Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
I'd take a Dremel and grind the nut off completely or grind the head off the screw. Need new stuff in there anyway.
Originally Posted by Shocker
Since there's no way to get a dremel in there, maybe try using JB Weld and fasten the 2.0 allen wrench that comes with the kit in there.
Originally Posted by F N CUDA

Dremel has deburring bits/grinding bits that are very small and will grind the head of that screw right off.
Home Depot or similar.
Not talkin bout a cutoff wheel.
Can even drill the head off the screw if it's the hex inside the head of the screw that's stripped?

Can do the same thing if it's the nut side that is stripped.
Originally Posted by Shocker
Easy bud, I didn't even see your post until I went back and tried to figure out why you got so defensive. I was simply trying to respond to his question.
Thought you didn't like my idea No hard feelings, I won't mess with stuff and will grind and drill in an instant

Ruffy had us both covered anyway and got his remedy applied.

As for ditching the Evans setup, I started going a step at a time back towards the kit setup also til I got mine to be much better.
The Evans setup does steer like crazy and is dialed when the track is super hooked up but if conditions aren't super sticky like West Coast Raceway where the setup was run then leaning toward the kit setup will help the loose exit by helping the car push more.
If you go full kit setup tho you can lose that great steering into the corner.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korgae
Drove my 22 last night for the 1st time. I have the Evens setup on it minus the 3.5 rear block. I used the short pack and ESC on the tower. I also have the 2mm Traxxas wheel hexes on the car.

I have not driven 2wd buggy for about 13 years so I know I have a lot to re learn in setup.

The car was kinda good for the 1st run but was not what I expected after reading all the positive reviews.

For me the car with this setup over rotates mid corner and then just spins on corner exit. Forward traction could be better as well in my opinion.

As my rear tires wore the car just got worse and worse. which tells me the overall balance of the car is off.

I tried playing with the placement of the battery as well but really was not happy with it all the way back or all the way forward.. is there a go to placement with the short pack? I would like to just have a set place and tune around it.

Can someone recommend some changes to make to stop the over rotating and spins?

Thanks in advance.
To stop the car from over rotating in the corners remove or reduce the spacers under the front camber link (on the block)

I beleive you can also change the camber link in the rear to 1-A link to help with rear bite.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Ditch the evans setup and go to box stock.. including antisquat, caster combo, etc... You get much better rear-end stability... much easier to drive. The other setup you were following is designed to make the care more agressive.
I'm gonna try this on my next free practice day.

Also...this should be a no-brainer, but make sure you have the right tires for your track!! I tried the V.2 gold barcodes and they absolutely stunk compared to the original barcodes.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

Drove my 22 last night for the 1st time. I have the Evens setup on it minus the 3.5 rear block. I used the short pack and ESC on the tower. I also have the 2mm Traxxas wheel hexes on the car.

I have not driven 2wd buggy for about 13 years so I know I have a lot to re learn in setup.

The car was kinda good for the 1st run but was not what I expected after reading all the positive reviews.

For me the car with this setup over rotates mid corner and then just spins on corner exit. Forward traction could be better as well in my opinion.

As my rear tires wore the car just got worse and worse. which tells me the overall balance of the car is off.

I tried playing with the placement of the battery as well but really was not happy with it all the way back or all the way forward.. is there a go to placement with the short pack? I would like to just have a set place and tune around it.

Can someone recommend some changes to make to stop the over rotating and spins?

Thanks in advance.
How was your diff set? Per Dyno's advice I run my diff very tight, I test it by flicking the wheels in opposite directions and the wheels only move about a 1/4 turn, I have seen a few people with the same corner exit issue your describing and found them to be setting there diff the traditional way which per Dyno's explanation is too loose since the car has a longer wheelbase.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks for all the help guys..

I like the way the car steers into the corner right now, just not mid and exit... it just kept steering or rotating.. so I might stick it out with this set up and try messing with it to dial in more to my track. ( Med bite clay indoor with lots of ruts)

I am assuming the longer link in the rear will give more rear traction? I am running 2/B and will try 1/A to help.

