Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree48Likes

Hyper TT 4wd 1/10th Truggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

It's more of an exploratory journey right now, didn't want to flood this thread with too much of my ramblings, plus I wanted a place to highlight all the important information on the OP, I'll be linking to your review information as well
Old 02-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

check out the old you-tube videos by sxrunner like 6 or 7 years ago I think it was at narcal he was runnin dual saddle packs
Old 02-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bob.less
check out the old you-tube videos by sxrunner like 6 or 7 years ago I think it was at narcal he was runnin dual saddle packs
Thanks for the tip, very interesting... I'm actually getting ready to swap over to saddles in my wheeler so it makes logical sense to do the same with the 10TT too!

Old 02-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I feel like a Shorty + ESC on the left with servo + motor on the right is going to be the optimal layout. But IIRC, Shorties have a hard time with 4-pole SCT power?
Old 02-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

not a problem . didnt know if you saw it or not. curiouse...... parts support ? you use LHS or onlne ?
Old 02-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tsair
I feel like a Shorty + ESC on the left with servo + motor on the right is going to be the optimal layout. But IIRC, Shorties have a hard time with 4-pole SCT power?
this was going to be my secondary test if I wasn't happy with the forward battery tray mount... I think a 90C-100C shorty should do fine for a lighter TT, perhaps a heavier SC not so much, though I agree the shorty might swell if over geared, if that happens then I'll probably swap out the motor with a 540 size 7.5T which does fine for shorty packs in the wheelers.

Originally Posted by bob.less
you use LHS or onlne ?
If the class forms at our club with at least 5 regular drivers, then the on site shop has promised to stock parts... at that point I'd start supporting them when I have breaks... for now my only option is mail order, though it's mixed between domestic and overseas distribution channels... if Tower continues to stock more parts, I can see them becoming my primary source due to their promotions model.

Last edited by billdelong; 02-02-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

truthfully it was the springs ... the stock silver springs - and mainly the scale of the stock shocks - i wanted to go bigger - but the rear shocks were dead flat - zero rebound really with springs adjusted all the way to the max. the Jammins work sooo well on my Jammin CRT .5's figured they be fine on this car too

Originally Posted by tsair
Looks good! What issue did you have with the stock rear shocks?

Anyway, there are 3 main types of 1/10 scale tires. Stadium Truck (also called Truck) and Buggy are 2.2" (they make some 2.4"/60mm/61mm tires, but don't get those). Trucks use the same tires all around, buggies have smaller tires in the front.

The third type is Short Course Truck, which are 3.0" on the inside of the tire and 2.2" on the outside. You don't want those on the Hyper TT, you want 2.2" Truck (stadium truck) tires.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:21 AM
Tech Champion

so I got word back from HoBao, and they said they will make the tire/wheel combo available as "un-glued" if you specify that request during checkout:
http://eshop.hobao-racing.com/k/search?q=11105

My local club will be switching over to a turf track soon and I have read that the stock HoBao pin tires work well on turf, however folks are using AKA foams instead of the included open cell foams.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I went to B5m steering links on the front, definitely recommended. I happened to have an extra set lying around, and they clear the bellcranks better when the suspension is compressed while the wheels are turned at full lock.

Check out my blog for part numbers/pic if you're interested.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice Tsair ! Been following your and Bill's progress and I'm liking all the things you guys are doing to help with this truck !!
Old 02-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Truck looks pretty good, been thinking about one, also been thinking about the hpi bullet and doing the ken block chassis and center diff mod, can't quite make a decision yet. they both have their quirks as with every car has them, whats everyone else think.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

if you're willing to make a few mods, the 10TT can be made to be fairly durable and arguably one of the best performing 4WD ST's on the market, almost in a class of it's own... I have done a TT to MT conversion once too if you're wanting other ideas:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho....php?p=1577144

I haven't seen the bullet in person, but the product pics appear to have a fairly high center of gravity which could make it more of a handful to control on power. I recently went through all the 1/10 MT's on the market and cross referenced them back to the ROAR specs and ultimately decided that the 10TT was best for my needs as a club racer.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

actually if you look at pics of it without body on it and put stadium truck tires on it it'll have a lcg bout like any other stadium truck or 1/8 scale. it's got a nice 1/8 style chassis on it, i've seen a few builds done with this and looked really interesting to try just can't seem to make a decision just yet. god don't you just hate deciding on this stuff.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

BTW that truck looks great, good job man.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

Ah, I recall why I eliminated the flux now... apparently it's discontinued:
http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/101403

It also uses larger 14mm hexes and larger 3.2" wheels which are too far outside of ROAR spec, that alone would raise the center of gravity and I wasn't prepared to look for compatible 12mm hexes and standard 1/10 ST wheels to get them to fit.

Other turn offs include phillips hardware, e-clips all over the place and questionable parts support.

It's worth nothing that HPI once distributed HoBao a couple years ago, right before HPI went bankrupt... they have since been bought out by a company called RipMax and there was a bit of drama over RipMax acting slow to settle terms with SOAR who used to be the OEM for HPI. SOAR now distributes their own cars focusing mostly on 1/8 presently. The HPI we see today is definitely not the same company that it once was. Even Hot Bodies was split off and got bought out by another company. I'm personally going to wait and see what RipMax does over the next couple of years... will they come up with new designs or simply try to cash out on someone else's name brand that is already somewhat tarnished?

In the mean time I chose to go with a very trusted and reputable brand like HoBao... and no, I'm not sponsored nor do I get any kickback from HoBao to say that, I recently bought the car with my own money through Tower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.