RUN IT OR TRASH IT ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RUN IT OR TRASH IT ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Dont surprise me. If you look close at the center pic you can see where the end of the top cell has been smashed.Can you say internal dead short ??? That is what causes them to go up in flames during discharge...While your running them in your car.The dead short causes heat to build up , the cell swells and then you have combustion!
Old 09-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default nope

Just send it to me and I'll run it and see if it burns down my old car.. Don't dead short it and throw it away without proper (reads some guy like me willing to burn his car to the ground) testing
Old 09-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdapart
Just send it to me and I'll run it and see if it burns down my old car.. Don't dead short it and throw it away without proper (reads some guy like me willing to burn his car to the ground) testing
Old 09-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Geez...LOL...what a bunch of pansies. The Orions won't even catch fire. They may puff up or *maybe* smoke, but they'll self-extinguish. You pay for the good batteries, you get the good features.

If you shorted it, it may have melted the fuse. Some chargers won't work if the voltage isn't in the right range (because the fuse is blown?). It's hard to tells what's up with it from those pictures, but it's not necessarily a goner. You may be able to fix it and use it. Been there, done that a bunch of times.

Like billdpart said...send it to me and I'll fix it. If the cell is dead, it's dead...but you can fix the fuses or even un-puff the bag. If it's got a big crease it it or if it's bent, it's not worth the hassle...take some better pics and bust out a voltmeter and I can try and help you.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default HA

Shh.. Turbo,
How is Lipo supposed to remain a mysterious art if you give all the secrets away?!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by billdapart
Shh.. Turbo,
How is Lipo supposed to remain a mysterious art if you give all the secrets away?!
My bad...I forgot my sworn oath...LOL
Old 09-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Geez...LOL...what a bunch of pansies. The Orions won't even catch fire. They may puff up or *maybe* smoke, but they'll self-extinguish. You pay for the good batteries, you get the good features.
That isn't all the way true as I know a few people that had a few orions go up in flames. But I know one was from slipping when resoldering the pack (not sure about the other one) But yes a li-po fire is rare
Old 09-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Trash it!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

...Some chargers won't work if the voltage isn't in the right range (because the fuse is blown?).
Very good point. Turbo is right. You should do a little more investigating before writing it off. Or send it to someone else who's willing to mess with it.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'd do a little more investigating too - at least check the individual cell voltages and see if the cell is really dead.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by carbon madness
That isn't all the way true as I know a few people that had a few orions go up in flames. But I know one was from slipping when resoldering the pack (not sure about the other one) But yes a li-po fire is rare

That's odd, because last I read, they (Orion) had never had a report of any catching fire. At least that was the case when "Mr. Black" (Lipo dude over there) was posting regularly.

Kokam's cells are a bit different than other cells and they have videos all over the place of them doing all sorts of bad stuff and the cells never go off. That's how they were the first (maybe only...not sure) to get the ATA (AIr Transport Assosiation) exemption, so they can be shipped by air.

They're awesome cells. It IS funny how even with all the "El Cheapo" stuff flooding the market that I've still never seen any lipo cells go off (burn). It got to be that for a while, at least one NiMh cell went off (explode) every time I went to the track.

I live in the middle of pretty much the most hard-core r/c area in the world. There are guys who will pull anything...home of the 10+ amp charge rate for club racing...and I've never seen a Lipo fire ever.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's odd, because last I read, they (Orion) had never had a report of any catching fire. At least that was the case when "Mr. Black" (Lipo dude over there) was posting regularly.

Kokam's cells are a bit different than other cells and they have videos all over the place of them doing all sorts of bad stuff and the cells never go off. That's how they were the first (maybe only...not sure) to get the ATA (AIr Transport Assosiation) exemption, so they can be shipped by air.

They're awesome cells. It IS funny how even with all the "El Cheapo" stuff flooding the market that I've still never seen any lipo cells go off (burn). It got to be that for a while, at least one NiMh cell went off (explode) every time I went to the track.

I live in the middle of pretty much the most hard-core r/c area in the world. There are guys who will pull anything...home of the 10+ amp charge rate for club racing...and I've never seen a Lipo fire ever.
i had one check on fire in my front yard it couldnt take a load took the case off and the battery came undone and blew up
and cought on fire
Old 09-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by porkey
i had one check on fire in my front yard it couldnt take a load took the case off and the battery came undone and blew up
and cought on fire
Huh?

If you're saying what I *think* you're saying...oddly, I'm not really surprised. If there was one Orion that ever "...came undone and blew up and cought on fire", I have no doubt it would be in your front yard.

So was it an Orion?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

...It IS funny how even with all the "El Cheapo" stuff flooding the market that I've still never seen any lipo cells go off (burn). It got to be that for a while, at least one NiMh cell went off (explode) every time I went to the track.

Same here. With all the talk of the danger of Li-Po I too have never seen one go up. I did however see two NiMh cells go off like M-80s this summer. It still kills me that one of the indoor tracks near hear is paranoid about Li-Po, yet doesn't seem to care about exploding NiMh.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Huh?

If you're saying what I *think* you're saying...oddly, I'm not really surprised. If there was one Orion that ever "...came undone and blew up and cought on fire", I have no doubt it would be in your front yard.

So was it an Orion?
when i was at the track i go to the battery seem like it drop a cell i didnt use it when i got home i was in my front yard and when i was charging it , it got really hot so i called orion and they said try to take the case off and see if the cells are still still to gather so i did so and when i was
taking it a part (the case) i heard a spark sound and i threw it and then
it cough on fire i didnt really care i did call them and let them know
and they said to send it in but i threw it away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.