Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mavdriver
Actually no you need to get a Tekin Hot wire it looks like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekin-TT1451...3D371537159408 it connects to your computer its the easiest way to program the esc , you can also do it manually with out a computer but its more difficult I would get a hold of Tekin Rep Tech guy and have it explained it to you , Randy is a Tekin guy maybe he will chime in and explained better then me
Thanks got it.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have an RX8 G2 coming for my ebuggy and I am wondering... I am buying a HV servo, can I adjust the esc to send 7.4v to that servo? or does it only go to 6.0v? or 7.0? or what? I am not sure how to wire up an external BEC so if I can just do it from the ESC I would prefer to do that. And if I do that, am I putting the esc at any type of risk by pushing the 7.4v?

Also, can someone explain to me how to wire up an external BEC ?
Old 04-15-2016, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapjack
I have an RX8 G2 coming for my ebuggy and I am wondering... I am buying a HV servo, can I adjust the esc to send 7.4v to that servo? or does it only go to 6.0v? or 7.0? or what? I am not sure how to wire up an external BEC so if I can just do it from the ESC I would prefer to do that. And if I do that, am I putting the esc at any type of risk by pushing the 7.4v?

Also, can someone explain to me how to wire up an external BEC ?
GEN2 internal bec outputs 7.4V, however, if you'd like to wire an external bec, just follow the scheme bellow:

(+/-) from your battery > BEC > (+/-) servo

You must leave the signal wire (white/yellow) coming from the esc so as your servo knows what to do

your servo cable will be

(+/-) from BEC
(sgn) from ESC
Old 04-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Team Tekin

You need to have the white/yellow signal wire AND the black ground wire from the esc to the receiver. We need both for a good radio signal.

Basically you just remove the red wire from the esc plug to the RX.

Yes the red and black from the seperate bec goes to the battery slot in the RX.

You should not need a seperate BEC with the Rx8 or the RSX. They both have very good BEC in them and there is a HV setting for the 7.4V output.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tekin Prez
You need to have the white/yellow signal wire AND the black ground wire from the esc to the receiver. We need both for a good radio signal.

Basically you just remove the red wire from the esc plug to the RX.

Yes the red and black from the seperate bec goes to the battery slot in the RX.

You should not need a seperate BEC with the Rx8 or the RSX. They both have very good BEC in them and there is a HV setting for the 7.4V output.

Thank you very much. I would prefer to not run a BEC. So this is the exact answer I was looking for (whether I really needed to or not with the RX8/RSX - I have both). So, thank you. But, do I need to turn on this "HV setting" you mention? Or does it automatically work once I bump the up to 7.4V in the hotwire?
Old 04-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I have a brand new Tekin RX-8 that I installed in a car and when I try to hook up the Hotwire to it the computer doesn't seem to recognize it. It just keeps showing that "step 1, step 2..." screen

The green light on the hotwire is blinking very rapidly and the red light on the esc is also blinking very rapidly. I have tried my other tekin esc's and they all work fine so I assume the RX-8 has an issue....

Can someone chime in and tell me what might be wrong?

Thanks!!
Old 04-26-2016, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

I just installed my Rx8 in my EB48.3 and when I pull the trigger it goes in reverse but then if I push the trigger forward there is no delay it just smashes right into forward speed. So if I push reverse on the controller it goes forward but then when I pull the trigger the brake works. Is there a setting in the hotwire I need to change? I tried reversing the throttle on the transmitter but that didn't work. The weird thing is I had the ESC/Motor and Rx in my truggy and I just pulled it all out together all hooked up and dropped it right into the buggy. It worked fine in the truggy.

Also, I am not sure but it feels like when I push forward on the trigger and the buggy drives forward it feels like it has the power that reverse would normally have (because I have reverse turned down powerwise). Then when I pull the trigger it goes in reverse but it feels like it has the full power that forward would normally have (100%). I think I had this issue previously on a hobbywing esc and if I remember right I had to go in and change the esc setting for the connections. It was set to C-B-A and I had to change it to A-B-C.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It sounds like the buggy has the opposite driveline rotation of your truggy. If you have the hot wire I believe there is a setting where you can reverse the motor direction. This should fix your issue. I know you can switch the wires on a sensorless system but I am not sure about a sensored system.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

I just installed my Rx8 in my EB48.3 and when I pull the trigger it goes in reverse but then if I push the trigger forward there is no delay it just smashes right into forward speed. So if I push reverse on the controller it goes forward but then when I pull the trigger the brake works. Is there a setting in the hotwire I need to change? I tried reversing the throttle on the transmitter but that didn't work. The weird thing is I had the ESC/Motor and Rx in my truggy and I just pulled it all out together all hooked up and dropped it right into the buggy. It worked fine in the truggy.

