Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important??? >

Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STEALTH

Attend races and events organized and hosted by SCOTTY ERNST. You won't go home disappointed and you will find that "feel" your looking for. He is starting a Nation wide tour of his Short Course Showdown just like his Touring Car series in Europe... Attend it and you will go home with a smile on your face for sure!

Here is more info for those interested:

As I was reading the original post (which DOES NEED PARAGRAPH SPACING), i was thinking the exact same thing. I'm lucky enough to race at his home track in WI and he makes all races exciting. If there's a race for position on the track or some racers are battling, he'll get people out of their seats to see what's going on. I've seen it and it's fun racing at his races.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Revoke36
Gaylord Focker has an 8th place ribbon. Just say'n ..... Everyone likes a reward. I agree that a token of some sort to represent the OP's participation at this major event would be nice.
Everyone entered got a nice event shirt. Isnt that enough?
As to everyone saying Scotty is the answer you may have missed something. Although Scotty puts on good events and can announce a race with a bit of excitement, he can't be at every race. Zippy, the CC race announcer, did a great job. Maybe some people just didnt get some of his humor. The guy is allowed a break once in a while, is it possible the relief announcer could have been who everyone is complaining about?
Scotty put on the off road Reedy race this year at West Coast and only people in the A mains got a trophies/placks and there was nothing for winning a lower main. Nobody seemed to care at that race. I also don't recall seeing any participation t-shirts, ribbons, stickers or acknowledgment for entering that Scotty run race that was $125 to enter 2 classes. For practice you got 3 - 5 minute heats and thats it. At the CC you had 2 full days to practice and a wed. club race night to run.

Why wasnt there threads on here complaining after that race?

Last edited by PFKAOG; 03-25-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

As I've returned to rc racing after a 15 yr. hiatus, I am learning to become very selective on the events we travel to. Recently I competed at motorama in pennsylvania and endured over 400 entries, which equalled to two runs on saturday and two runs on sunday.

I agree with the fact that entries are not reasonably capped,but these tracks are in business for $$$. If you are looking for track time, these events are not for you.

I plan on attending cactus classic next year instead of motorama, at least with 400 entries I'll be in nice outdoor weather instead of indoors at a farm complex.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
Everyone entered got a nice event shirt. Isnt that enough?
As to everyone saying Scotty is the answer you may have missed something. Although Scotty puts on good events and can announce a race with a bit of excitement, he can't be at every race. Zippy, the CC race announcer, did a great job. Maybe some people just didnt get some of his humor. The guy is allowed a break once in a while, is it possible the relief announcer could have been who everyone is complaining about?
Scotty put on the off road Reedy race this year at West Coast and only people in the A mains got a trophies/placks and there was nothing for winning a lower main. Nobody seemed to care at that race. I also don't recall seeing any participation t-shirts, ribbons, stickers or acknowledgment for entering that Scotty run race that was $150 to enter 2 classes. Why wasnt there threads on here complaining after that race?
To clarify former pimp, im not complainig or crying but nearly expressing myself.

Oh youre talking about the reedy race of CHAMPIONS!! Where entrants fully have hope to win it all. Not like the cactus where the newbies just wana run a full weekend big race.

And again let me clarify, it's not a physical trophy but ACKNOWLEGMENT I'm requesting! Someone on this thread quoted it's the racers that fuel this hobby.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

That's a valid point, I know I would probaly feel the same way.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HARDOCOR RACING
To clarify former pimp, im not complainig or crying but nearly expressing myself.

Oh youre talking about the reedy race of CHAMPIONS!! Where entrants fully have hope to win it all. Not like the cactus where the newbies just wana run a full weekend big race.

And again let me clarify, it's not a physical trophy but ACKNOWLEGMENT I'm requesting! Someone on this thread quoted it's the racers that fuel this hobby.
did the track announcer not say thanks to all for coming out at the end of the day?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I agree with the original post. I do feel that he is not pointing a single finger at the SRS crew but merely using it as an example of alot of your bigger events. This year was my first year attending the event and I personally had a blast even with my 4th place in "F" main. With this being said though I do believe there has been something lost at these events and as for money, our local track just finished a "local"point series were over $5,000 in prizes were given away just in the raffel all of which was donated by various sponsors. Now I am not saying that every event needs to give this much away but having the chance to win something beyond your racing skill just adds to the fun of the event. After all out of 450+ enteries only arox. 50 are pros, so without the other 400 none pros you wouldn't even have enough for a good club night!

