Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aradaiel
How did you match the springs? Losi shock tool with no fluid in shocks?
I use a scale and compress them to 1" with a drill press.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the wheel
it really is not great anywhere the rear is real snappy getting on power out of turns ,pushy off power ,and if you try to push it it gets slower and twitchy ,it is really hard to explain i guess
What kind of track are you running on, low or high traction, bumpy or smooth etc.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Root

Started with the root setup made some minor tweaks and rear link changes along with some weight distribution and the 22 is on rails! Wow! BTW it's a RTR
Old 04-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Thanks for that. That is what is in it right now. I may try a little thicker next time out just to see how it drives.
I'm running 3000 and loving it
Med bite clay
Old 04-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=the wheel;10546333]guys i have been running the 22 for about 3 months now and i just can not get it to handle the way i want , it is really unforgiving,i have tried multiple set-ups and i just am not able to push this car ,it is very much a touchy car ,i have had frank roots set-ups on it ,dustin evans reedy set-up and i played with both and now i am working back to the stock set-up and it is a little better but still very touchy,any suggestions or is this the car itself or is it the set-up or just me, alittle help guys please i run 10.5 on a med to high bite tight track[/

I'll share the specs of my 22 with you and you can decide for yourself. I feel like I can really push the 22 and put it wherever I want whenever I want it's on rails. It's similar to the root set up but with a few minor tweaks. I'll post it tomorrow

Last edited by Josey Wales; 04-02-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Med bite clay. But I feel this set up would be good anywhere. Along with some tire changes and shock changes.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

guys i have been running the 22 for about 3 months now and i just can not get it to handle the way i want , it is really unforgiving,i have tried multiple set-ups and i just am not able to push this car ,it is very much a touchy car ,i have had frank roots set-ups on it ,dustin evans reedy set-up and i played with both and now i am working back to the stock set-up and it is a little better but still very touchy,any suggestions or is this the car itself or is it the set-up or just me, alittle help guys please i run 10.5 on a med to high bite tight track
Did you run a lot of 8th scale before you got the 22 ?
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brad996
LOL, that's exactly what I was wondering
Old 04-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default set up

Originally Posted by brad996
yes i did for about five years
Old 04-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Default set

[QUOTE=Josey Wales;10547273]
guys i have been running the 22 for about 3 months now and i just can not get it to handle the way i want , it is really unforgiving,i have tried multiple set-ups and i just am not able to push this car ,it is very much a touchy car ,i have had frank roots set-ups on it ,dustin evans reedy set-up and i played with both and now i am working back to the stock set-up and it is a little better but still very touchy,any suggestions or is this the car itself or is it the set-up or just me, alittle help guys please i run 10.5 on a med to high bite tight track[/

I'll share the specs of my 22 with you and you can decide for yourself. I feel like I can really push the 22 and put it wherever I want whenever I want it's on rails. It's similar to the root set up but with a few minor tweaks. I'll post it tomorrow
thanks that will be great that is what i need is to be able to throw it around alittle with it still wanting to hold its line
Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

Default set up

Originally Posted by Jeremey
What kind of track are you running on, low or high traction, bumpy or smooth etc.
mid to high traction smooth ,tight track with alot of 180s
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

guys i have been running the 22 for about 3 months now and i just can not get it to handle the way i want , it is really unforgiving,i have tried multiple set-ups and i just am not able to push this car ,it is very much a touchy car ,i have had frank roots set-ups on it ,dustin evans reedy set-up and i played with both and now i am working back to the stock set-up and it is a little better but still very touchy,any suggestions or is this the car itself or is it the set-up or just me, alittle help guys please i run 10.5 on a med to high bite tight track
If you're used to running an 1/8th scale and go to an electric 2wd buggy that is a huge jump. The two are two totally different worlds. 2wd buggy is MUCH more sensitive to the track and to set up changes. What kind of track are you running on? 80% of your setup is tires. From what you've described (off power push, rear end getting squirelly when on the gas), it sounds like you don't have the right tires for your track. Talk to the fast guys and see what tires they are running.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Addict

Default tires

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
If you're used to running an 1/8th scale and go to an electric 2wd buggy that is a huge jump. The two are two totally different worlds. 2wd buggy is MUCH more sensitive to the track and to set up changes. What kind of track are you running on? 80% of your setup is tires. From what you've described (off power push, rear end getting squirelly when on the gas), it sounds like you don't have the right tires for your track. Talk to the fast guys and see what tires they are running.
thanks bud ,bud yes your right but my tires are almost exactly the same as what everyone is running were they are running losi and jc tires i am running panther,but i have to stay with panther but they are about .5 to 1.0 a lap faster i mean if i completely stay right on my lines and smooth as silk i am not far off i mean i got 7th in the Amain out of 42 guys but i just cannot push it and if it was a little more forgiving and consistant i could get away from some of the little bobbles i think and run with them better,i ran my buddies 22 and he has it in mid motor and it was way more forgiving and able to be pushed more what do you think
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

thanks bud ,bud yes your right but my tires are almost exactly the same as what everyone is running were they are running losi and jc tires i am running panther,but i have to stay with panther but they are about .5 to 1.0 a lap faster i mean if i completely stay right on my lines and smooth as silk i am not far off i mean i got 7th in the Amain out of 42 guys but i just cannot push it and if it was a little more forgiving and consistant i could get away from some of the little bobbles i think and run with them better,i ran my buddies 22 and he has it in mid motor and it was way more forgiving and able to be pushed more what do you think
Give the mid motor set up a try then. I usually don't go with the factory guys setups cause I'm not them. Granted, I changed to Frank Root's setup and love it, but not everyone likes it. It's all in your driving style. If the fast guys are only a second or less faster then you, then you just need some practice. You will never be able to push this car like you can an 1/8th scale. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slyts6
It's dry, outdoor clay....
Well Jconcepts makes awesome tires, i would check out their website and see what looks like it would work. Without me seeing it its really hard to say. I run gold barcodes but im running on an indoor damp clat track.
Since you are running on an outdorr clay track it probably gets a groove in it on the racing line so orange compound might work really well or blue, im sure green would too but would wear very fast, i would try some version 1 or 2 orange or blue barcodes if you cant ask any locals with the new medium foam 3206-2 from jconcepts. Red bk bars would probably work too.

Last edited by Eli; 04-02-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Default set

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
Give the mid motor set up a try then. I usually don't go with the factory guys setups cause I'm not them. Granted, I changed to Frank Root's setup and love it, but not everyone likes it. It's all in your driving style. If the fast guys are only a second or less faster then you, then you just need some practice. You will never be able to push this car like you can an 1/8th scale. Good luck!
thanks bud i think i will just play with longer rear camber links to see how it does they say the 20 kick shim gives more steering is that true

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.