Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bnangle
Thanks for the heads up but actually before I installed it I remembered seeing 2 spare servo horns in the tool bag.I used the right one luckily but I can easily see how the stock #24 fits on easily and yes one hit and it would most likely get stripped.I am going to get the aluminum one from hpi when they are out.Its not needed but I have always liked the look.In the hpi vorza manual it has the stock number for the aluminum hi tec servo arm.
I think the aluminum steering servo arm is a must have. I've broke 3 of the plastic ones on my D8. Changed to the aluminum one and no issues since, with either car (D8 or Vorza). And that's after some nasty crashes (durability testing).

Anyone read the review in Hi-Torques R/C Car magizine?I am all for honest opinions which you normally dont find in car radio action and r/c driver but they really hammered the vorza I think.They are all about the VE8 it seems because in the whole review they kept saying how good the VE8 is and the vorza doesnt really have a place.Isnt the vorza and the VE8 the same car?The guy at hpi told it is basicly the same car.I am confused.I think the Vorza with a good race set up can hold its own on the track among the ve8's.I am not a know it all or a regular racer so please if someone can tell me different or teach me something.Please do.I want to know the differences and how they may have justified their review.thanks
I read both magazine reviews. From what I gathered, they both loved the Vorza, but questioned it's place among the current line-up. It IS sorta an odd fit since they bill the Ve8 as a full up race car, and the Vorza is somewhere between that and a basher.

Truth be told, the Vorza is basically a factory converted D8, with incredible running gear (Mamba Monster 2200kv combo) already installed. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Differences you ask? The Ve8 has a plastic chassis (which has known craking issues that they are in the process of solving), but is supposed to have better weight distribution, and the ability to use mechanical brakes. The battery box has very strict dimentions, and not all motors fit unless you are willing to grind down the pinion shaft. The chassis is also much thinner so manuverability is supposed to be excellent.

The Vorza is very much a D8 in electric form. It has arguably the best battery box on the planet, and will fit just about any motor out there without having to trim the shaft.

I have the D8 and the Vorza, and they are very much the same car. My friend has the Ve8 and it's nice also. The front/rear are exactly the same, and both are lifted right from the D8.

For me, the mechanical brake option on the Ve8 is not a factor. Sure, it offers more adjustability than using ESC brakes, but I've been using ESC brakes on my 1/10 cars with no issues, and I don't see an issue using them with 8th scale.

Once you change the Vorza's box settings (suspension, diff fluid, etc), you have a very competitive electric 8th scale buggy that is on par with every other electric 8th scale buggy out there. The Ve8 will always be different in that it's a new design solely built for electric 8th scale. Does that make it better?

In my opinion, that's up to the driver. I went with the Vorza because I wanted a metal chassis, adjustable battery box, and the ability to fit any motor without headache, not to mention, it already came with the electronics I'd buy anyway.

Bottom line, it's every bit as good as the other electric 8th scale buggies out there. The only thing that makes it a "basher" is the factory tuning settings. Don't let anyone tell you different.

- Paulie
Old 02-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Initiate

I agree with Paulie!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I agree with pgeldz.

I think the only benifits of the Ve8 is the fact you get to choose the motor/esc combo, and you get to assemble it the way you want.

Althought I really dig the body on the Ve8.

I was dead set on a Ve8 untill it seems everybody started breaking chassis, and I as a noob didn't want to replace many chassis. If the updated chassis comes out and performs well without breaking I may go back that way, but untill then, i'm getting a Vorza soon.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by one8updragracer
I agree with pgeldz.

I think the only benifits of the Ve8 is the fact you get to choose the motor/esc combo, and you get to assemble it the way you want.
I too like the idea of assembling the vehicle my way, and that's why I broke down the Vorza and built it again from scratch.

- Paulie
Old 02-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vision
Well since it's cold in NY right now the motor, esc and batteries are all cold, I think my motor temp was 70F today after drifting around in the snow for 10 mins.

So what type of foams does the ofna belted tires come with ? are they regular or the molded type ?. Thanks
Wowww driving out in the snow!?! That sounds like very risky business They come with regular foam which is what use bc i wasnt aware of molded.. but they seem to be working great.. hard as crap to mount these low pro tires though
Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

It's a lipo voltage meter, so I can see my voltage in the field.
Vision, can you provide a part number or where you got it?

Originally Posted by Stoker
Can't wait to get the scoop. Just got my Vorza and really want to have my own paint scheme. I'll go ahead and pick up a D8 body, since it doesn't look like HPI will be releasing the un-painted body any time soon.

thanks HYDE
I'll have detailed pictures and all. Grab yourself a D8 body and I'll show you how to get it on your Vorza without any major modifications.

Originally Posted by danulmer18
Will the d8 body need any trimming around the outsides or is it just a matter of the mounting holes?
As per HB / HPI, it does not need trimming anywhere around the edges. The only place it needs modification is over the ESC. The monster wires that come straight up out of the ESC will touch the underside of the body. When talking to the company, they showed me a picture of a small cutout to allow the wires to bend back under the body. IMO it looks cool with the wires running underneath the body across the cutout. It also allows for more cooling. I'll post a picture this week when I'm at work (picture is on my work computer).

