Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flame56mx
Thats not very hard to do..lol We have 6-10 22's at our track, and a few have tried to run a gear diff. None have them in their cars any longer, they may work better in a higher traction situation..? I ran one in my Sc10 once when they first came out, couldn't get it to feel right.
man I'm the only one with the 22 at my track ..so far on clay its nice..ask your buds to send me some extra gear diffs..since they're not using them
Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by e_lu_sive1
yup way less maintenance !!!!!! I'm constantly checking my ball diff after every run!
if the ball diff is built right you shouldnt have to check the diff after every run..i check it acouple times right after i rebuild mine throughout the break in period but after that i dont mess with it too much until the next rebuild
Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dougoilman661
What's the advantage of having a ball differential over a gear differential?
More steering and higher corner speed.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by B.A. Racer
if the ball diff is built right you shouldnt have to check the diff after every run..i check it acouple times right after i rebuild mine throughout the break in period but after that i dont mess with it too much until the next rebuild
oh i do..but i found that sometimes the stock balls are poor in craftsmanship. I had one of my diff balls split in half! ouch! lol ..so thats y i always have to check for "gritty-ness"
Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Just curious if anyone has tried running associated oil in the shocks, for instance same base setup 27.5 front and 25 rear, and were there any performance changes good or bad. The reason I'm asking is some oil's can be the same weight but be different in viscosity and therefore could possibly change performance which I'm sure would be hard to notice. I've been running losi oil since I got the kit but I do have various associated oils laying around, any feedback would be great.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RB5SP
Just curious if anyone has tried running associated oil in the shocks, for instance same base setup 27.5 front and 25 rear, and were there any performance changes good or bad. The reason I'm asking is some oil's can be the same weight but be different in viscosity and therefore could possibly change performance which I'm sure would be hard to notice. I've been running losi oil since I got the kit but I do have various associated oils laying around, any feedback would be great.
trail and error..just have to try them out..i see no difference..maybe only in price..lol
Old 02-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yes i did this and not to take anything away from the asc. oil but it has to be thicker or something because thats what my car felt like. If you want to run asc. oil i believe your gonna want to go down 2.5-5w.
EDIT: Ambient air temp was very cold for an indoor track lol.

As far as all the ball diff. talk, i tore mine apart quickly before my first heat yesterday because after about 4-5 race days running mod and hammering on it, it went from butter to feeling a tad dry. I cleaned everything with motor spray and re-lubed it, did not flip washers, re-broke it in quickly in the car following the latest tlr video on that (Matt Castelano's i believe) and its back to butter again. And when i say hammering on it, im coming on to our 130' straight pinned out of a short little s turn. Diff is snug, 1/2 turn med. flick.
EDIT: not to take anything away from the latest TLR parts but i am running a bfast kit, ceramic thrusts and carbide diff balls. Id recommend servicing your diff as soon as it stops feeling butter smooth and just do what is above. Then after you've serviced it a few times might as well flip the rings. I've had a bfast diff last months with club racing 2-3 times a week. And i put a fresh one in for a 2.4 hour endurance race and it was still butter after it all running an 8.5. Most important thing is to get them at the proper tension and leave them alone and not let it slip.

Last edited by Eli; 02-26-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Just rebuilt my ball diff with losi hard balls, Avid ceramic thrust balls and stock out of the package rings. It is the best and smoothest ball diff I have ever built.

Silky smooth.

That being said does anyone have a spare or lightly used gear diff they would like to let go? I want to try one in my brothers 22 and it would be one less thing I have to maintain on his car.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by e_lu_sive1
oh i do..but i found that sometimes the stock balls are poor in craftsmanship. I had one of my diff balls split in half! ouch! lol ..so thats y i always have to check for "gritty-ness"
Ever heard the phrase "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"? Run BFast diff balls, end of story. No quality issues with BFast stuff. The only thing that destroys diff balls is running the diff too loose, and letting it slip. Just one tiny little slip is all it takes. Just one bark and the balls have flat spots that will cause the rings to wear at a faster rate. This increase in wear will also cause the diff to loosen up more, thus being more susceptible to slipping agian. As you can see, it is a very slippery slope that once you start down, there is no recovery. The only thing you can do is start over with new diff balls, and new or resurfaced rings.

