Wiki Posts
Search

Havoc 3S with Ballistic 8.5T won't stop overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jason701802
Did you not read my post? Not only have I been in contact with them, I've sent the system in and they say that nothing its wrong
Trade up to a Tekin RS, your only running a 8.5 on 3s .... which the RS can handle easily. I run a 8.5 on a RS in my 2wd Slash on 2s and it is stupid fast.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by thecman26
Ok, pull the motor and make sure the drivetrain is free and not binding, does it roll smoothly with the motor disengaged?

Is it still running slow with the sensor wire removed?
yep, it rolls smoothly. The Havoc will not run the motor without the sensor plugged in. Let me clarify, when I say painfully slow, I don't mean slow, I mean far slower than a system like this would be expected to go.

Originally Posted by gottabaja
Trade up to a Tekin RS, your only running a 8.5 on 3s .... which the RS can handle easily. I run a 8.5 on a RS in my 2wd Slash on 2s and it is stupid fast.
That's about as much as I paid for the system I have, I'm going for a solution that isn't so expensive.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

yep, it rolls smoothly. The Havoc will not run the motor without the sensor plugged in. Let me clarify, when I say painfully slow, I don't mean slow, I mean far slower than a system like this would be expected to go.

That's about as much as I paid for the system I have, I'm going for a solution that isn't so expensive.
I haven't a clue then, thats all I got... Maybe Novak can chime in.... Theres a rep who is on here all the time!
Old 08-07-2010, 11:31 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Bad LiPo. try another pack. ESC will do odd things when they run at low
voltages but are still trying to pull the amps out of a bad pack. Check
your LHS and see if they have a good 2s pack you can try.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JsK
Bad LiPo. try another pack. ESC will do odd things when they run at low
voltages but are still trying to pull the amps out of a bad pack. Check
your LHS and see if they have a good 2s pack you can try.
I've used this battery to run a sidewinder with a 4600kV motor and it ran fine
Old 08-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I've got a Havoc 3S with Ballistic 8.5T installed in a HPI Cyber 10B running off a Ptotek RC 3300mAh 3-cell 25C geared as low as I can (16/84) (it's painfully slow). After a few minutes of running, even if I run it soft, the blue and red LEDs start blinking "possible ESC thermal shutdown", the ESC and motor are barely warm when this happens. It also ran fine on a 6-cell NiMH. I have been in contact with Novak and have even sent it in and they have been no help. My LHS also has been unable to provide any solutions. I'm getting desperate, I really need some help.
Here is something to try:

Install the 3S battery in the car like you are going to run it. Put the car up on blocks so that none of the wheels are touching the ground. Turn it on and operate the steering left and right continuously (with the wheels not touching any surface) for a few minutes. If you get thermal shutdown in this situation the problem is that your servo is overloading the internal BEC and it has nothing (or at least not much) to do with the motor. In this case, you can try a different servo or add an external BEC.

The havoc 3S has a linear BEC which ends up giving off more waste heat as the battery voltage goes up. If you draw enough current out of the BEC on 3S, you can overheat the ESC. This happened to me and I am now running a Novak high voltage external BEC (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSGC1&P=7) with my Airtronics high speed, high torque digital servo (94758).
Old 08-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ta_man
Here is something to try:

Install the 3S battery in the car like you are going to run it. Put the car up on blocks so that none of the wheels are touching the ground. Turn it on and operate the steering left and right continuously (with the wheels not touching any surface) for a few minutes. If you get thermal shutdown in this situation the problem is that your servo is overloading the internal BEC and it has nothing (or at least not much) to do with the motor. In this case, you can try a different servo or add an external BEC.

The havoc 3S has a linear BEC which ends up giving off more waste heat as the battery voltage goes up. If you draw enough current out of the BEC on 3S, you can overheat the ESC. This happened to me and I am now running a Novak high voltage external BEC with my Airtronics high speed, high torque digital servo (94758).
That's it! Thank you.