Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DaveW
In your airtronics radio... is it capable of high sensitivity for channels 1 and 2 (meant for digital servos)?

I ask because i just upgraded to an FHSS4 setup from FHSS2 and setting the throttle channel for ultra response gave me ESC setup issues. Switching to FHSS2, or turning off the ultra response for the throttle channel in FHSS4 solved the problem.

I dunno if this is the issue or maybe part of it... but i figured it was worth mentioning if it can help.
Thank you for your input. The radio is definitely meant for digital servos as I'm using one currently. Tomorrow I will try my friend's spektrum to find out if radio is not an issue.

I will also try a new sensor board. It must be something with the motor or the radio as the esc is new and acts the same as the first one was.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by archiller
I would like to find some information on this as well. Do you know how much voltage the RX8 BEC produces?
6v 5 amps.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Cmjomaha
Ok, got the software working on my sons older laptop. I think I got the latest version downloaded and I can update the ESC now. How can I tell which version firmware is actually loaded on the ESC and which software version of the Hotwire application I am running?

Guess I will never get it running on my new PC.
Not sure why you're upset.

To check the level of the Hotwire simply plug in ONLY the hotwire to the PC, launch the software , hit help, view the version.

On the esc simply plug into it and view "current version". If it attempts to auto update LET IT, it's old enough that it's considered mandatory.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Donat
I will try to stay calm despite the fact that after 3.5 months I got my Tekin combo back from warranty service and it's acting the same way it had been when I sent it. They replaced the ESC but not the motor which IMO is the problem.

So I'll post the same old videos I posted a while back hoping that possibly one of you experienced similar problem...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy3-3GHL7jA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfXyosLZ2X0
As you can see the pinion sort of vibreates at low speeds. When I accelerate the problem diminishes and no abnormal behaviour is visible.

These are videos I had taken before I sent the combo for warranty replacement. The 'new' combo acts in exact same way.

Tomorrow I'm going to try new sensor board, Spectrum DX3R Radio (mine is Airtronics MX3fhss), setting higher neutral width on the Hotwire.

Do you have any ideas what could be the reason?
I would really appreciate your advice...
I'd like you to use the Rx8's sensor checker feature and determine if your sensors are working properly. There's a reason why we have this feature.

If they show good then please do this next. Use the Hotwire and raise your "Min throttle" setting up in incriments of 2 until it no longer buzzes. From the sound of the car something may be sticking or binding in the drive train. This could be verified by removing the pinion and powering the motor to see if the noise is gone.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by hefe
any way to get more power for my servo without a bec? CC bec died on me this weekend and took out $300 worth of electronics with it...im hoping I can find a way to get decent steering without the risk of running a BEC. hooked it all up without the bec and forgot how underpowered it is..these aren't high voltage servos either.
wish the BEC was adjustable in the rx8
No, the Rx8 doesn't have an adjustable BEC. What car and servos are you using?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

randy,
Is it possible to replace the wire on the RX8 my self? it got little damaged and the rx8 started to cut out on me. Im pretty good at soldering just haven't opened up the rx8 to take a look at it. Let me get your opinion. thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I feel bad for the guys that arent in the States. I dropped my RX8 off at USPS the 11th, and got notification via email today that i will have it at my door the 18th.

Hands down, some of the best customer service ive ever had. For those having issues, things DO happen. Just stay in constant contact until its resolved. Tekin WILL take care of things...
Old 06-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Not sure why you're upset.

To check the level of the Hotwire simply plug in ONLY the hotwire to the PC, launch the software , hit help, view the version.

On the esc simply plug into it and view "current version". If it attempts to auto update LET IT, it's old enough that it's considered mandatory.
Not sure if you read my first post which was quoted in the post you responded too, but my frustration was with the 3 hours I spent trying to get the Hotwire software to work on my desktop PC. I tried everything but re-installing Windows 7, which I am not going to do. Just frustrated wasting prime driving time messing on the PC.

