Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xxfile
Maybe its just because these things tend to produce so much heat in some of the motors that we have them geared so low that they are topped out speed wise when the hit the jumps that there is no more wheel speed to be had to keep the nose up in the air.
It requires an increase in wheel speed to lift the front and if its topped out cuz its geared so low that could be one reason.
It might be interesting to see if an extra tooth or two fixes the nose down problem but at the expense of more heat.
maybe thats why the 1410 works better. it is lighter but that weight loss is from the back not the front.
just my 2cents.
i have the tekin 5,5 in mine and have not had a problem with the nose diving and no push on mine.
I ripped w/ mine the other day at the track (16/40 gearing) from the lap times I saw, I had her running just over a second off the pace of the pro nitro buggy drivers and funny enough my scte had the most laps of any qualifier for the entire day, granted some of the fast buggy drivers had some hiccups & slower qualifiers than normal. But moral.. the 1410 rocks. I didn't use any throttle tricks I just drove it, it will go nose down if you don't jump it right but if you jump it properly there are no issues. I posted my setup a few pages back, it worked REALLY well on the large 1/8 track. PS no front sway is the way to go on most tracks, iMO.

PS the tenshock 4600kv came today, guess I'll have to do some testing on this motor now too, funny I was thinking it was a 4000kv motor not 4600kv no wonder people think it has a little more pep than the 1410, 3800kv to 4600kv is a pretty big shot, not that gearing can't make up for that. Couple quick observations.. it's a pretty solid looking motor, and from feel it's got to weigh more than the 1410 as well. It does have a 5mm shaft so no reducer or special pinion is needed. Maybe Thursday I will run w/ this motor instead... hard to bring myself to change anything to be honest. Maybe it just goes in the tool box for my backup.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 05-03-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
I ripped w/ mine the other day at the track (16/40 gearing) from the lap times I saw, I had her running just over a second off the pace of the pro nitro buggy drivers and funny enough my scte had the most laps of any qualifier for the entire day, granted some of the fast buggy drivers had some hiccups & slower qualifiers than normal. But moral.. the 1410 rocks. I didn't use any throttle tricks I just drove it, it will go nose down if you don't jump it right but if you jump it properly there are no issues. I posted my setup a few pages back, it worked REALLY well on the large 1/8 track. PS no front sway is the way to go on most tracks, iMO.

PS the tenshock 4600kv came today, guess I'll have to do some testing on this motor now too, funny I was thinking it was a 4000kv motor not 4600kv no wonder people think it has a little more pep than the 1410, 3800kv to 4600kv is a pretty big shot, not that gearing can't make up for that. Couple quick observations.. it's a pretty solid looking motor, and from feel it's got to weigh more than the 1410 as well. It does have a 5mm shaft so no reducer or special pinion is needed. Maybe Thursday I will run w/ this motor instead... hard to bring myself to change anything to be honest. Maybe it just goes in the tool box for my backup.
Regarding the Tenshock 4600,

It has WAY more "pep" than the 1410 on the bottom and top (KV). It's obviously gonna have a little more on the top because of it KV but where this motor is impressive is on the bottom to mid. It will flat out destroy the 1410. Now with all that comes a price, heat! You won't be able to keep the temps under 200. The 4000 is gonna be where it's at!!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RACETEK
I'm almost 30 years deep in this sport. I can drive it. However, the changes I made did happen after I drove the truck, researched the truck, weighed the truck, balanced the truck, etc, etc, etc... Making it better is what I do. The top drivers you mention could drive anything fast, including the box it came in. Average joe drivers need all the help they can get. The better the truck is, the easier it is to drive, the faster they go. Simple as that. Everything I am offering is designed for the truck. The parts are designed to improve and convert the platform to a purpose built vehicle. Purposely designed to have a 2s lipo and a motor hanging off the opposite of where the motor was designed to be placed. Make no mistake, the platform was designed for nitro engines and was never re-engineered for a brushless platform. Simply put, if your good enough to be paid to drive, then your good enough to make an ill engineered vehicle look good. I am just trying to level the playing field.
+1000
I always make my cars better which includes changing the layout entirely and it makes a huge difference.
A more balanced car will always be more inspiring to drive harder and leads to more consistency and more consistency leads to faster laps, period.
My buddy who drives the same buggy as mine test drove my car the other day @ practice and he had to admit there was a huge difference. And there's really no difference in setup between his car and mine except all the custom made parts that helped change my layout for better balance.
My 2.0 and SCTE is only off a 1/2 oz. in crossweight which I take away in the springs to make it perfect.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S/X Runner
Regarding the Tenshock 4600,

