Wiki Posts
Search

Electric 1/8th Buggy....why so heavy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
I was just curious on the weight. I was thinking a 1/8th sized buggy could be made durable, and light, and not require 2 - 7.4v LiPos to get it moving. Maybe just a 11.1v battery at most.

Something like a 4WD Slash Chassis. Shaft driven.
I run 3s in the intermediate class at local track, and so does the few other electric 1/8th scales in that class. But the expert class is a slightly different story.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

My 808 is probably lighter than most nitros. It can't be much more than 7.5 lbs ready to race and I haven't even tried to lighten up substantially. I bet if I really tried I could get it down to another .5lbs.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

We've got a guy running the 808 with a Monster mount, Losi tray 4s 4000's & MMM2650 combo at our club track. I beleive it was 7Lbs/7oz with no weight reduction work.

My MBX6's weight 7 Lbs/4 oz too 7lbs/8 oz depending on tires, cell count & esc selection. With weight reduction work.

Last edited by RBMike; 08-19-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malik
The H9E is another awesome offering super compact and innovative I am sure its awesome. I have not yet seen the Nitro version let alone the E in person or race so I have no feedback on it. The tiny diffs that it has is appealing enough I am sure that that car comes out of the hole like a bat out of hell.
I have one, Its money Very happy with the car, just wish it had mudguards.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
My 808 is probably lighter than most nitros. It can't be much more than 7.5 lbs ready to race and I haven't even tried to lighten up substantially. I bet if I really tried I could get it down to another .5lbs.
Wow, I wish my car was that light. It is around 8.5 lbs ready to run with a 4s 5000.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I haven't weighed either of my D8-E's. My practice buggy only has a couple light weight parts compared to my race buggy with the whole option catalog thrown at it!

Would be interesting to see what the "Tanks" come in at? I will say that I kind of like being on the heavy side, the car stays planted in the rough stuff and yet I still have enough power anytime I need it!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Havent weighed my Fusion PRO, but with 2 X 3S 2500mah parallel, it handles super light. With a tekin 1900 system it goes like the clappers and I get 15minutes of fun. Only two lights on speedy and the motor isnt even as warm as my blood.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

getting a RELIABLE AND RACEWORTHY buggy under 7lbs with a reasonable battery, about 400 gms. min. will take fancy expensive materials.
so does everyone want to go down the marginal battery and drop another 200.00 + in bling path?
or would you rather see roar raise the min weight to around 7.5 lbs so the manufacturers dont have a reason to pimp out their buggys in an attempt to get them light?
also this will take away the pressure of guys wanting to run smaller less capacity packs that will wear out faster and possibly melt down .

i for one dont want the class to become more of a money pit than it already is. what do you think?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

I believe JHautz has a picture of his 808 ready to race with battery in it on a scale weighing in at 7lbs 4oz or something like that. There is a pick on the board somewhere if you search hard enough.

I think the min should be whatever the nitro class is... However, really don't think we need a min though. If someone wants to spend all their money making their car super light but is breaks the first time they get hacked in a corner or come up short on a big double, that is their business.

None of that stuff wins races anyway.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
I believe JHautz has a picture of his 808 ready to race with battery in it on a scale weighing in at 7lbs 4oz or something like that. There is a pick on the board somewhere if you search hard enough.

I think the min should be whatever the nitro class is... However, really don't think we need a min though. If someone wants to spend all their money making their car super light but is breaks the first time they get hacked in a corner or come up short on a big double, that is their business.

None of that stuff wins races anyway.
+1. I think it's almost a waste of time trying to trim the weight down too much. They are built like tanks so they can absorb the punishment people put them through.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

here is the problem with having the current min at 7.09 lbs like nitro.
manufacturers will start making cars that are either FRAGILE, light and reasonably priced. or they will make durable, light but EXPENSIVE cars.
plus guys will start to push the limits with smaller packs.

face it guys, if you give someone a rope they will hang themselves with it.

i have weighed MANY brands of 1/8 buggys. all of them weigh about 1/2 lb+ less in their nitro form. that is why we shouldn't use the nitro min weight.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

I just don't think the weight matters, so why make a big deal out of it with minimums? If the car is too light, durability and handling will be sacrificed. The same goes with too heavy.