Anyway, I have it working on my sons laptop and got everything updated to 223. I defaulted the settings, will reload my settings and then recalibrate. I could not see the version because I had to press on advance to view the current version in the side panel.

I would like to get it to work on my desktop PC, but not sure I can. At anyrate thanks for your help. And just glad I can now update all my other Tekin toys...
Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

No, the Rx8 doesn't have an adjustable BEC. What car and servos are you using?
I am running a kyosho mp9 w/ JR9100s servo (but i have run a hotbodies dsj-1ss in it as well..similar specs to the jr)
when you say that it provides 6v 5a....it must be the difference between linear BEC in the esc vs a switching BEC like a external..
because 5v on the external bec feels over twice as strong as the 6v output from the esc BEC.

running airtronics mt-4, rx8, etc..

i just found a LRP 2in1 bec that might work better for my needs..
it seems to get power from the balance plug as opposed to going straight to the main batt leads..seems like in the event of a failure, the chance of full 16.8v going through to all my electronics is minimal since it is using the dinky balance tabs..also has a LVC in it
anyone try this?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Chase1472
randy,
Is it possible to replace the wire on the RX8 my self? it got little damaged and the rx8 started to cut out on me. Im pretty good at soldering just haven't opened up the rx8 to take a look at it. Let me get your opinion. thanks
If you mean servo lead, yes it's possible. Be patient and don't use too hot of a temp setting.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by hefe
I am running a kyosho mp9 w/ JR9100s servo (but i have run a hotbodies dsj-1ss in it as well..similar specs to the jr)
when you say that it provides 6v 5a....it must be the difference between linear BEC in the esc vs a switching BEC like a external..
because 5v on the external bec feels over twice as strong as the 6v output from the esc BEC.

running airtronics mt-4, rx8, etc..

i just found a LRP 2in1 bec that might work better for my needs..
it seems to get power from the balance plug as opposed to going straight to the main batt leads..seems like in the event of a failure, the chance of full 16.8v going through to all my electronics is minimal since it is using the dinky balance tabs..also has a LVC in it
anyone try this?
When using a separate BEC you're eliminating some circuits. Most adjustable BEC's are switching that are on the market. The Rx8 when used on it's own must power the Fan, receiver, servo, motor sensors, and itself. If there's an external fan plugged into the receiver, than that too is powered. If at anytime this circuit is over loaded a brown out can occur. Some servos are more efficient than others, some servos are horribly power hungry.

If you're using the Rx8 in a 2s application and your servo can take HV voltage than use the wiring diagram I posted pages back, it shows you how to bypass the bec for the servo and radio system.

Adding a cap may not be required on your setup but it will do nothing more than help the system out by buffering voltage spikes on the BEC line.

They're cheap and the spektrum is often easy to find: SPM1600
Old 06-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default XO-1 & RX8

Will RX8 able to handle CC 1717 in a XO1?

My stock ESC is dead, and I have a spare RX8.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by niner
Will RX8 able to handle CC 1717 in a XO1?

My stock ESC is dead, and I have a spare RX8.
Yeah, the motor is rated up to 6s, so is the Rx8.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

I'd like you to use the Rx8's sensor checker feature and determine if your sensors are working properly. There's a reason why we have this feature.

If they show good then please do this next. Use the Hotwire and raise your "Min throttle" setting up in incriments of 2 until it no longer buzzes. From the sound of the car something may be sticking or binding in the drive train. This could be verified by removing the pinion and powering the motor to see if the noise is gone.
I used the sensor checker twice. Once 3 months ago and once with the new ESC. All three LEDs were flashing in both cases and both combos were not working properly. I borrowed a Spektrum radio and a sensor from my friend. Replaced the sensor and the problem's gone.

I'm only hoping that Tekin will send me a replacement faster than it was done with the combo.....
Old 06-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm using a rx8 with a pro4 in a desc410r. The negative wire keeps coming loose on the deans any ideas. I've got a good solder , the drive line smooth I'm not sure what the problem is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.