Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by diamonddawg21
I have a tekin RX8 Gen2 that today I noticed the A post seems to have some side to side play. All of the others are solid and dont move, the ESC is barely 6 months old, should I send it in for repair or is this ok to run as is.
I would send it back as it can short out and cause a fire on the vehicle also short out the lipo that would be really bad , do not take a chance . that happen to a bud of mine similar scenerio hobby wing esc though not tekin , better to be safe then sorry .
Old 03-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mavdriver
I would send it back as it can short out and cause a fire on the vehicle also short out the lipo that would be really bad , do not take a chance . that happen to a bud of mine similar scenerio hobby wing esc though not tekin , better to be safe then sorry .
Thank you, it will be out of here tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FL2DC75
Anyone else having issues with their RX8 Gen 2's failing. I have 3 that have failed in the last few months. My last failure was catastrophic. I TQed sport buggy at wicked weekend and right before the start of A1 on my warm up lap it burst into flames on the straight. I had another fail at the start of the A main in truggy at Psycho nitro blast and one at AMS. I love how smooth this esc is but reliability has been an issue now that I have 3 expensive paperweights on my pit table. I am not a punched drive and even keep my current limiter at 40 to have a smooth powerband. Any help would be appreciated bc this has cost me at 3 large races.
I have had 2 in the last month have same issue,One was a gen 1 I sent back for repairs a few months ago,it just went out down the back stretch in the middle of A main. The second was a gen 2 that was a couple months old,it smoked out and melted down so bad it melted the dean connectors off a brand new 7200 mah trinity rev tech lipo. both running scte with 40/13 gearing,one with a pro4 4600. small track 8 min mains. Fans were both working on start up. 2 other guys this month have had similar things happen on newish gen 2 rx8 units. I have had pretty decent luck with rx8 gen1 through the years,and really good luck with the rs pro and rsx. Something is up though when the rx8 1/8th scale fails freq on 2s indoor sc racing. I sent them back in and the motor checked out ok,will find out soon if they shipped them back out under warranty. Ill stick with tekin for now based on their customer service and warranty.but at most the tracks Ive been to recently a ton of guys that been racing tekin for yrs are switching over to orion and hw esc. I hope they get this rx8 sorted out cause its a really smooth tunable esc.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Sticker down for the fan, right? So you don't want to see it, right?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:21 PM
Tech Addict

I'm racing e buggy for the first time this season after racing nitro 8ght 2.0 buggy for a while. I bought a 8ight e 2.0 from a local with a rx8 and 1700kv T8 motor. The esc doesn't have a fan and he said he raced it with no issues like that while he had it. I was wondering what is considered to be high temps for the esc and motor I want to keep and eye on it when the season starts and see if I need to add a fan. I have a telemetry wire I can use to monitor the temps or just a temp gun.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DiaRh34
I'm racing e buggy for the first time this season after racing nitro 8ght 2.0 buggy for a while. I bought a 8ight e 2.0 from a local with a rx8 and 1700kv T8 motor. The esc doesn't have a fan and he said he raced it with no issues like that while he had it. I was wondering what is considered to be high temps for the esc and motor I want to keep and eye on it when the season starts and see if I need to add a fan. I have a telemetry wire I can use to monitor the temps or just a temp gun.
You don't need either. Just look at the number of blinking lights on the esc when it comes off the track. The rx8 has temp monitoring built in.

You likely won't need a fan.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by diamonddawg21
I have a tekin RX8 Gen2 that today I noticed the A post seems to have some side to side play. All of the others are solid and dont move, the ESC is barely 6 months old, should I send it in for repair or is this ok to run as is.
Yes, contact [email protected] for an RMA and get is sent in.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by ResultsRC
I have had 2 in the last month have same issue,One was a gen 1 I sent back for repairs a few months ago,it just went out down the back stretch in the middle of A main. The second was a gen 2 that was a couple months old,it smoked out and melted down so bad it melted the dean connectors off a brand new 7200 mah trinity rev tech lipo. both running scte with 40/13 gearing,one with a pro4 4600. small track 8 min mains. Fans were both working on start up. 2 other guys this month have had similar things happen on newish gen 2 rx8 units. I have had pretty decent luck with rx8 gen1 through the years,and really good luck with the rs pro and rsx. Something is up though when the rx8 1/8th scale fails freq on 2s indoor sc racing. I sent them back in and the motor checked out ok,will find out soon if they shipped them back out under warranty. Ill stick with tekin for now based on their customer service and warranty.but at most the tracks Ive been to recently a ton of guys that been racing tekin for yrs are switching over to orion and hw esc. I hope they get this rx8 sorted out cause its a really smooth tunable esc.
Sorry to hear you had an issue. But please understand that 4wd SC is the WORST load in r/c racing right now, worse the 1/8 racing.

It's the lowest voltage with the highest amp draw due to the 2s packs.

While we don't like hearing our customers have to use our customer service, we do like hearing when they do they're happy with the performance.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by portyansky
Sticker down for the fan, right? So you don't want to see it, right?
Correct, decal down.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It is a heck of a load,but other esc brands seem to be handling it well. maybe some kinda change needs to done with it for sc class. I did speak with jeromy today about it, tekin is replacing both under warranty,a newer one couple months old and older one that was sent back in once before a few months ago for service.
Hopefully it wont continue to be a problem,its a real drag to have one go bad in a main for the points series. I will continue to stay with tekin as long as they keep taking care of us. that says alot about the kinda company they are with racer and product support
Old 03-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

Has anyone ever tried the Pro 4 HD 3500 in their 4x4 sct? What did you think of it?
Old 03-29-2015, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

I'm new to running ebuggy this season (used to race nitro buggy) I'm wanting to see what hotwire setups other people are using for outdoor. My setup is rx8 gen1 with 1700kv gen1 t8 with 16/45 gearing. If anyone is running something similar and doesn't mind email me your setup file at [email protected] or post them here. This is what mine are currently
Old 04-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Team Tekin

What car is this in?
Old 04-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
What car is this in?
oops, 8ight 2.0e
Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Team Tekin

It all depends on how you want it to feel. Throttle minimum of 10 will make it start more abruptly and increase the minimum speed the system will drive. Brake minimum of 10 will also increase the abrupt feel when the brakes are activated. No current limiter will allow full punch, so it may feel pretty snappy in the low end. 26 neutral width is a wider dead band than I like on my trigger, but everyone has different preferences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.