To me part of the challenge with 1/8 is knowing how to build your car so it is reliable and can make the run time needed without using a cement block battery. It is all "strategery"

If a guy wants to run a 4000kv motor and dump in 10 minutes for a 15 minute main, that is their perogative. If someone wants to run a 3 lb buggy made out super expensive plastic that breaks on the first cartwheel, so what? The racers will figure out what works and what doesn't. Setting rules around minutae won't do anything except just add unnecessary pages to the handbook...
Old 08-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Really interesting thread here....

I think on the big burly tracks, most have said it here, you kinda want the weight and beefiness to simply handle the track.

BUT...I race at SRS in AZ where it really is a 10th scale track, but 8th scalers show up huge and can sometimes/ a lot of times are the biggest showing. This is where I think a lightweight 8th would shine. The HB Ve8 for example would simply rule I think (from what I've seen). The Ve8 is even a lower profile car that almost looks like a 1/10 scale D4 or B44's big brother. I could only imagine running that thing on 3S or who knows...2S!!! This would be the ultimate lightweight 8th racer!!

I think this is where you will see lightwieght 8th scale take thier place in the RC world.....The smaller / smoother 10th scale tracks where 8ths are still showing up.

Big burly tracks = aluminum chassis, huge difs, and 6S/4S batteries.
Smaller 1/10 tracks = composite chassis, smaller difs (slipper maybe), 3S battery, possibly 2S (you never know).

Last edited by markhat250; 08-18-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kvrc
you are dreaming if you think you can make a 4 lb 1/8 size 4wd buggy using 1/8 tires. that is assuming you plan on weighing it track ready with battery body ect. even with the most expensive fancy materials it would be difficult and very expensive to make a reliable sub 7 lb buggy with a reasonable size battery.
The only reason it may end up being 5lbs is because it's a 1/10 buggy/truggy, so all the parts are smaller. I'll see once the 1/8 buggy wheels/tires are on it. But so far in brushless form, it weighs about 4lbs. I run a single 3s pack which isn't heavy. This isn't for racing. I don't think it would be allowed since it's a modified 1/10 truck.

That should be fun watching your 5lb buggy break into multiple pieces after the hits it will take on the track. Why the need to make it lighter when these rigs are capable of doing 50mph as is?
It won't break any more than it does now. It's already brushless and under 5lbs and all I would be doing is making an extended chassis. So far, it will break the a-arms on an impact with the front wheel/tire if I hit things at 30+mph. As I mentioned above, it's only light because I'm lengthening a 1/10 buggy/truggy which means smaller parts. Regardless of the slight length addition, it's durability will remain unchanged from where it's at now. Not saying it's more durable than a true 1/8. Quite the contrary. I'm just saying it can be an example of how an ultralight 1/8 buggy may behave (both in terms of performance and durability). I'm doing it because I want it to be slightly larger and the end result would make it almost exactly 1/8 buggy size.

I agree that I don't see a need to go lighter for a 1/8 buggy. Relative to trucks I normally drive (truggy and MT), 1/8 buggies are already very light and agile. And the currently available brushless systems and LiPos are more than powerful enough to move the current 1/8 buggies with ease.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

i understand and completly agree that a light buggy wont stay planted in many track conditions and will be a bad thing.
what you guys are not thinking about are what the manufacturers are going to start producing in an attempt to make what people think they need.
guys will shell out big bucks for the next greatest wiz bang buggy and it wont be fast so they get dissapointed and leave the class.
or guys will look at the price and shy away. or the buggys will be fragile and turn people off for that reason.
and as far as needing a light 1/8 to be fast on a small 1/10 style track that is not the case at all. we have been racing them at a small 8 ft lane low traction track for over 3 years now. many of the fast guys run 1/8 buggy as well as 1/10 4wd and they basicly run the same lap times with both. all of the 1/8 buggys at this track are 4s 8+ pound cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.