Ordered the front Orange springs

Will try increasing the front droop and decreasing the rear droop to help with W/T

Will try *3 of anti squat as well

Tire choice at my track is difficult at best, it also hurts that I have the desire to try every type of tire and that adds up quick.. For tires these days do most guys stick to a brand and just run there offerings ( all Losi or all PL or all JC) or is there lots of mixing and matching.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by C-Dub
How was your diff set? Per Dyno's advice I run my diff very tight, I test it by flicking the wheels in opposite directions and the wheels only move about a 1/4 turn, I have seen a few people with the same corner exit issue your describing and found them to be setting there diff the traditional way which per Dyno's explanation is too loose since the car has a longer wheelbase.
BFast carbide and ceramic, Diff is super smooth and does not slip.. but it is free spinning.. If I hold the car in the air and flick the wheels I get about 1 and 1/2 rotations out of the other side.. (if I understand your method correctly)
Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I had tire collectoritis at one point and it sucks. I've got a bin full of useless (to me) tires. I've settled on Losi BK Bars out back and Tapers in front, both pink. Always consistent, cheap, and works at every track I've been to.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Tire choice at my track is difficult at best, it also hurts that I have the desire to try every type of tire and that adds up quick.. For tires these days do most guys stick to a brand and just run there offerings ( all Losi or all PL or all JC) or is there lots of mixing and matching.
I tend to emulate what the best drivers are doing...knowing it's the "lazy man's" way. Most at my track are running JC gold barcodes all the way around with varying insert preferences. My track time is so limited I'd rather not spend race nights figuring things out (but I've been doing that lately anyway ).
Old 05-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

BFast carbide and ceramic, Diff is super smooth and does not slip.. but it is free spinning.. If I hold the car in the air and flick the wheels I get about 1 and 1/2 rotations out of the other side.. (if I understand your method correctly)
Korgae, That would be way too loose of a diff then, Dyno explained to me that with the longer wheel base you must run the diff tighter because when accelerating out of the corner if the inside wheel begins to diff out it will have far more effect because of the longer wheelbase, I ran my diff on a normal setting the first night with the car back before the Cactus Classic and was experiencing the same issue you are describing. After speaking with Dyno at the Cactus and him explaining the theory and setting the diff tighter the car has plenty of forward traction coming out of a corner.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I did some measuring of my car last night. I was under the impression that +2mm for the hexes was a per side thing so I put on the new TLR clamping hexes at +1.5mm. Measured the car and it was too wide in the rear. I put on the +.75 hexes and it is ok. So in conclusion I wanted to make it clear that on the dustin setup when it says +2mm in the rear that is 1mm per side for a total increase in rear width of 2mm. This is also with the 3.5 toe in block. Not sure what the rear would measure with the 4 deg toe block as that kicks out the rear edge of the tire some more. For most poeple the little extra width in the rear is not a big deal but for those that go to races that may measure the car as part of tech, keep an eye on adding too much rear width to the car.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by C-Dub
Korgae, That would be way too loose of a diff then, Dyno explained to me that with the longer wheel base you must run the diff tighter because when accelerating out of the corner if the inside wheel begins to diff out it will have far more effect because of the longer wheelbase, I ran my diff on a normal setting the first night with the car back before the Cactus Classic and was experiencing the same issue you are describing. After speaking with Dyno at the Cactus and him explaining the theory and setting the diff tighter the car has plenty of forward traction coming out of a corner.
Thank you... Im on it
Old 05-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jubilee
I tend to emulate what the best drivers are doing...knowing it's the "lazy man's" way. Most at my track are running JC gold barcodes all the way around with varying insert preferences. My track time is so limited I'd rather not spend race nights figuring things out (but I've been doing that lately anyway ).
Dude, don;t ditch the evans set-up, It's real close to being right on for trcr

did you see the note about a tighter dif for a longer wheel base?
good advise!!
Old 05-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jonathan Paulk
Who do we notify about missing parts from the 22 Kit? My kit is missing one grey shock seal. The hobby shops in my area do not carry any 22 parts.

Thanks,
Jonathan
if you want to get on the track you might cut the bladder out of the three you have and get an oring or washer at one of the big hardware stores for the other. Out here a lot of the guys are not running the bladder in the shocks
Old 05-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

He mentioned the "Grey shock seal", not top bladder. He can't cut it as those are at the bottom.
Has anyone checked to see if the normal red o-rings, like those found in the AE kits will work for him until he can get the Losi ones? I'm not sure about the ID or OD differences between the red and grey ones out there.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

So just to be clear on the diff tightness.... When holding one wheel and "flicking" the other it should only slin about a 1/4 a turn? Is this right? And would the same be advised for mid motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.