Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz
On the castle stuff its called "punch control". Same thing.
Thanks Jeff!!!! That explains it....
Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lovezyy
I think the current limiter has the same effect as the EPA on your transmitter. Because the ESC chages the frequency of fet on/off to control the power delivery to the motor. EPA use the same theory. For my opinion,if you and your battery can handle the current, you just leave the current limiter off.
Actually its not the same thing. The EPA on your transmitter will not only limit the acceleration, it will limit top speed as well. Current limiter or punch control basically just limits how quickly the motor can spool up. it will still reach the same maximum speed, but the more current limiter or punch control you set on the esc, the longer it takes to spool up to that maximum speed.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jhautz
Actually its not the same thing. The EPA on your transmitter will not only limit the acceleration, it will limit top speed as well. Current limiter or punch control basically just limits how quickly the motor can spool up. it will still reach the same maximum speed, but the more current limiter or punch control you set on the esc, the longer it takes to spool up to that maximum speed.
I do not think the ESC can know the actual current. The mcu on in the esc just control the frequency and on/off ratio of FET according to the pwm signal from the receiver. And current limiter on the esc is to limit the frequency and on/off ratio. EPA on the tranmitter is also to set the on/off ratio of pwm signal. So I think for proper setting, they should have the same effect.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by js058515
Thanks Jeff!!!! That explains it....
Just to be sure......on my MMM I like 20-30% punch control. Do the numbers on the hotwire represent the same percentages? ex. 20 on hotwire is 20% punch control. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Now that I found the right Tekin thread, quick q-- just got my 1900 kv combo, and noticed that it didn't come with a capaciter. Any recommendations? 4s Hyperion LiPo.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ice-nine
Now that I found the right Tekin thread, quick q-- just got my 1900 kv combo, and noticed that it didn't come with a capaciter. Any recommendations? 4s Hyperion LiPo.
They are internal
Old 05-21-2009, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anyone found a good fan mount yet for the tekin motors? Thinking about adding a fan for a little added insurance.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

I do not think the ESC can know the actual current. The mcu on in the esc just control the frequency and on/off ratio of FET according to the pwm signal from the receiver. And current limiter on the esc is to limit the frequency and on/off ratio. EPA on the tranmitter is also to set the on/off ratio of pwm signal. So I think for proper setting, they should have the same effect.
ESC probably doesnt know the actual current. But it can control how quickly the motor can spin up to speed. If it spins up from zero to full rpm in 1 second with no limiter set and it takes 10 seconds to spin up with the limiter fully set. (totally arbitrary numbers I have no idea what the time it takes is)

My point is that its more of a spool up timer than an actual current limiter, but limiting the rate the motor can spool up will certainly limit the amount current it can pull.

The EPA is not the same thing. If you set the EPA to 80% you get 80% acceleration and 80% top speed because your radio will not let you give more than 80% throttle. The current limiter setting or punch control simply limits the rate at which the motor can change RPM, but it doesn't limit the top rpm because it will still see full throttle. It just will take a little longer to get there.

Just to be sure......on my MMM I like 20-30% punch control. Do the numbers on the hotwire represent the same percentages? ex. 20 on hotwire is 20% punch control. Thanks.
Sounds like a reasonable assumption.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Anyone found a good fan mount yet for the tekin motors? Thinking about adding a fan for a little added insurance.
zip tie....
Old 05-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

First off, punch control on a MMM and Current Limit on the RX8 do not function in the same way. They both help smooth acceleration but they do it in two completely different ways. The MMM's punch control is like adjusting the speed of the servo used for throttle on a nitro car; 0 punch control is like using the fastest servo ever (.01 seconds) for instant throttle response while 100 would be like the stock servo that comes with most chinese cars at .22 seconds. Using alot of punch control would be good for someone who drives with a nitro finger as it will make it look like they have always driven electric as all the jabs at the throttle will be smoothed out. It just softens acceleration by simply limiting the rate of change for the input. Current limit in the RX8 does just as it says and limits the power going through the esc to the motor. The best comparison between the two methods would be to hold a car in the air and jab the throttle...the mmm will slowly wind up with punch control at 100% while an rx8 with 100 current limit will still instantly wind up as there is very little current needed with no load.
Getting to your question (finally ) , no 20 punch control more than likely does not equal 20 on the current limiter. You will have to mess with several settings to find out what is comparable to your old MMM settings. Just be wary that when you take a jump and there is no load on the car the throttle response will be more crisp (the way it should be) compared to punch control.

You really underestimate these things. But as jhautz said, they are not the same by any means. Lowering your epa will always lower your top speed while using current limit or punch control will still provide the same top end and simply limit the acceleration.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hay,
What do you think about me putting RX8 1400kv. system with 6s in a slash !

HE HE HE !
Old 05-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tim3
Hay,
What do you think about me putting RX8 1400kv. system with 6s in a slash !

HE HE HE !
I think this Tim: You <------ then then possibly then maybe and most definitely

As for the Slash, because your torturing it.

Youtube it though!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the answers Jeff and Krio, but it sounds like you have conflicting ideas. I realize I will have to play with the settings as they won't be the same as my previous controller. The reason I ask about current limit and the meaning of the numbers, is because when Randy posted a screen shot of a typical 6S hotwire setting he had the current limit at 85. The screen shot is below. Once I better understand the value I can know where to start setting it at and make adjustments in the right direction.
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread-6s1400-1700rx8.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 AM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Edumakated
I used an Integy fan and mount , like on all my other cars/trucks.

Althought they are relatively inexpensive [$12-$18] , I have had very good luck in very harsh conditions. With the one currently running on my Slash having lasted over 1 year, it is a good investment.

My new Tekins, are running under 100 degrees.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the answers Jeff and Krio, but it sounds like you have conflicting ideas. I realize I will have to play with the settings as they won't be the same as my previous controller. The reason I ask about current limit and the meaning of the numbers, is because when Randy posted a screen shot of a typical 6S hotwire setting he had the current limit at 85. The screen shot is below. Once I better understand the value I can know where to start setting it at and make adjustments in the right direction.
I'm sure Randy or someone from Tekin will chime in on excatly how the current limiter works on the Tekins. Either way, the basic principal is the same. Take the edge off of the acceleration and reduce amp spikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.