R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Strapping tape to secure batteries

I was wondering if anyone had tried to use strapping tape to secure their batteries inside their off road buggies. I'm thinking along the mindset of not using the battery hold down trays or plastic straps. Since strapping tape is very strong and cheap, I dont mind lashing on a fresh layer to keep my batteries. I'm going to try this idea in my TRF 511, since there's a 'fun' race coming up and there is no minimum weight.

Any opinions?
BigBellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've used strapping tape on my Lazer ZX-5 FS. Double strap it and you should have no problems. My tape was barely scuffed under the chassis. The FS didn't have an undertray. If you use yours, you'll have additional security.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 08-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Don't see why it shouldn't work. Have you thought about using some 1" wide velcro for bsckup up?

I use it in building or re-building lipo packs to hold cells together. Does a great job for that.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTech View Post
I've used strapping tape on my Lazer ZX-5 FS. Double strap it and you should have no problems. My tape was barely scuffed under the chassis. The FS didn't have an undertray. If you use yours, you'll have additional security.

Cheers,
Jeff
Thats what i'm talking about since its very hard for strapping tape to snap, tear or fizzle out. I just dont want to deal with snap pins or any extra plastic parts. I'm experimenting with micro electrics and see how light and compact i can make the TRF 511 can be
Old 08-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Tech Addict

15+ years ago, strapping tape was the normal way to mount batteries in virtually every on-road car and most all 4wd cars. Especially so if it was carbon fiber plate chassis design.

T-RCE Slash 4x4 - Kyosho SC-R - TLR 22

Think you're fast? Try racing in Arizona, it's like going to the Nats every weekend...
trx-1racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Simplicity at its best. I remember those pan oval cars which required strapping tape for batteries. I'm not sure why some battery boxes are just over engineered parts, and IMHO just adds weight. Thanks for all the opinions everyone. Will 'delete' the battery tray from my TRF511 and see how easier it is to maintain and work over the car
Old 08-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx-1racer View Post
15+ years ago, strapping tape was the normal way to mount batteries in virtually every on-road car and most all 4wd cars. Especially so if it was carbon fiber plate chassis design.
+1. I remember those days well. I think I still have some of the tape I used lying around.
- Mugen MBX6 Alpha F850 -
- Nomadio Sensor - Hitec servos - Panther tires - DE Racing -
sugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyCat View Post
Simplicity at its best. I remember those pan oval cars which required strapping tape for batteries. I'm not sure why some battery boxes are just over engineered parts, and IMHO just adds weight. Thanks for all the opinions everyone. Will 'delete' the battery tray from my TRF511 and see how easier it is to maintain and work over the car
I supposed strapping tape is simpler, but the one thing I hate about pan cars is that I need to use strapping tape to hold in the battery. Maybe that's just because I'm fumble fingered and it takes me multiple minutes (2-3) to correctly tape in a battery, whereas in my cars that have trays I can have the battery installed in seconds (certainly under a minute).
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Tech Regular

On road conditions the tape will last for several runs, but in off road by using dual layers of tape, i can still secure the batteries but need fresh tape since it always collects dirt and grit.
I'm loving this simple system now, no more battery trays or post and body pins to deal with.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I love my velcro straps with a battery tray. Super tough & reusable. I can have the battery changed out in 30 seconds.