Also I wanted to ask what tools you guys are using to adjust the toe and camber ?. What should I get to check the toe and camber ?. Thanks
I used needle nose pliers but HB sells a turnbuckle wrench.

Anyone read the review in Hi-Torques R/C Car magizine?I am all for honest opinions which you normally dont find in car radio action and r/c driver but they really hammered the vorza I think.They are all about the VE8 it seems because in the whole review they kept saying how good the VE8 is and the vorza doesnt really have a place.Isnt the vorza and the VE8 the same car?The guy at hpi told it is basicly the same car.I am confused.I think the Vorza with a good race set up can hold its own on the track among the ve8's.I am not a know it all or a regular racer so please if someone can tell me different or teach me something.Please do.I want to know the differences and how they may have justified their review.thanks
I talked to them afterwards, the review did seem a little harsh but I think the point they were trying to get across is that a buggy does not make a good basher. This is not my opinion, I think it could be a light basher but they just wanted to point out that a lot of racing R&D from the D8 and Ve8 went into this car so why focus on the basher/offroad segment.

To be honest I think that they did it to cover a larger audience.
Bashers, buggy enthusiasts and serious racers can all enjoy this car.
The bashers can take it off road while the racers can fine tune it back to D8 and Ve8 specs and dominate the track.

I think they wanted to cover more ground this way when releasing a RTR brushless combo. I think it was either a RTR brushless Ve8 package or something new that would reach a larger audience.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

About trimming the shafts of the motor this has nothing to do with how big the motor is for the Ve8. What it has to do with is the Tekin motors and CC motors the shaft is long and goes about 1mm into the battery tray. So if the pinion loosens thepinion can work its way to the end of the shaft and make contact with the lipo. The only motors so far I know of which the shaft is short enough is the Speed Passion motors. I have a V2 version and had a V1 and I belive but dont quote me that the v1 shaft is the same size as the V2.

Also you can get some 90deg motor wire plugs and use them instead of the stock ones that go into the esc so the wires dont come straight up out of the esc. They are really easy to change to.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Please let me know as soon as you test them out as I need tires soon, down to 40% on my aka's !.
I just finished running them for 30 min. with a 4S battery and 19T pinion. The parking lot was damp so I could not run 6S. Not enough traction in the wet. The tires seemed to work very well for the conditions. Good traction and little wear. Lots of donuts, high speed drifts and full speed to full brake lockup. Judging from how well they worked in 50deg. weather and damp pavement. I think they will work great on warm dry pavement. Not sure how well they will wear in a high tracktion environment. I had no problems with ballooning with one wrap of 1" duct tape.

Overall I like them for pavement bashing.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Tech Adept

It's a lipo voltage meter, so I can see my voltage in the field.
Cool... got to love the extra toys!
Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

Well not really imho, b/c to get the advertised speed of 73mph with the 2650 you have to use 6s and the 2650 is rated for 4s, so other than speed runs I think the 2650 is a waste. With the 2200 if you gear is aggressively you can easily reach 73.
I wasn't really looking for more speed, I just happen to have a new 2650 sitting around and wanted to know if there was any real advandage running it or not, doesn't sound like it.Thanks for the info.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Does anyone have any objections on the Artronics mx3 2.4ghz? I've looked into Spectrum dx3r and just think it's a little pricey and it really hasn't got all that great of reviews.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by malik
About trimming the shafts of the motor this has nothing to do with how big the motor is for the Ve8. What it has to do with is the Tekin motors and CC motors the shaft is long and goes about 1mm into the battery tray. So if the pinion loosens thepinion can work its way to the end of the shaft and make contact with the lipo.
That's what I was referring to Malik. I'm just not omfortable with having the pinion sit so close to the battery tray, trimmed shaft or not.

- Paulie
Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (98%+)

Originally Posted by HYDE16
Vision, can you provide a part number or where you got it?

It's the lipo alarm at hobbyking, $2.99 . Can't beat that price.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kodiak ak
I just finished running them for 30 min. with a 4S battery and 19T pinion. The parking lot was damp so I could not run 6S. Not enough traction in the wet. The tires seemed to work very well for the conditions. Good traction and little wear. Lots of donuts, high speed drifts and full speed to full brake lockup. Judging from how well they worked in 50deg. weather and damp pavement. I think they will work great on warm dry pavement. Not sure how well they will wear in a high tracktion environment. I had no problems with ballooning with one wrap of 1" duct tape.

Overall I like them for pavement bashing.
Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had alot of fun !. I think on 6s it will really push them to the limit, but on 4s the car is quite control able. .
Old 02-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Mya
Does anyone have any objections on the Artronics mx3 2.4ghz? I've looked into Spectrum dx3r and just think it's a little pricey and it really hasn't got all that great of reviews.
I had that radio before, it's nice, but the only thing I didn't like was it uses 8 batteries. The spektrum uses 4. So if that is not a issue for you, you will love it !.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.