It has WAY more "pep" than the 1410 on the bottom and top (KV). It's obviously gonna have a little more on the top because of it KV but where this motor is impressive is on the bottom to mid. It will flat out destroy the 1410. Now with all that comes a price, heat! You won't be able to keep the temps under 200. The 4000 is gonna be where it's at!!
my thoughts..

i've done a lot to reduce torque and increase run times in my 1/8 scales and always seem to have better lap times and control as I better match them. If the tenshock has more torque past being geared too tall and getting more 'effective' torque, then I know I don't want it. More torque past what the 1410 is giving me will do two things.. Reduce run times and make it more difficult to control. I hope just gearing it correctly will fix this, without calculating my guess is no racer should be geared over 13t iMO
Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
my thoughts..

i've done a lot to reduce torque and increase run times in my 1/8 scales and always seem to have better lap times and control as I better match them. If the tenshock has more torque past being geared too tall and getting more 'effective' torque, then I know I don't want it. More torque past what the 1410 is giving me will do two things.. Reduce run times and make it more difficult to control. I hope just gearing it correctly will fix this, without calculating my guess is no racer should be geared over 13t iMO
13t is still to big for this motor (heat wise). It needs a 11-12. The problem with that is you loose all the top end. The 4000 geared at 13-15 should be the ticket.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MasiisaM
Late June is what Horizon is calling for the truck. Is that what we should expect if we have an interest in the truck?
We are getting a shipment in the next few weeks.

Originally Posted by pword
does losi or horizon replaces the damaged gears due to bad pins? if not, it may not be too fair. especially the gears aren't available everywhere. just my 2 cents. still waiting for my so called 'better' pins though.
If you had gears damaged due to the pin failure, we will replace what we can. We have a very limited number of gears available that I had air shipped from our Europe warehouse as they still had some. As I posted before, this is the mold we had issues with. That being said, some will take advantage of this and I have informed CS that there is no way any truck owner toasted all 3 sets of their gears. I can see one set going out but as soon as that happens, the truck stops and all have been informed of the issue and to not run the truck with the bad pins. So, that being said, please only call if you really need a set. That way we can get everyone up and running again.

Originally Posted by SaladFork
Losi just replaces the pins, not the gears.
Please see above

Originally Posted by DHooter
how long is the wait for the new pins, i sent in my request form about 2 weeks ago
If you had your request form in a couple weeks ago, there were enough pins that came in to cover all of the requests so you should have them now or shortly. If it came in after that, you will be waiting about another week for the second shipment of them.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks Salad for the hook up, gettinmg me back on the track!
This guy is A1 in my book!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RACETEK
I'm almost 30 years deep in this sport. I can drive it. However, the changes I made did happen after I drove the truck, researched the truck, weighed the truck, balanced the truck, etc, etc, etc... Making it better is what I do. The top drivers you mention could drive anything fast, including the box it came in. Average joe drivers need all the help they can get. The better the truck is, the easier it is to drive, the faster they go. Simple as that. Everything I am offering is designed for the truck. The parts are designed to improve and convert the platform to a purpose built vehicle. Purposely designed to have a 2s lipo and a motor hanging off the opposite of where the motor was designed to be placed. Make no mistake, the platform was designed for nitro engines and was never re-engineered for a brushless platform. Simply put, if your good enough to be paid to drive, then your good enough to make an ill engineered vehicle look good. I am just trying to level the playing field.
Maybe they should pay me to drive this, truck drives better than my two previous trucks..Period!Upgrading is R/C nature and to build and provide for that is fine
but to call this truck ill engineered to promote your products is wrong in my book!!Box stock the best truck on the market!!!Can you make it better with your parts or any other parts? Yes,but not an ill engineered truck by any means!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

How important are the tiny little shims on the diff pins? the ones the sit next to the square pin retainers? I ran some of mine with them and some of mine without them. The ones with them look like they just are grinding into the pin blocks and look about flush now anyways. The ones I left them off look fine. So my question is will it be better to leave them off? Since they are just grinding groove into the sides anyways maybe even producing small amount of metal fragments.