Also, I am not sure but it feels like when I push forward on the trigger and the buggy drives forward it feels like it has the power that reverse would normally have (because I have reverse turned down powerwise). Then when I pull the trigger it goes in reverse but it feels like it has the full power that forward would normally have (100%). I think I had this issue previously on a hobbywing esc and if I remember right I had to go in and change the esc setting for the connections. It was set to C-B-A and I had to change it to A-B-C.
With a sensored motor, DO NOT swap the wires. They must stay A-A, B-B, and C-C. If you are using a sensored motor with the RX8, but don't have the sensor cable installed you can swap them, but if you install the cable you risk destroying the motor and ESC.

First, it sounds like you need to re-do the one touch programming. Make sure your trim and sub trims are at 0 and your EPA settings are maxed out and any dual rate settings are off. Set the channel reversing to normal. Then hold the MODE button until the motor chimes at you and the lights flash on the ESC. Let the esc find neutral, then go to full throttle when the lights change, and then full reverse when they change again.

Once you confirm the ESC is properly set up and you are getting full throw in the appropriate direction, if the car is still going the wrong direction you will need to flip the differentials or use a hotwire to change the motor rotation.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freakshow__
I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I have a brand new Tekin RX-8 that I installed in a car and when I try to hook up the Hotwire to it the computer doesn't seem to recognize it. It just keeps showing that "step 1, step 2..." screen

The green light on the hotwire is blinking very rapidly and the red light on the esc is also blinking very rapidly. I have tried my other tekin esc's and they all work fine so I assume the RX-8 has an issue....

Can someone chime in and tell me what might be wrong?

Thanks!!
2 things to check:

1. Make 100% sure your HW is all the way seated onto the USB cable.

2. Make sure you're using the latest software downloaded here: www.teamtekin.com/hotwire.html
Old 04-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I don't recall the Tekno's needing reverse rotation. So make 100% sure your diffs are installed correctly.

You should NEVER swap the ABC motor wires on a sensored setup.

Did you program using the Hotwire ?
Old 04-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Krio
With a sensored motor, DO NOT swap the wires. They must stay A-A, B-B, and C-C. If you are using a sensored motor with the RX8, but don't have the sensor cable installed you can swap them, but if you install the cable you risk destroying the motor and ESC.

First, it sounds like you need to re-do the one touch programming. Make sure your trim and sub trims are at 0 and your EPA settings are maxed out and any dual rate settings are off. Set the channel reversing to normal. Then hold the MODE button until the motor chimes at you and the lights flash on the ESC. Let the esc find neutral, then go to full throttle when the lights change, and then full reverse when they change again.

Once you confirm the ESC is properly set up and you are getting full throw in the appropriate direction, if the car is still going the wrong direction you will need to flip the differentials or use a hotwire to change the motor rotation.
Thank I will try that
Old 04-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
I don't recall the Tekno's needing reverse rotation. So make 100% sure your diffs are installed correctly.

You should NEVER swap the ABC motor wires on a sensored setup.

Did you program using the Hotwire ?
I think I did. It was in my Tekno ET48 and I never drove it after I built it but I know it was working properly. I am going to try re-programming the ESC/Tx and see what happens.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is there anything that would be wrong that would be melting off the positive terminal on the deans and at the positive terminal on the battery? I have rewired it and the connectors are clean. I've been told this is a sign that it is going bad, any thoughts?
Old 06-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Data log info:
First 3 runs I got data. I cleared for a new week after viewing and today after running multiple times I only found 1 new log.
I did hook into hotwire to make adjustments at the track but just did setting changes. Does this ruin the logs? What did I do wrong and how can I keep several logs from the day?

2nd ?
I feel like if I move my throttle a hair its gone. How can I adjust in a small amount of hairs, say 3-5 hairs..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.