Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TahoeDust
I have heard of people running their RX8 with no fan without problems. The upper part of my RX8 case (the part the fan mounts to) is cracked on one side. I have tried gluing, but have not been successful. Has anyone just removed the top/fan section of their RX8 case?

This is where the case is cracked:

The top half of the case interlocks with the heat sink. That combined with the way the lower half of the case is designed, is meant to hold the lower control board and the upper power board together once the screws are installed.

The connector between the two boards is sensitive to shock and movement. If you cut off the fan bracket... i imagine it could cause the connector to easily fail, as the power board would have nothing substantial pressing it against the control board.

I guess you could cut away the bracket leaving the four pieces that interlock with the heat sink, but i doubt it would be as secure. You could always remove the pieces of clear servo tape that Tekin installs between the two boards, and add a small glob of Shoe Goo between them. That would greatly lessen the importance of the upper case interlocking with the heat sink.

The Shoe Goo trick is the only way i have managed to avoid RX8 failure related to the connector. Even with the servo tape that is installed between the two boards, you can move the control board around in relation to the power board.

The last RX8 i had issues with i didnt take the time to Shoe Goo between the boards... and the speedo failed. Apparently there was so much movement between the two boards that one of the pins got bent and forced down into the bottom of the connector, and that is why it stopped working (it was doing the typical off/on power cycle after jumping the buggy).

I snagged a spare power board with a good connector out of my parts box, deleted the power switch (soldered it together at the board), added Shoe Goo (let it cure overnight), and reassembled the RX8. Its been flawless ever since.

The only thing you might consider before doing this... is if Tekin would cover the speedo under warranty for other non related issues (its never been mentioned that i know of). The Shoe Goo does come off, but its a little time consuming/detailed to do so.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The case is designed to put the proper amount of pressure on the two boards. There are spacers that are in between the boards that help keep the boards parallel to each other which also assure the connector halves are kept square and plugged in properly. If you remove the spacers and simply shoe goo the two boards you'd have better assure they're perfectly flat.

We certainly don't endorse nor suggest this mod. A quick test is to hold your Rx8 in your hand and attempt to wiggle the heatsink inside. It shouldn't move.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Should the first Hotwire (V1, the black one) work with the Android app using a OTG (on-the-go) USB adapter? Can someone step through the exact steps? (e.g. attach cable, turn on power to ESC, start android app, what lights on Hotwire should light up or blink, etc)?

Also, the Tekin sites says we can use "USB Host Diagnostics" app to see if our phone should work. What exactly do we look for in the "USB Host Diagnostics" results?
Old 02-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by SamuraiJack
Should the first Hotwire (V1, the black one) work with the Android app using a OTG (on-the-go) USB adapter? Can someone step through the exact steps? (e.g. attach cable, turn on power to ESC, start android app, what lights on Hotwire should light up or blink, etc)?

Also, the Tekin sites says we can use "USB Host Diagnostics" app to see if our phone should work. What exactly do we look for in the "USB Host Diagnostics" results?
Yes the HW Gen1 will work on the app. You will need an OTG cable for your specific Android device, and of course the HW and app downloaded on the device.

Hook up the HW to the esc, hook up the HW to the device, launch the app. You may be prompted to associate the HW device to the app which if you say "ok" to, will auto open the app from there on out.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Hmm.. My Hotwire works with my pc. My OTG cable works with reading usb drives. I plug in esc hotwire then hotwire into phone via OTG cable. First green LED lights up on the hotwire. I start the app and it says "Hotwire Not Found, Check Connections" and then just runs in demo mode. May just not work on my phone. I'll live.

UPDATE: I read somewhere to try to restart the phone with Hotwire plugged in so I did. The app now seems to recognize it. It starts the app when I plug in the Hotwire and the "not found" error no longer shows, but the app just hangs now on a mostly blank screen.

Last edited by SamuraiJack; 02-11-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Make sure your battery is powering the esc. Start it again, took a time or two at first for me.
Sounds like it's trying, give it a couple shots at it.
Not sure it matters but how I do it... power esc, esc on, connect usb, by now your phone should trigger auto connect with HW and it should run. First shot it asked me if I wanted to auto connect and I clicked yes. From then on it's just started as soon as I plug in.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)
Default 6S with what Motor

I have some left over 6 C 4100 Heli Batteries that I don't want to let goto waste. I am looking at getting at Kyosho MP9e. Can I make this work with any motor mix and pinion mix is there? The center pinion is 46.

is there a calculator to figure thing like this out. There was one for heli's
Old 02-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Team Tekin

Hmm.. My Hotwire works with my pc. My OTG cable works with reading usb drives. I plug in esc hotwire then hotwire into phone via OTG cable. First green LED lights up on the hotwire. I start the app and it says "Hotwire Not Found, Check Connections" and then just runs in demo mode. May just not work on my phone. I'll live.

UPDATE: I read somewhere to try to restart the phone with Hotwire plugged in so I did. The app now seems to recognize it. It starts the app when I plug in the Hotwire and the "not found" error no longer shows, but the app just hangs now on a mostly blank screen.
What device and what OS?
Old 02-12-2015, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

HTC ONE S, Android 4.1.1. Thanks for looking into it, but like I said, I'll live . I know these phone OS/versions are impossible to keep up with.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default dead esc?

I have everything wired together and calibrated in conjunction with a 1900kv t8, when I pull the trigger on the radio, motor barely turns and all LEDs flash. Sensor wire is connected as well.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Hey guys looking for settings and gearing suggestions for a new rx8 gen 2 1900 setup in a new to me Mugen mbx7r eco running at LCRC Raceway. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Not familiar with the size of that track but a range of pinions would be 14t to 16t.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by harley4me
Hey guys looking for settings and gearing suggestions for a new rx8 gen 2 1900 setup in a new to me Mugen mbx7r eco running at LCRC Raceway. Any help would be appreciated!
Calll the Lost Creek Cycles hobby shop. Kevin the owner runs all Mugen equipment.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

HTC ONE S, Android 4.1.1. Thanks for looking into it, but like I said, I'll live . I know these phone OS/versions are impossible to keep up with.
I have a 1st gen htc one, blue edition android version 4.4.3 now but i think when i first used the app i had 4.1.1 installed i believe ....

mine will do the same thing if esc is running off battery it only works for me if i run it off phone and usually i have to plug in hotwire first to esc then otg to phone
Old 03-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have a tekin RX8 Gen2 that today I noticed the A post seems to have some side to side play. All of the others are solid and dont move, the ESC is barely 6 months old, should I send it in for repair or is this ok to run as is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.