Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So I take it it's not safe to order this ESC yet? I hear all kinds of good stuff about how smooth it is and I don't want to bash something so promising, but I can't afford to let our short Michigan summer slip away while I'm staring at my buggy waiting for a replacement.

I'll keep checking here. When the smoke settles, I definitely want one.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kzoolou
So I take it it's not safe to order this ESC yet? I hear all kinds of good stuff about how smooth it is and I don't want to bash something so promising, but I can't afford to let our short Michigan summer slip away while I'm staring at my buggy waiting for a replacement.

I would say this system is quite safe. It seems to me that there are relatively few problems compared to the numbers being sold. Plus even if you have an issue...chances are that Tekin will have you back up and running in about a week.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kzoolou

The first gen may have issues with rotors and fans, but I've run my RX8 2050 combo for three race days so far with no problems. Kinda wished I bought the 1900 instead of the 2050 because it's more than I can handle.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

THe RX8 is solid. We're having so few failures compared to how many are in operation.

So far most failures can be attributed to bad solder joints. I can stress enough that a good flow is VERY neccessary to reliability. The solder joints we're seeing often show little to no flow under the wire and are simply soldered on the sides of the solder posts, not all the way in the valley.

People are running everything from 2s on up to 6s and it works great.

We are taking care of any issues that do come up as fast as we can. Call us on the phone, shoot us an email we will respond. If anyone is looking for setup tips you can shoot me an email here:

[email protected]

I'll do whatever I can to help.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

So far I'm impressed with the capability of the RX8 ESC. I used 2s2p A123, 4s1p and 6s1p A123, all with the same motor and gearing. I have yet to thermal the ESC. Today the Pletty reached 170F, batteries 148F and the ESC didn't complain. Wires were at 123F.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by uncle everett
Do I glue the spool/disks to the shaft? What about the magnet to the spools/disks?
unc,I glued the spool to the magnets, then too the shaft on both rotors. You need to make sure your spacing is correct.I've tested one of the glued ones and so far so good. Our local team driver's son's rotor came loose immediately, where mine each had two 15 min runs on them.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Does the RX8 esc and motor have the ability to work with the Tekno kit that uses mechanical brakes and a engine clutch system?? Similar to this one....

http://http://www.amainhobbies.com/p...ovak-Motors%29
Old 06-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
Man I'm sorry but I don't see how you can expect any fan to take that kind of abuse. If I was a manufacturer and I saw that photo, I wouldn't warrenty a broken fan blade or an overheated ESC. Also, if I was getting that much mud inside my car, I'd put some kind of screen over the ESC.
the fan is covered under warrenty???

but anyway, I would never let my esc get like htat normaly, but it was the bigest race of the year and I accualy had a chance at wining...(stupid A-arm...)

the esc never got past 3leds with it like that.

besides, most of that is not water, its shock oil a little dirt does get flung up under the body, but not much.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kings Kid
unc,I glued the spool to the magnets, then too the shaft on both rotors. You need to make sure your spacing is correct.I've tested one of the glued ones and so far so good. Our local team driver's son's rotor came loose immediately, where mine each had two 15 min runs on them.
Glued mine up last night with permatex 64000. I just put some glue down and shoved the shit together. Tonight we shall see. What spacing are you talking about? A buddy told me the same thing-- either your on crazy or I'm "stuck" Ha Ha

Mine had about 15 minutes on em.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hate2Looz
Does the RX8 esc and motor have the ability to work with the Tekno kit that uses mechanical brakes and a engine clutch system?? Similar to this one....

http://http://www.amainhobbies.com/p...ovak-Motors%29

I run the Tekin set-up on my Tekno D8, runs great, no issues!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
The replacement fans are available, you can have your LHS order them, part no. TT3812 for a 2 pack.
Ty,

I went to my LHS and they cannot get it. Their distributors (Horizon, etc) do not have the fan. Can I buy the fan directly from Tekin?

Thxs
Old 06-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dont have much time on my RX8 but so far the best ESC I ever had.
Quark was unreliable, MGM does not brake enough.

However T8 motor failure rate is quite scary. Two my friends already had magnet separated from the rotor. One almost immediately, the other after 2 weeks. I bought backup engine just to be safe.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by wallot
Dont have much time on my RX8 but so far the best ESC I ever had.
Quark was unreliable, MGM does not brake enough.

However T8 motor failure rate is quite scary. Two my friends already had magnet separated from the rotor. One almost immediately, the other after 2 weeks. I bought backup engine just to be safe.
Tell them to e-mail me and I'll send them new rotors.

FM, call the office number and we can get them for you!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
Tell them to e-mail me and I'll send them new rotors.
they went through your standard support and rotors should be on the way. So they were taken care of. Thanks.
However since i got my motors as soon as they were available i guess i am doomed to have them fail as well.

I just hope both wont fail in one day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.