Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The better question is, why would you put a graphite chassis on a car that was designed around an aluminum one?

We did this back in the RC10 (B1) days, the car always ran better with the aluminum tub.

That said, $240 is crazy high. So is $125 for a flat sheet.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Trying to get the shock set up right for my track. The stock set up was WAY too stiff with 27wt oil front and rear with yellow springs in the back and red up front, with 55 pistons. I was running middle outside in the front, and middle inside in the rear. The only thing that was not stock was the bladders were cut out.

I will now run 56 pistons with 22.5wt in the rear with yellow or white springs, and 25wt or 27.5wt with red springs in the front. Bladders cut.

I run at SRS which is a medium bite dirt track, watered for club racing.

Am I going in the right direction?

I asked my local pros for their set ups. One was running 22.5 in the rear and 27.5 in the front, but I can't recall the springs he used.

The other pro was using some custom cut, progressive rate, double secret spring and piston set up that I was not even going to attempt to replicate.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zipperfoot
Trying to get the shock set up right for my track. The stock set up was WAY too stiff with 27wt oil front and rear with yellow springs in the back and red up front, with 55 pistons. I was running middle outside in the front, and middle inside in the rear. The only thing that was not stock was the bladders were cut out.

I will now run 56 pistons with 22.5wt in the rear with yellow or white springs, and 25wt or 27.5wt with red springs in the front. Bladders cut.

I asked my local pros for their set ups. One was running 22.5 in the rear and 27.5 in the front, but I can't recall the springs he used.

The other pro was using some custom cut, progressive rate, double secret spring and piston set up that I was not even going to attempt to replicate.
I would ask Chris Wheeler (local) what his setup is, and give that a try.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tripthreat
I would ask Chris Wheeler (local) what his setup is, and give that a try.
Hey Frank...

Shouts for your latest posted setup, it's working well for me.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by zipperfoot

sent you a pm with his set up

Last edited by losi_racer; 01-03-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:26 AM
Tech Addict

This may be a weird/dumb question to ask, though I'm beginning to work on my 22 for the first time.

First thing is I want to try a different rear toe setup. What is the best/easiest way to getting to the rear toe block to change it out? What needs or should be taken off to get to it fastest? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by celt
Hey Frank...

Shouts for your latest posted setup, it's working well for me.
Thanks, I am glad it is working well.

Originally Posted by losi_racer
sent you a pm with his set up
Thanks for helping.

Originally Posted by twigman08
This may be a weird/dumb question to ask, though I'm beginning to work on my 22 for the first time.

First thing is I want to try a different rear toe setup. What is the best/easiest way to getting to the rear toe block to change it out? What needs or should be taken off to get to it fastest? Thanks.
You need to remove the tranny:

2 screws from bottom of chassis
2 screws from top/front of tranny case
2 screws from the wing mount to tower
1 .050" screw from toe block
Old 01-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tripthreat

Thanks for helping.
Yup , his set up is great for Srs .
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Whats a good start for gearing with an 8.5?
Im running at wcrc if that helps. Thanks

Last edited by chaseman1; 01-04-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Are the front spindle bearings metric on the 22?

What about the rear hub bearings, metric as well?

Thanks, Krom.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kromulous

Thanks, Krom.
5x10 the same as most clutch bell bearings. losi has a heavy duty 5x10 for the eight, come 2 in the package for like 7.00 +/-
Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by chaseman1
Whats a good start for gearing with an 8.5?
Im running at wcrc if that helps. Thanks
22/78 or 21/76

Originally Posted by Kromulous

Thanks, Krom.
Yes, all metric.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadB.
I have been battling the same issue for awhile now. My car would have pretty good steering and the back end would not have any grip at all. The best advice I could give you is to tighten up your diff a lot more to get the rear end to be more stable, change the rear toe block to 3 degree and to get white springs for the rear. The setup I have been running for awhile now is Frank Roots. It is pretty good. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes. Also, check your slipper pads to see if they are glazed. If they are, sand them down with 600 grit.
I'm having exactly the opposite problem. I'm running Root's setup (save for the brass kick shim, which should be here tonight!) on my Mod 22 and a slight variation on my stock car. The rear the mod car is TOO locked down and I get wicked on-power understeer. It's extremely stable and easy to drive, but on our local very tight, small indoor track it seems to lack steering. Stock is very similar, save for a 3.0* HRC toe block. Really seems to let the car rotate around corners better.

The added weight of the brass kick shim should help get some steering back into this thing but as it sits now, it's a little lazy feeling. Confidence inspiring but I have to change my lines up in order to get back on the power sooner. Any tips to get some more mid corner and on-power exit steering?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by needknees
I'm having exactly the opposite problem. I'm running Root's setup (save for the brass kick shim, which should be here tonight!) on my Mod 22 and a slight variation on my stock car. The rear the mod car is TOO locked down and I get wicked on-power understeer. It's extremely stable and easy to drive, but on our local very tight, small indoor track it seems to lack steering. Stock is very similar, save for a 3.0* HRC toe block. Really seems to let the car rotate around corners better.

The added weight of the brass kick shim should help get some steering back into this thing but as it sits now, it's a little lazy feeling. Confidence inspiring but I have to change my lines up in order to get back on the power sooner. Any tips to get some more mid corner and on-power exit steering?

Thanks!
Few things you can try

Stiffer rear spring
Add more travel limiters to front shocks
Add more anti squat
Add washers to inside front ball stud
Add washers to outside rear ball stud
Add some toe-out to front

Edit: try different front or rear tire that will increase front bite and reduce rear bite
Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by needknees

Thanks!
I race on a similar style track as well. A few things you can try is going stiffer in rear. Start with Yellow's, if it still pushing on power then go to Pink. I would also try putting in 2 degree anti squat, this is what I run and I have more than enough on-power steering. Also, make sure you have 2-3 mm of limiters in the front shocks. This really helps a lot. The most important and first thing you want to check is your dual rate. If it is down to low, you aren't taking advantage of all the steering this thing has.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.