The steps between weight and manufactures are not linear. Basically the step from 20 to 25 is not the same as the step from 25 to 30. The WT numbers don't correlate to anything, except one another. They are just numbers picked out of the sky. Losi 25 wt is thicker than Losi 20 weight, and that is about all you can guarantee. Ambient tempurature also has an effect on the oil as well. Your best bet for accuracy is to stick with a single brand. Or switch over to an oil that is CST rated. CST or centistrokes, is an actual measurment of fluid viscosity, so as long as an oil is accurately labeled, you could in theory switch between any CST measured oil and it should yield the same handling characteristics. Now it is possible that different brands of oil, whether labeled WT or CST, would respond differently to temperature. Like was stated earlier, the absolute best thing is to pick one brand and stay with that. Losi is nice because it is certified and colored. AE is now made by Lucas, so it is probably also very consistant. A couple drops of food coloring would make the AE oils easier to identify if you are not very good at remembering what you have in your shocks.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Well, since were on the shock topic..After running mine last night, it feels rigid and edgy..I am running basically the Root setup with a few changes..
27.5 yellow rr
27.5 orange/red frt.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by burris7555
Just rebuilt my ball diff with losi hard balls, Avid ceramic thrust balls and stock out of the package rings. It is the best and smoothest ball diff I have ever built.

Silky smooth.

That being said does anyone have a spare or lightly used gear diff they would like to let go? I want to try one in my brothers 22 and it would be one less thing I have to maintain on his car.
sweet! let us know how many runs you get out of those before rebuild..

Originally Posted by flame56mx
Well, since were on the shock topic..After running mine last night, it feels rigid and edgy..I am running basically the Root setup with a few changes..
27.5 yellow rr
27.5 orange/red frt.
I'm running the same shock oil..27.5 stock..and springs stock..yellow rr
red frt. my ride height ??? i just played around a bit..still needs a lil dialing in but i can drive it..
Old 02-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

The “weight” of oil is in fact based on a long established viscosity measurement.

Although I agree various brands are slightly different, it is somewhat well known that AE and Losi are about a half step apart.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Well i'm running my TLR 22 Mid Motor indoor carpet with the RTR gear diff from losi.
And it's way better then the stock diff from TLR
Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The losi oils generally have a slightly higher cst than the identically labled associated oils.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by h8thatadmin
Ever heard the phrase "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"? Run BFast diff balls, end of story. No quality issues with BFast stuff. The only thing that destroys diff balls is running the diff too loose, and letting it slip. Just one tiny little slip is all it takes. Just one bark and the balls have flat spots that will cause the rings to wear at a faster rate. This increase in wear will also cause the diff to loosen up more, thus being more susceptible to slipping agian. As you can see, it is a very slippery slope that once you start down, there is no recovery. The only thing you can do is start over with new diff balls, and new or resurfaced rings.

ok. well this was the first run at the track so i could blame losi for having only 1 ball diff spilt straight down the middle..im sure they get those from china..well, i thought the opposite.. the diff balls would wear bc of the rings being applied too much pressure..those are the only flat surface i see causing a flat surface on a round surface..plus I'm sure you will get a diff ball dud..checking the tolerance on that tiny diff ball gotta be a pain..

The steps between weight and manufactures are not linear. Basically the step from 20 to 25 is not the same as the step from 25 to 30. The WT numbers don't correlate to anything, except one another. They are just numbers picked out of the sky. Losi 25 wt is thicker than Losi 20 weight, and that is about all you can guarantee. Ambient tempurature also has an effect on the oil as well. Your best bet for accuracy is to stick with a single brand. Or switch over to an oil that is CST rated. CST or centistrokes, is an actual measurment of fluid viscosity, so as long as an oil is accurately labeled, you could in theory switch between any CST measured oil and it should yield the same handling characteristics. Now it is possible that different brands of oil, whether labeled WT or CST, would respond differently to temperature. Like was stated earlier, the absolute best thing is to pick one brand and stay with that. Losi is nice because it is certified and colored. AE is now made by Lucas, so it is probably also very consistant. A couple drops of food coloring would make the AE oils easier to identify if you are not very good at remembering what you have in your shocks.
on the shock oil..again..trail and error..you have to see what works for u (the driver) and track conditions..

Originally Posted by burris7555

Silky smooth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.