Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

if it works ok some of the time, i would check your sensor wire. i have seen several of them break 1 of those stiff, tiny little wires. that is the only issue i have with tekin. wish the would supply a more supple sensor wire.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iThinman
So I now have a second RX8, a brand new replacement for my previous failure which is still awaiting rma.

....same exact problem. I ran Thursday, packed up and went home. I just plugged in a battery at the track, turn it on, no tones and no response to throttle.

2nd race weekend in a row ruined.
Sounds like you may have something else that may be causing you problems. Two speedos with the exact same problem, I would be looking at the motor, batteries, sensor wire or receiver.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Tech Addict

I'm surprised at how many problems people have with the RX8. I ran my first RX8 with a 1900 motor for one full year before I got one of the newer models. Nothing was wrong, but I decided to run the new model and keep my older one as a spare. So far after 2 years, I have yet to have a problem with the ESC. I did receive a bad motor, but after playing with it for a few minutes we had everything figured out and working properly.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jmackani
Sounds like you may have something else that may be causing you problems. Two speedos with the exact same problem, I would be looking at the motor, batteries, sensor wire or receiver.
Yeah, it has to be the T8 sensor board. There is no other explanation I can think of, although it really wouldn't explain how when my first failure occurred, speedo swap cured it immediately. I use multiple batteries, swapped the sensor wire when i swapped speedo's and the receiver has been tested in another car.

Cars is at the track tonight, but in the morning, I will closely inspect the sensor connector on the motor and then pull the back off and check it out.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Tech Initiate

new rx8... where did I go wrong?

turn on esc, hold the mode button for 3 seconds, lights in the middle... not touching radio...ding-a-ling-ding-a-ling, beep beep beep beep ding-a-ling light goes to far right, hold trigger... nothing..

reversed throttle on radio repeated previous steps same result...

after a few times of this i hit the brakes while the esc was searching for throttle (the radio was still reversed) and it went ding-a-ling... pulled back the throttle while esc was searching for brakes and nothing again... so maybe the radio doesnt need to be reversed?

i gave up for a while and began searching on the internet... and read a few things about the "neutral zone" ... then began round 2

radio normal...without calibrating... i started adjusting my throttle trim until the esc lights went out.. hit the throttle car goes forward but seems slow, this is my first e-buggy so i am thinking maybe they just looked faster on the track, then i accidentally hit reverse and the car took off backwards with the acceleration i was expecting...

i am guessing if i reverse the motor and then reverse the radio and it would be all good... but I wanted input on to what i am doing wrong before I played with this anymore...

wires are all connected correctly, brand new equipment in a brand new mbx6 eco...rx8, 1900kv tekin motor, mx-3x radio...

any help would be appreciated.. thanks in advance
Old 02-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Another race day and still more issues. I ran 3x6 minute qualifiers, the XT8 was awesome, TQ for the final against the gas cars. Took off from the front and slowly pulled away, no issues until the 7 minute mark, hit the gas and nothing!! Pulled the trigger again only lightly and had power. I tried giving it full throttle like I was before and it would have no power, none at all, until I let off abit. Did a battery change and this continues for the rest of the race. Very frustrating, but still won the race by a few laps. I thought the motor was temping, but the motor was about 65c after the race, which is similar to the qualifiers, which hit 70c. RX8 temp is fine too, so not a temp issue on either and with a battery swap in the middle of the race, its not a battery issue. Geared 48 spur, 15T pinion with a 2000kv. Any ideas?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by B mullins
So has everyone that owns a RX8 had problems? I trying to compare between the RX8 and Castle. After reading all of the problems on the this post , it looks like the castle works better but is not as smooth.

Tekin if you guys could tell me how to get it to run every time then I would buy one since I already the rs versions in my 1/10th scale.

Planning on running 1/8th scale oval with a 3s.

Thanks in advance
B
I went with Tekin, for my 8th scale stuff (truggy and buggy) because of the sucess that I had with my RS and RS Pro's in my 10th scale stuff. I still won't use another company for my esc's but I've certainly had my fair share of issues with my RX8's. Tekin has taken care of all but two of my warranty repairs (out of time is what I was told) and was very good to talk to on the phone this past week when I called in for my RA number.

To be honest, with as much as I was told that these latest version RX8's are to be as best as best can get, I'm still skeptical after only getting three races out of one of them. We'll see. I've tried driving toned down MMM's and they are still agony to drive so I guess that I'll just keep Tekin's number on speed dial for now.

Originally Posted by neobart
And just about anything is smoother than a MMM. I wouldn't recommend it for racing, way to abrupt power delivery IMO.
Yes, they are absolutely hideous, out of the box, but they can be made better. Not smooth enough for me but there are still people out there racing with them, around me, with 0 issues. I know that they had plenty of issues when they first came out but I haven't seen one go out for some time now. Of course, that could be because of all of the RX8's that are being used to replace the MMM's in the area, who knows.

