Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradfox2
It connects between the load and the source, so in our case, between the battery and the ESC. Mine came with deans plugs because I ordered it that way but it also comes with just bare wires which I now wish I had gotten(would have made install easier).

The RPM sensor is just a wire that connects to one phase of the motor. The temperature sensor is just a little thermocouple. I have it screwed in on the T8 motor similar in fashion to the sensor wire holder.

I'm on vacation now and Ill post up a pic of the whole setup when I get back, but to give you a general idea, I have the data logger ziptied over the center diff in my 8ight 2.0. The battery and esc both connect to this.

If you are running 4s I would recommend the 200 amp version though. I have seen spikes on mine up to 105 amps, but luckily they are not sustained.
Please post the pics when you do get back Brad! I am really considering this as my next item to help me keep things in check. Have a good vacation.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Team Tekin

To see what version you're running click "show version" . This will show what is in the esc and what is available on your computer.

To get the latest version you can go here:

www.teamtekin.com/hotwire.html

If you have 198 on your computer(and you should if you have an RX8) you would see the 1s check box.

NW is the dead band setting in the esc. Going too low can cause no drag brakes, delayed arming, and an over sensitive throttle.

I do not like to see anyone lower than 10. Most good radios "can" go to MIN but you run the risk of not allowing proper function. We can see a much narrower window that most radios can give us.

When you change this setting also make sure to re calibrate your esc, just to be sure it's seeing your current nuetral.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Hey guys, just an fyi. i have a new 1900kv/esc combo and a new 1700kv truggy motor up for grabs over in the for sales section. pm me for details if you cant find it. later.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TEAM-AE-4-EVER

(courtesy of avrcguy's post)

TY!
I saw a different type of failure at practice today. Instead of the shaft falling out of the rotor block, the magnets fell off the rotor block. Has anyone else seen this type of failure. It happened after about 2 laps and the motor was no more than 90 degrees if that. It just appears that the magnets were not glued onto the rotor piece.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Well I got to race my new D8 with RX8 2050 buggy combo today for the first time. The power is crazy and super smooth. My motor was 140-145 after the 5min heats and 165 after the 20 min main. For the main I turned the epa down to 90% on my radio. The esc came off after every race with the fan running and with 2 or 3 lights, I have it geared at 48/18 but I'm not sure if this is really the correct gearing or not. I got the hotwire but have not hooked it up yet. If there are any ideas of where I can go with my gearing or what to adjust once I hook the hotwire up.

Today we only had 2 electric 1/8 buggies there so we ran with the nitros. Durning the heats (with the epa up) I could beat the nitros but once the main came and turned the epa down I couldn't hang with them anymore, half due to me drivings slower to make sure my battery made the entire 20 main. I finished 4th out of 7 in the A main missing 3rd by 33 secs which is a little under what it takes to run one lap. I put on a great show for the RX8 that was for sure. Again if there is any help on my setup that would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by tazman592; 05-30-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
NW is the dead band setting in the esc. Going too low can cause no drag brakes, delayed arming, and an over sensitive throttle.

I do not like to see anyone lower than 10. Most good radios "can" go to MIN but you run the risk of not allowing proper function. We can see a much narrower window that most radios can give us.
If a person is running the clutch, drag breaks would not be desired correct? So wouldn't running it down to MIN with a radio such as the DX3R be alright? Wouldn't the smaller dead band be good to get the clutch engaging just a little quicker be good?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kufman
I saw a different type of failure at practice today. Instead of the shaft falling out of the rotor block, the magnets fell off the rotor block. Has anyone else seen this type of failure. It happened after about 2 laps and the motor was no more than 90 degrees if that. It just appears that the magnets were not glued onto the rotor piece.
kufman, really seems to be a problem with the gluing process at their factory overseas then. Again, quality control seems to be the issue. I'm hoping Tekin Prez, Randy, TY, or anyone who represents Tekin can answer my original question one page back as to why SINTERED ROTORS were not included with these high powered motors? Will it be a future upgrade and alternative option part that Tekin plans to sell? I recently asked some guys who own the MMM system and according to them their Mamba motors have SINTERED ROTORS. This doesn't mean they never have any failures... but I'll bet their percentage is much lower than Bonded Rotors especially for this particular application and the loads they are under. I hope someone from Tekin can chime in directly on this as well as letting us know if there is any indication on their packaging that points to updated and upgraded T8 Motors which apparently have: "hydraulic press fit and should be a lot stronger." Having that on the packaging will at least give customers who eventually buy them extra peace of mind. So far at least, Tekin's transparency and customer service speaks volumes of the overall character of the company which has been very reassuring.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I just got my RX8 1900kv up and running. I have a "dumb" question though, does the cooling fan come on only as needed? I notice mine turns on briefly when I start the ESC but then turns off. I have not run it yet so I don't know.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by blade329
I just got my RX8 1900kv up and running. I have a "dumb" question though, does the cooling fan come on only as needed? I notice mine turns on briefly when I start the ESC but then turns off. I have not run it yet so I don't know.
Yes as needed.......btw, go to Revelation tomorrow I will be there with my Tekin setup and 8ight!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by js058515
Yes as needed.......btw, go to Revelation tomorrow I will be there with my Tekin setup and 8ight!
Thanks for the info. I would head out, if I had my steering servo. I wont have it until Monday. Will the 1900kv be okay at Revelation?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

The fan comes on when needed! My 2050 runs great 140-150 max.... I only make 16 min on my zippy 4 cell 5000 .... Hummmm! Love it , gonna invest in a longer lasting Batt. The max amps ran 20 min in my friends car... What to do?
Old 05-31-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TEAM-AE-4-EVER
kufman, really seems to be a problem with the gluing process at their factory overseas then. Again, quality control seems to be the issue. I'm hoping Tekin Prez, Randy, TY, or anyone who represents Tekin can answer my original question one page back as to why SINTERED ROTORS were not included with these high powered motors? Will it be a future upgrade and alternative option part that Tekin plans to sell? I recently asked some guys who own the MMM system and according to them their Mamba motors have SINTERED ROTORS. This doesn't mean they never have any failures... but I'll bet their percentage is much lower than Bonded Rotors especially for this particular application and the loads they are under. I hope someone from Tekin can chime in directly on this as well as letting us know if there is any indication on their packaging that points to updated and upgraded T8 Motors which apparently have: "hydraulic press fit and should be a lot stronger." Having that on the packaging will at least give customers who eventually buy them extra peace of mind. So far at least, Tekin's transparency and customer service speaks volumes of the overall character of the company which has been very reassuring.

NEUs use the same bondad rotor... I wouldn't be supriesd if they accualy fit in the tekin motors.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 209 (99%+)

Originally Posted by kufman

Exactly what happened to mine....

Old 05-31-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

stupid @$$ fan... it thermaled on me today it was even an itty bitty novak 4.5 HV...

whats the recomended fan??
Old 05-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I bought a Spektrum Telemetry unit a few years back and never used it. Now I'm thinking it might be a good idea to run it for a Temperature warning. It vibrates when it hits your preset temperature threshold. I'm trying to decide if I should run it on the motor or the ESC. I'm thinking the ESC right now in case the fan goes out and the ESC starts to thermal. I typically gear for correct heat on the motor, so I'm a little less worried about that.

If I decide to run it on the ESC, what would be an optimal setting so that I have plenty of warning to pull over but, not so low that I'm constantly pulling over for non-emergencies?

Any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.