Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC8Be Thread >

Team Associated RC8Be Thread

Team Associated RC8Be Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 305997
At the board level sure.....but crimp is the preferred method at connectors.
Exactly.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 117
What kind of connectors did you work on that were soldered? I was an aircraft electrician in the TXARNG. I mostly dealt with cannon plugs and wire repair. Everything was crimped.

Almost everything I've worked with on my track car has been crimped with the exception of the connectors for my digital dash. It used a very small DIN like connector for use with 22ga and 24ga wire (those solder cups were small!).

I also don't like the use of bullet connectors for the motor for the reason you describe. I just would like the RX8 to have the same type of connectors used on the MMM (the bullet connectors are on the ESC itself).
Shipboard connectors on the Arleigh Burke Class destroyers for the Aegis Weapon System that ran from computer weapons consoles for data signals like NTDS parallel and serial cables to CCTV video cables for cameras that monitors vertical launching system. All quick locking type connectors. Items that connected to computer consoles for headset and microphone activation to all the feeds for differing data types including IFF challengers for aircraft.

Component board level was simply plug and play. This reduced downtime for the ships weapon systems. All backplanes were done through wire wrapping methods on posts.

The female connectors that connected to these were all soldered:

Old 01-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
Shipboard connectors on the Arleigh Burke Class destroyers for the Aegis Weapon System that ran from computer weapons consoles for data signals like NTDS parallel and serial cables to CCTV video cables for cameras that monitors vertical launching system. All quick locking type connectors. Items that connected to computer consoles for headset and microphone activation to all the feeds for differing data types including IFF challengers for aircraft.

Component board level was simply plug and play. This reduced downtime for the ships weapon systems. All backplanes were done through wire wrapping methods on posts.

The female connectors that connected to these were all soldered:

Different types of connections and not much chance to go crimped. At the connector-to-connector level (not board mount connectors), crimped is preferred in aerospace because solder joints can fail under vibration and strain.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Very interesting. Those connectors look almost like cannon plugs. All the stuff I worked on was in the Chinook and Blackhawk helicopters. We were always told that soldering at the connector level was not used due to the brittleness of the connection, especially if solder wicks up the wire. The stuff I worked on was made to function in very high vibration and dirty environments, though.

Most of the autosport connectors I've used (my track car is wired mostly with Deutsch DT, DTP, and DTM connectors) are crimp, as are OEM auto connectors.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with soldering as long as the connection is clean and properly stress relieved (which is why I'm surprised you're not supposed to shrink the RX8 connections).

I'm also surprised that the posts are heat sinks. You'd think that Tekin would have used a larger heat sink if the heat sink as designed is not large enough.

Good to know before I solder up my RX8. I was planning to shrink all the connections as I don't like having exposed wiring.

Which direction are you guys installing the RX8? I was thinking with the wire posts toward the centerline.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

I installed the tekin with posts to the center line and the wires coming off the post in the vertical position to the motor to go over the chassis stiffener.

There are two boards in the rx8, the big red heat sink could be mainly for the upperboard and the posts for the lower board. The RS series of speedos use nothing but the terminial posts.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Where does the receiver wire come out of the case? Did you have to use an extension?

I'm thinking that I'll mount my RX8 like yours with the posts closest to the centerline.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 117
Where does the receiver wire come out of the case? Did you have to use an extension?

I'm thinking that I'll mount my RX8 like yours with the posts closest to the centerline.
If you route it according to the manual, then you need an extension. You can route it around the center diff and not need an extension. I used the extension so we can easily plug in the hotwire for programming withou having to open the reciever box. A 4" extension is the trick.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default The Extension

What receiver wire extension did you use and will it work for the Mamba M also?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Those look exactly like the cannon plugs I've worked with on the F-16s.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Is my Castle Pinion going to fit with the grid mount? I just realized I may have to buy a new pinion too.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Ran mine for the first time today. WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the tekin stuff in it and kept up with the nitro's. (Well on the straightaway at least! )
Old 01-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ktm11rider
Ran mine for the first time today. WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the tekin stuff in it and kept up with the nitro's. (Well on the straightaway at least! )
This post ^^^^^^^^^^ is worthless without pics
Old 01-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Question for you guys who've used both the elite mount and grid mount:

I love my elite, but I have one small complaint. The motor sits so high off the chassis that every now and then, I literally rip some of the insulation off my motor wire(s) near the solder tabs because the AE RC8e body is so close to the motor. I don't want to rotate my can so the solder tabs are protected from impact. Does the grid mount allow the motor to sit closer to the chassis?

P.S. My RC8Be couldn't be beat tonight.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

This is Billys Grid mount installed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.