Originally Posted by Greg M
Another race day and still more issues. I ran 3x6 minute qualifiers, the XT8 was awesome, TQ for the final against the gas cars. Took off from the front and slowly pulled away, no issues until the 7 minute mark, hit the gas and nothing!! Pulled the trigger again only lightly and had power. I tried giving it full throttle like I was before and it would have no power, none at all, until I let off abit. Did a battery change and this continues for the rest of the race. Very frustrating, but still won the race by a few laps. I thought the motor was temping, but the motor was about 65c after the race, which is similar to the qualifiers, which hit 70c. RX8 temp is fine too, so not a temp issue on either and with a battery swap in the middle of the race, its not a battery issue. Geared 48 spur, 15T pinion with a 2000kv. Any ideas?
Sounds like it could be a connection issue somewhere but to be honest, all but my last RX8 failures acted the exact same way before they completely went out. Go over your solder joints and if you have them, try a different sensor wire and receiver just in case.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by deucedeuce

turn on esc, hold the mode button for 3 seconds, lights in the middle... not touching radio...ding-a-ling-ding-a-ling, beep beep beep beep ding-a-ling light goes to far right, hold trigger... nothing..

after a few times of this i hit the brakes while the esc was searching for throttle (the radio was still reversed) and it went ding-a-ling... pulled back the throttle while esc was searching for brakes and nothing again... so maybe the radio doesnt need to be reversed?

i gave up for a while and began searching on the internet... and read a few things about the "neutral zone" ... then began round 2

radio normal...without calibrating... i started adjusting my throttle trim until the esc lights went out.. hit the throttle car goes forward but seems slow, this is my first e-buggy so i am thinking maybe they just looked faster on the track, then i accidentally hit reverse and the car took off backwards with the acceleration i was expecting...

i am guessing if i reverse the motor and then reverse the radio and it would be all good... but I wanted input on to what i am doing wrong before I played with this anymore...

wires are all connected correctly, brand new equipment in a brand new mbx6 eco...rx8, 1900kv tekin motor, mx-3x radio...

so i took it out again today and its actually not faster in reverse its slow either way... it just seemed faster in reverse in the short runs last night... i am guessing by by trimming my throttle i am limiting the amount of throttle input only allowing me to go to about quarter throttle... i definitely need to get this calibrated, is there a trick or am I missing something?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You have to get that calibration done. Your problem sounds like a neutral width problem. Try increasing the neutral width on the esc if you have a hotwire. I think you can also do it with the mode and increment buttons on the speedo directly also.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Make sure your throttle and brake EPA is set at 100% before you calibrate.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Initiate

all epa's are at 100%, all trims at zero... i tried adjusting the neutral width all the way up, and all the way down and that didn't make a difference.

During calibration will find neutral the light will go to the right and i can hold the throttle for minutes and it will wont find it, with the throttle reversed in the radio I get the same response... it will find neutral but wont find full throttle...??
Old 02-13-2011, 10:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

I don't think the Airtronics radio needs to be reversed on the throttle channel...

That should help eliminate one variable.

I also had an RS Pro once that WOULD NOT calibrate correctly to a DX2 radio... It ended up being a problem with the radio in the end, because even with another DX2 it ended up calibrating just fine.

Try borrowing a radio from somebody to make sure it'll calibrate to that just to eliminate that variable.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you never succesfully complete a radio calibration the system will be erratic at best.

IF the system won't find throttle or brake flip the "rev" on the channel.

If you still have an issue try using your ch1 and see if it calibrates, if it does you may have a bad receiver or even transmitter.

Any odd power issues need to be looked at. First thing is to make sure you're rotor is good. Take it out and make sure that the magnet body is not seperating from the shaft. Since you finished your race though this is not likely the issue.

Anytime you've got erratic throttle or glitching the first thing we do is pull the sensor harness from the esc. If you have a bad sensor harness or bad motor sensor board it can cause these types of issues.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike

Any odd power issues need to be looked at. First thing is to make sure you're rotor is good. Take it out and make sure that the magnet body is not seperating from the shaft. Since you finished your race though this is not likely the issue.

Anytime you've got erratic throttle or glitching the first thing we do is pull the sensor harness from the esc. If you have a bad sensor harness or bad motor sensor board it can cause these types of issues.
Thanks Randy. I have a spare new in box Rx8 and 2000kv, so will probably drop the new system in and see if there is an issue and work backwards.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Initiate

wow I was thinking about getting a RX8 but it sounds like it has more issues than it is worth and the warranty ain't that great compared to others and having to tear apart a motor after three races? Steve Neu makes better motors IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.