Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I know there was some talk a while back about the ghea pistons but has anyone tried these and liked them? They are not cheap so im sorta leery about trying them at about $26 a set, not to mention they're a metric size so there not gonna be an exact replacement. Seems a 1.3mm is close to a #55 hole. I can make my own tapered pistons but was curious if these have a better seal around the shock body. They do give the specs but i don't have the proper tools to measure the exact shock bore correctly and accurately with it being approx. 12mm. Guess i can compare the stock pistons to their specs and make a decision. Not saying there is anything wrong with the stock pistons just like to try different things plus my home track is kinda geared for 8th scale even it being in doors the jumps are fairly large so i kinda need that extra pack on hard landings.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Got the bfast diff in and what a huge difference in feel compared to the stock diff. Cant wait to hit the track now.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Eli
I know there was some talk a while back about the ghea pistons but has anyone tried these and liked them? They are not cheap so im sorta leery about trying them at about $26 a set, not to mention they're a metric size so there not gonna be an exact replacement. Seems a 1.3mm is close to a #55 hole. I can make my own tapered pistons but was curious if these have a better seal around the shock body. They do give the specs but i don't have the proper tools to measure the exact shock bore correctly and accurately with it being approx. 12mm. Guess i can compare the stock pistons to their specs and make a decision. Not saying there is anything wrong with the stock pistons just like to try different things plus my home track is kinda geared for 8th scale even it being in doors the jumps are fairly large so i kinda need that extra pack on hard landings.
I just picked up a pair of digital calipers from harbor freight tools, They come with a hardcase and seem to be descent quality for $20.00
Old 02-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chaseman1
I just picked up a pair of digital calipers from harbor freight tools, They come with a hardcase and seem to be descent quality for $20.00
Chase, i have several sets of calipers but i was thinking of a different measuring tool, i forgot the name for it but there made for checking bore diameters accurately. It might be hard to get an accurate measure with calipers (im sure i just pissed off alot of people) i'll use some micrometers to measure the stock pistons and compare them to how they look in the shock bodies and go from there.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kjohnsiii
Got the bfast diff in and what a huge difference in feel compared to the stock diff. Cant wait to hit the track now.
You know if BK runs them it makes a diff-rence, I change over from stock to B-Fast diffs, loved it makes the car so good I don't think you could get a better buggy, anywhere !
Carl Knight
Old 02-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm doing a new buildup and I used the Associated slipper, the question is will those odd shaped pads stay in there correctly using the stock spur?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jketron
I'm doing a new buildup and I used the Associated slipper, the question is will those odd shaped pads stay in there correctly using the stock spur?
Make sure to use the Losi slipper plate on the inside, then you can you the AE plate and spring on the outside. I tried both AE plates, and it would bind up the top shaft, but maybe I missed something. You will need to use AE slipper pads with the AE spur, Losi pads with the Losi spur, they wont interchange, but the plates will work with either. Hope I didnt confuse you..
Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ok so I need to change out the losi spur to a Ae and then use the losi first slipper plate, ae pad, ae spur, ae plate, losi spring shim and nut
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I use all A/E on my slipper.

How do you keep from these shocks leaking like crazy after 1 day? I run 1 high friction and 1 low per shock.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teambcw

How do you keep from these shocks leaking like crazy after 1 day? I run 1 high friction and 1 low per shock.
I tried that, and my slipper was all bound up, wouldn't spin freely when I put tension on the spring. I use the normal seals (black) but I am using a clear non xring Kyosho seal in the upper, and a Losi in the lower, no leaks atm..
Old 02-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Whats wrong with the losi slipper? I run mod, set mine so it lifts the front tires about 3-4 inches and it never gives me issues. However i see people with ae cars having issues and people using them in their 22 with issues. Ill spare everyone on why i think the losi slipper is better.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eli
Whats wrong with the losi slipper? I run mod, set mine so it lifts the front tires about 3-4 inches and it never gives me issues. However i see people with ae cars having issues and people using them in their 22 with issues. Ill spare everyone on why i think the losi slipper is better.
If you are having a A/E slipper problem in an A/E car then you have way bigger problems. I have never had any slipper problems with my A/E cars, the only reason I switched it on the 22 is because I have so much extra A/E stuff.... Now the real problem I have had is the Diff, I built one with the " really good" TLR diff balls and it felt bad in 6 packs. I was so bummed, I had a local Losi driver do my next diff for me and it lasted 7 packs. So I am running as much A/E diff stuff as possible to see if it makes a difference. I have only put 5 through it now and it still feels great, I am using ceramic balls now to.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Eli
Tech Master

If you are having a A/E slipper problem in an A/E car then you have way bigger problems. I have never had any slipper problems with my A/E cars, the only reason I switched it on the 22 is because I have so much extra A/E stuff.... Now the real problem I have had is the Diff, I built one with the " really good" TLR diff balls and it felt bad in 6 packs. I was so bummed, I had a local Losi driver do my next diff for me and it lasted 7 packs. So I am running as much A/E diff stuff as possible to see if it makes a difference. I have only put 5 through it now and it still feels great, I am using ceramic balls now to.
Im running the bfast diff kit with carbide diff balls and ceramic thrusts and have five race days and it went from butter to a feeling that it needs to be re-lubed at race day number 5 but still smooth so im gonna dis-assemble and check it out and most likely just flip the rings and get another 4-5 race days before i have to either service it or replace the rings.
Unfortunately i have had the same problems with the "good" tlr diff balls but just kept running it and it wasnt bad just not butter.
Im sure you know you are supposed to run it snug, dont over do it cause that will cause it to go out sooner ive found.
A while back i tried ceramic diff balls and had very bad luck with them but it could have been due to my diff not being tight enough im not sure but i havent gone back to them since afterwards i found out that ceramics slip easier and that was the problem i was having.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jketron
There is nothing wrong with the Losi slipper . That design has been used for a long time and works great . No need for AE parts .
Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

It's difficult to do with the low friction shocks, but store the car upside down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.