Last question the droop screws I removed mine so they don't destroy my chassis. I don't see a real difference in ride height what purpose do they serve?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

alright, as of my last order from A-Main, I have jumped on to the RX8 bandwagon! hope their esc treats me better than castles.

got a couple CF goodies and a new proline body on the way!!!
so can't wait till they get here..
Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SCTRacerX
How important are the tiny little shims on the diff pins? the ones the sit next to the square pin retainers? I ran some of mine with them and some of mine without them. The ones with them look like they just are grinding into the pin blocks and look about flush now anyways. The ones I left them off look fine. So my question is will it be better to leave them off? Since they are just grinding groove into the sides anyways maybe even producing small amount of metal fragments.

Last question the droop screws I removed mine so they don't destroy my chassis. I don't see a real difference in ride height what purpose do they serve?
I thought about this as well, referring to the shims. I always thought they were so thin that I doubted they made any difference at all in centering the the gears. I know in my center diff, one of the shims was missing and I ran at least 7 packs through the truck before I tore open the diffs to put in the chrispins and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in that diff. I asked this same question a month ago and I didn't feel there was a definite answer on what would happen if you left those shims off.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

does anyone know if the new proline chevy body is something like the flow tech body..?

hope it is but not a big deal if it ain't will still be adding some kind of holes for air flow. tho I also wonder how important it is on this rig never cut the hole in the stock body and never really had a problem but a few times on the lower jumps that carry alot of speed.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SCTRacerX

The droop screws are there to limit the down travel in the suspension which can be a tuning aid for racing in different track conditions . they can also help protect the shock shafts from pulling out of the shock eyes from over extending in a crash .
Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Out of box setup except 3/5/1 in riffs. Ft shocks in lower middle hole. Track is hard hard dirt with a touch if dust at times. Im too loose of power entering the turn.using. caliber m2.it was ok at 8am but by later in the day it was a challange.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BmainStar
Maybe they should pay me to drive this, truck drives better than my two previous trucks..Period!Upgrading is R/C nature and to build and provide for that is fine
but to call this truck ill engineered to promote your products is wrong in my book!!Box stock the best truck on the market!!!Can you make it better with your parts or any other parts? Yes,but not an ill engineered truck by any means!
Please don't take that comment out of context as it was meant to be a general statement about several companies. Companies design vehicles to meet a vast genre of owners. From beginners to experts. Some people require more performance than others. If that means digging deep into the vehicle to find out what makes it tick in an attempt to make it better than so be it. I am glad the truck is the best thing you have ever owned. For you that is satisfactory and that's awesome. For other people a box stock truck that is good enough for one is not good enough for another.
As for promoting my products, it is what it is. I do not sit around and think of things to make for a specific vehicle just for the sake of making them. If you want that there are several other companies out there. If you want well thought out, tested, proven products that have a true purpose and reason then come to me.
Is this truck ill engineered? IMO in some aspects yes.. In other aspects no.. It depends on what part of the market you are looking to and what you are looking to get from a certain platform.
Companies make very little on the 'racing' side of the market. Companies like Traxxas didn't make their millions selling race vehicles. The way I see it, Losi has a racing background and to some degree are expected to produce a race vehicle by the consumers. However, times are changing. I am sure it was much easier / cheaper for Losi to re-badge an existing platform in favor of designing a new one. Financially it makes sense. The company gets another 'life' out of an existing platform, we buy it and all is well. There is no expenditure on testing, engineering, aftermarket hop ups, etc.. It is all the same as what is already existing, just smaller.
Had Losi engineered a purpose built electric short course truck, I bet the pro's would go even faster than they already are. Do I blame Losi for bringing the truck in its current form to market? Not in the least. It gives people / hobbyists like me something to do. I started posting my findings as a source of information that grew into a possible product line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.