Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Did you change ANYTHING on the vehicle/radio before, during, or after the Orion > Tekin ESC swap...? Don't really see how that can contribute to losing steering throw, if nothing was changed on your end, other than the ESC. Should be same as before.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I completely agree, it doesn't make any sense. I didn't change anything going from one ESC to the other. I reset all end points to zero before calibrating with both ESC's, and there was still a variance in the total throw of the servo. I might try adding a new model in the radio and re-calibrate to see if that makes a difference.

Originally Posted by weavty1
Did you change ANYTHING on the vehicle/radio before, during, or after the Orion > Tekin ESC swap...? Don't really see how that can contribute to losing steering throw, if nothing was changed on your end, other than the ESC. Should be same as before.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On the 4PL, the range is only 0-120% in either direction.

That doesn't seem right though, I haven't heard of anyone having max lock problems on the 22 yet..?

Try another servo to troubleshoot it, could just be the Savox

Out of curiosity, Kompressor, what is your 'D/R' set to? and how about your 'TRIM' and 'SUBTR'..?

Double-check and go through these steps again, to make sure you have everything set accordingly:
the d/r is at 100 and trm and subtr is at 0. should i reduce the epa to 100 and start over again? lol

Last edited by kompressor; 07-16-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kompressor
So are you saying to put the EPA down to 100 and then make sure the D/R is set to max 100 and then go from there? i am fairly new so have patience with me lol trim, and subtrm are probably at 0 i am also running a r10 pro.

Thanks in advance for the help
Correct.

Just to be thorough, if I were you, I'd make a new 'model' on your radio, which will take everything to the defaults, and go from there, following the page(s) from your Futaba 4PL manual, that I have attached above.

This should help
Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

Correct.

Just to be thorough, if I were you, I'd make a new 'model' on your radio, which will take everything to the defaults, and go from there, following the page(s) from your Futaba 4PL manual, that I have attached above.

This should help
the d/r is at 100 and trm and subtr is at 0. should i reduce the epa to 100 and start over again? lol it dosent say anything about making a new model on that page. im terrible with instructions! i can get the car around the track pretty good though ahha
Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

the d/r is at 100 and trm and subtr is at 0. should i reduce the epa to 100 and start over again? lol
D/R is correct. TRM and SUBTR is also correct for default values. I'd personally reduce the EPA to 100 for both directions on your steering channel.

I'd also check to make sure that your servo and horn are splined correctly, in relation to the 'dead center' on your radio.. i.e., have you driven the car yet with it not going full-lock in either left or right, yet? if so, did it drive straight right off the bat, or did you apply trim/subtrim to the steering... if so, how much?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Tech Adept

D/R is correct. TRM and SUBTR is also correct for default values. I'd personally reduce the EPA to 100 for both directions on your steering channel.

I'd also check to make sure that your servo and horn are splined correctly, in relation to the 'dead center' on your radio.. i.e., have you driven the car yet with it not going full-lock in either left or right, yet? if so, did it drive straight right off the bat, or did you apply trim/subtrim to the steering... if so, how much?

With all values at zero except for the EPA which was kept at 120 my servo horn is at 90 degrees with everything at zero. i have been racing the car without getting full lock. it drives pretty much straight. i have loosend up the ball cups that connect from the horn to the rack tried to make it a little longer to see if that helps and didnt.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up Losi TLR 22 Buggy For Sale RACE READY TEKIN REVTECH

Last edited by Matt M.; 07-16-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: not the place for sale items
Old 07-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

With all values at zero except for the EPA which was kept at 120 my servo horn is at 90 degrees with everything at zero. i have been racing the car without getting full lock. it drives pretty much straight. i have loosend up the ball cups that connect from the horn to the rack tried to make it a little longer to see if that helps and didnt.

Thanks
How about the turnbuckles from the rack to the steering knuckles?

I'd take them off, make sure both are measured to 80.5mm, from the end of each ball cup to another. Also, make sure the turnbuckle/rod from horn to steering rack is measured to 33.7mm from end to end.

If you're still coming up short on full lock, I'd take the rack-to-steering knuckle turnbuckles up to 82mm length.

Let me know if this helps
Old 07-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by G SquareD
Great deal on a TLR 22. Get it before it's gone!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...n-revtech.html
This isn't a sale thread. Get your overpriced nonsense outta here.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

How bought that length on the sensor wire?? anyone??
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theproffesor
How bought that length on the sensor wire?? anyone??
150mm, 175mm, or 200mm. Get some and make it your bitch!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

On the 4PL, the range is only 0-120% in either direction.

That doesn't seem right though, I haven't heard of anyone having max lock problems on the 22 yet..?

Try another servo to troubleshoot it, could just be the Savox

Out of curiosity, Kompressor, what is your 'D/R' set to? and how about your 'TRIM' and 'SUBTR'..?

Double-check and go through these steps again, to make sure you have everything set accordingly:
Yeah, go ahead and search "steering throw" in the 22 thread. 46 results clearly indicate that other people have had this problem before. If you notice most every one of the people that have previously had steering throw problems in the 22 were using Futaba transmitters. If he increases the length of the steering turnbuckles it will just increase the toe in. This will result in more steering throw on the outside wheel, but less on the inside wheel. Not to mention what increasing toe in will do for the handling of the car.

Kompressor, what you need to do is turn the EPA up all the way, and check to see if your getting equal throw left to right. If so the only solution is to crank up your dual rate. This should increase your travel enough to get you full deflection. If the throw is uneven by a significant amount, then you will have to play with servo horn placement and servo horn to steering rack draglink length. On my 22 with the horn placed just clockwise of center (set per the instructions) i could not get full travel to the left with the EPA all the way up. So I had to move the horn to just counterclockwise of center, and then lengthen the draglink. After that my EPA's were much closer, and I could get full travel. This was with a Airtronic radio.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

wow i guess i got to do the same thing!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

my d/r is all the way up which is 100% and the throw is pretty even, only way to get full lock is with gnarly toe out...

Last edited by kompressor; 07-16-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.