand the original posters point of view.
I didn't enter because I didn't want to blow $100 on race fees and $200 on tires to go home with a t-shirt.

I know I wouldn't place well enough to win anything but with that kind of money involved I wouldn't mind receiving a plaque or momentum of participation.

A T-shirt is just not the same.
Its just different. Even if its stuck in the attic 20 years from now someone down the line will find it and say, "thats cool, look what I found"

I dont think that has ever happened with a t-shirt.

But hats off to the staff, it is a great track and establishment.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCHR
The racers themselves have changed a lot too....and not always for the better.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Couldn't agree more with the original post. I haven't even bothered attending the cactus classic specifically for all those reasons, even though I can now afford to. I grew up in the late 80s/early 90s, going to races with my father (who also has no interest in racing anymore for the same reasons), and I remember what racing was back then, and it was FUN. Now it's a bunch of whiny prima-donna man-sized children that think they're quarterbacks (who don't deserve their fame either), and promoters who care about NOTHING but the size of their wallets at the end of the day. And shockingly, that mentality does not work (on larger scales, it tends to crash an entire country's, or even the world's, economy. Maybe some of you have noticed that over the last couple years).

Maybe when all these big names/events fall off their high horses, normal people will be able to have fun again.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Addict

Default couldn't resist

sniffle sniffle
Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
and promoters who care about NOTHING but the size of their wallets at the end of the day.
If you are a hobby shop owner and out to make money and increase 'the size of your wallet' then you are in the wrong business.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Legend

For those who think their top 10 A main results are less when someone gets a 3rd place trophy in the D main ...........

Boooo ! Whooo !

However , I do feel more can be done for the recognition of results for the non sponsor driver...

In fact I always felt the manufactures & race promoters have miss the boat on this one.
They would receive a great deal of promotion value with prizes & rewards for these class's compared to what their giving the experts or professionals ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.