Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What's the most durable 1/10 4WD buggy made? >

What's the most durable 1/10 4WD buggy made?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most durable 1/10 4WD buggy made?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Lots of people run the 501X buggies by me and I've never seen one broke.......well once but it was a really hairy crash(501 VS. Concrete wall).

The last thing I'm worried about with my 501 WE is it breaking.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by louis flood
hotbodies d4 strongest and best overall preforming 4wd buggy hands dowm
Coming from a guy who owns a B44!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:48 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by niznai
What did you break on the DF03?
i had one and I hated it, stupid stuff would break on it like, the rear tranny case gears are loud and strip like no other. look at the b44 or DEX410.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NilesRacer
i had one and I hated it, stupid stuff would break on it like, the rear tranny case gears are loud and strip like no other. look at the b44 or DEX410.
Yes, IMO the worst buggy every made!
Land a medium double on anything but the down slope and the chassis breaks in half. Either in the front where the bellcrank is or the rear right between the tranny and battery tray.

Trying to shim the tranny properly to get the clicks out of it was almost impossible as well. The screws don't hold ABS plastic together well enough.

The car had a decent design and I liked the battery tray being underneath but it needed much beefier components.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Definetly the one that doesnt hit anything

But if thats not an option.... The Tamiya is pretty much bomber, maybe the Durango after that (but I havent seen the latest version in person) then the Hot Bodies D4..... the B44 is further down the list IMO, probably after the schumacher, losi etc. The Kyosho is probably the worst right now. it might not break on the first wreck but somethings cracked for sure and when they break its multiple parts.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Once you see or drive the new DEX410 you will change your mind and move it right to #1.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
Yes, IMO the worst buggy every made!
Land a medium double on anything but the down slope and the chassis breaks in half. Either in the front where the bellcrank is or the rear right between the tranny and battery tray.

Trying to shim the tranny properly to get the clicks out of it was almost impossible as well. The screws don't hold ABS plastic together well enough.

The car had a decent design and I liked the battery tray being underneath but it needed much beefier components.
yes your right, I put a cf chassis on it and it was ok, put damper shocks on it better but by then I put more in the car is worth. it might be ok in the euro tracks but in the US.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeC
Once you see or drive the new DEX410 you will change your mind and move it right to #1.
at $650+ I dont think thats happening anytime soon
Old 09-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I guess i want to know what people are hitting and or what Durable means to you. If you expect it to survive a jump 10ft tall, you might want to re-think what you are doing.

IMO, a full speed run into a wall with any car is likely to break. I've had my share of hits and breakage, but for the most part my stuff holds up. I am surprised when I feel a "tap" breaks something, but then again, I did the driving so its my fault. I've also seen my share of racers who hit things that should have broken, and didn't so it really just depends.

Bottom line, If you drive it like a basher, it may not hold up. People who are throttle jockeys and who only know Full throttle and Stop are more likely to break IMO. I've seen alot of different cars out there, and I think each has its own pros and cons.

I had a BJ4WE and found I was breaking top plates (but I think that was due to casing the landing on jumps) and not so much the fault of the car. I can see weak-points in my B44, but haven't raced it enough to test it. I did double the fr. shock tower based on some reports. My BJ4WE had double shock towers Fr. and R.

I think the Durango is an amazing looking car, but the price isn't something that just anyone could afford, not to mention it was built with competitive racing in mind, not a backyard basher.

I would look at tamiya, HPI/HB for something of a mild durable basher. Also see what the LHS has as well. Talk to local racers (if thats what you plan to do) and see what parts are breaking for them.

MOmo
Old 09-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Rookie

My DF-03 didn't even last a half hour on an electric track

I wrote a blog post about it:
rcnewbie.com/2009/09/track-test-tamiya-keen-hawk-swoop-or.html

If the DB-01 built a lot better? Just don't have a lot of faith after my current Tamiya 4WD experience.

Was leaning towards the B44, but sounds like those are not as durable as I thought?

Anyone know anything about the HPI Cyber 10b? Its a plastic version of the Hot Bodies D4?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeC
Team Durango DEX410 and it is by far the best built and most durable.
It better be for the price ! Crazy to spend $650 on a 1/10 electric buggy .
Old 09-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RadioControlNew
My DF-03 didn't even last a half hour on an electric track

I wrote a blog post about it:
rcnewbie.com/2009/09/track-test-tamiya-keen-hawk-swoop-or.html

If the DB-01 built a lot better? Just don't have a lot of faith after my current Tamiya 4WD experience.

Was leaning towards the B44, but sounds like those are not as durable as I thought?

Anyone know anything about the HPI Cyber 10b? Its a plastic version of the Hot Bodies D4?
Wow, that was a very good, fair report. I personally would have had funny looking symbols throughout the whole report but you did a great job reporting on it with only facts, not opinions.

Everything you said was 100% accurate and the car is garbage. I hope other people stay away from it as well to save themselves money and frustration. plus if enough people snub it maybe Tamiya will brighten up and put some actual effort into creating vehicles.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MOmo
I guess i want to know what people are hitting and or what Durable means to you. If you expect it to survive a jump 10ft tall, you might want to re-think what you are doing.

MOmo
I wasn't hitting anything. I broke 2 chassis' by not landing smoothly on the down slop of a double. First time I cased it on the bottom. (which I have done many many times with my B4 with not a single part breaking) and the 2nd time I landed flat over a double and broke again. It is a cheap part to replace but why should you have to replace that many chassis plates? this was on a standard indoor track designed for 1/10 vehicles so I wasn't launching off rooftops or anything.

On a plus side months ago I bought a completely custom build from a guy on Ebay that was based on a DF-03. It was a 4wd "Slash" and held up pretty well. However I sold it before too much use because I was afraid I would break it. Still fun though.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Briguy
It better be for the price ! Crazy to spend $650 on a 1/10 electric buggy .
what you pay for is what you get, yeah the buggy is 650 and with parts it will cost around a grand. and not every one can spend that type of money every day. IMO I say b44 or dex410
Old 09-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
Definetly the one that doesnt hit anything

But if thats not an option.... The Tamiya is pretty much bomber, maybe the Durango after that (but I havent seen the latest version in person) then the Hot Bodies D4..... the B44 is further down the list IMO, probably after the schumacher, losi etc. The Kyosho is probably the worst right now. it might not break on the first wreck but somethings cracked for sure and when they break its multiple parts.
The Kyosho is probably the worst right now. it might not break on the first wreck but somethings cracked for sure and when they break its multiple parts.

kinda a false statement there guys at my track run Kyosho i never saw one break...

and lets be honest 95% of something breaking on any r/c is the drivers fault..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.