Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best offroad electric 1/10 brushless buggy system

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default best offroad electric 1/10 brushless buggy system

Hi i am wondering what is the best 1/10 offroad brushless system ?
is there a certain brushless motor just for buggies or can i buy a normal on road motor? is there a difference in the on road and offroad motors?
thank you in advance!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would get a MMpro and what ever brand sensored motor you want. Its so versatile you will keep it for ever and you can run it in a pan car all the way to 8th scale buggy. There are no on and offroad electric specific motors to my knowlege. Just usually where you see the 5.5 4.5 3.5 ect is on road because where you got traction to put down all those rpm's on dirt LOL. There may be specific motors out there but not from any brands that I know of, there are some brands that you see in on or offroad more than others but thats just word of mouth going around tracks and what not. Orion Lrp Novak Speed Passion are all awesome 10th scale sensored motors, there are more too.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks! i will most likely get mmpro and find a 7.5 turn motor will that be a good combination?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

get the tekin. it has the most adjustments and it is a very reliable system.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rc offroad
thanks! i will most likely get mmpro and find a 7.5 turn motor will that be a good combination?
try the novak havoc esc and motor combo. really cheap. yet smooth reliable and programmable

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXKA8&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVWB9&P=ML
Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

+1 for MMPro, it is more adjustable than any other speedo on the market including the Tekin RS/RSpro, plus much cheaper.
Any of the popular sensored motors are great with it. I like Orion, but others are good too.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:38 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

LRP SPX or SXX and X-12 motors. The smoothest, most linear, non over complicated, and most reliable escs on the market.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think the more important thing to understand here is that there is not really a "best" brushless system for anything.

Some setups will do what you want, some wont, just depends on what you need/want.

Saying that though, I would recommend a lower KV motor (around 3000-4000K) and an esc starting from the hobbywing 60A.
A setup like that would be better I think, lower temps, wider gearing options and longer run times.
If for some reason you want more power and speed than you can possibly use, just run it on 3s.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was just looking at the specs for the MMPro, 45.5mm x 36.5 x 21.5mm and 2.8oz... that would make it significantly larger than a Novak GTB.

Nothing against castle but for a 1/10 buggy I would go with a smaller esc like the Tekin or LRP.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i been useing the mmpro 4600kv in my buggy and its awesome
Old 12-12-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Rookie

hi all i am wondering if a 7.5t motor will be suitable if i play on mud and grass ?
the lrp vector motor vs the Velociti which motor is more reliable?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Either brand motor will work fine, 7.5 is pretty fast but not too fast. Its what I used to mostly use in My T4. I wouldnt go any lower in turns for bashing in an offroad car. You made a good choice, I used Velosity motors and never had a problem. Seen tons of guys use Orion and LRP without issue to. The mmpro is a tad bigger than some others but like I said you will be able to use it in what ever car you want if you get sick of the truck or buggy your driving now and even want to convery a 8th scale buggy or get a electric specific buggy. Its Versatile as they come. Show me another 10th scale esc you can run a 8th scale motor on 6S and not fry it in 3 seconds.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Tekin RS 7.5, or Rs pro for 4wd, or wait till the Novak Kinetic comes out (assuming it'll be reliable, I like to let other racers beta test for me).

If you want to play with timing try a Novak Ballistic 7.5 and get the Tekin Hotwire. v198 seems to work best for us. The Tekin settings really work and definately change the feel of the car. Some esc can be set all over the place and hardly change at all, but this one really responds to changes.

It's small, has no gay fan or giant heatsink fagotry. Never gets past 1 for temp readout running my 13.5 b4 or 17.5 Sc10. And the solderposts work really, really well and are far more convenient than other wire connection types. Just be careful not to use too much solder and get a soft bond. (my hakko 936 helps as well though.)

Only downside is our Tekins, 1/10th or 1/8th, have had a much higher attrition rate lately. Couple 1/8th esc's went nuclear, and a RS and RS pro forgot that they were Esc's. One decided to play peek a boo with the led's and not move or reprogram, the other tried to sing showtunes . But thats what warranty is for. Allmost as much attrition as the Novak GTB had for a while.

Also it's best to set the brake strength to 100 and dialing it down with epa on my Rs's. And I've only used the sensored mode, not the dual mode needed for 7.5, so take that with a grain of salt.