That all being said I would like to thank the SRS crew for a fun weekend and I will Definitely see ya next year!!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Some of these bigger races that are hoping to draw the avrage Joe to the race need to start thinking about where most of there money is coming from. The avrage guy probly makes up about 80% of those entrys and for some to sit there on the mic and say your running at a snails pace is un called for with the avrage racer suporting this hobbie most of these big races would probly die off . There just isn't 450 pro driver around to fill up a race as big as CC
Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artie's liver
did the track announcer not say thanks to all for coming out at the end of the day?
Yes, quite a few times as did others involved with putting on the event.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HARDOCOR RACING

I like your thread. I understand where you are coming from. I've been to some events and felt the same way.
Freebies are nice, but I think the economy has something to do with the lack of them these days.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STEALTH

Attend races and events organized and hosted by SCOTTY ERNST. You won't go home disappointed and you will find that "feel" your looking for. He is starting a Nation wide tour of his Short Course Showdown just like his Touring Car series in Europe... Attend it and you will go home with a smile on your face for sure!

Here is more info for those interested:

Plus one on this. I attended his Spektrum race for the first time this year and Scotty "gets it".

On a similar note, my local track, Leisure Hours Raceway, holds the Chitown Shootout every year and it gets bigger and better each year. The racing is great, the talent that comes is great, and the track/sponsors take care of us "regular guys" by giving a tshirt with your entry and top 3 trophies in almost every main down through the E. There is a huge raffle, a few dash for cash races in different classes, and an sc enduro. We had 323 entries this year and I am already looking forward to next March to attend the race again.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

I have been to numerous Cactus Classic's throughout the 12 or so years i have been racing. I do agree with the original poster about how these types of events are being put on has changed....but Casey makes a very valid point in saying that it is turning to a more professional type of event. My first cactus was when i was about 15 years old...i think me and my buddy ran 4wd mod and finished last and second to last...it was still fun though being in the event and on the same track that the pros which we had read about in magazines on. Back then the pros were off in the corner under a generic tent with their clique. I remember the concourse competitions (which Maifield's Dad won every year), and the raffles on sunday...it was definitely fun.

Fast forward to the present day Cactus (which i also attended) and that feel is completely different. The Associated, Losi, Kyosho and Pro-Line pits look very professional with the team canopies and the team drivers right there up front willing to answer any question or give setup tips to whomever. It is starting to have the Supercross feel to it.

There are more people and with technology of today they can run longer. This contributed to the long waits for track time on wednesday and thursday but the race directors handled this with controlled practice very well, the most i waited in line was about 15-20 minutes. The qualifying days were long but if your races were spaced out you had plenty of time to go grab a bite to eat at an actual restaurant and hang out with friends. This down time is also great for meeting/catching up with other racers that you may only see once or twice a year.

As far as the recognition goes...i disagree with the op. With the newer technology of brushless and lipo throughout the past few years it has helped the 'new' style of electric races tremendously in my opinion. Triple A mains were always fun but i think its more fun to try to make the Main event when its a 10-15 minute main. One of the guys i race with regularly bumped all the way from the E main to the B in 17.5 buggy...I am sure that it was very exciting for him to make it all the way up there, and i know that the announcer made sure to put that personal recognition into for those that were having the good runs, the bumps, the fantastic finishes. It is nearly impossible to make sure that everyone is happy, and if you have a bad run do you want the announcer to make it known?

Overall I had an excellent time at this years and hope to make next years as well. As SRS has gone through several owners there have been improvements each time to the facility and program, I can only see it getting better in the years to come.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Seems like the op is stuck in the old world where every body is a winner. Times have changed. On big events like this, unless you are one of the top guys then no one really cares. Why this bothers you is beyond me. Personally I go for the trigger time and see what others are doing. If and when I don't qualify for the important heats.....ohhhh well I still had a good time and got to enjoy my HOBBY. After all it is a.hobby right? No one is forcing you to do anything.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Lets break down the entries....

Someone said 50 pros?

So that leaves 400 "Joe Sportsmans"

Who do YOU think should be catered to?

Even if it was 100-150 pros.......
Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ricky Bobby said it best. "If you're not first, you're last!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.