Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR4-BC Super Dogfighter 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by sosidge
Darkseid - check out my site for both a manual and a parts list.
I just came from there and got the manual and parts list. Big ups to you for having such a sweet and useful site.

So the stock gearing for the buggy is 84/20..... And I was worried that I might be gearing my 19t motor wrong at 84/18. Guess I'm in the clear. Funny thing though, mine has a 84t spur on it, but the previous owner had to cut out a slot under the spur so that it would have enough room. Wonder why? I haven't had time to pull it apart yet, so I'm not sure whats all going on in there, but I'll find out soon.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:59 AM

not sure about the older cars, but the dogfighter has a valley molded into the chassis for clearance of the spur gear, yokomo spurs are narrower then other spurs (kimbrough) and you will need to shave or wided the valley just a hair for the other spurs to not touch.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:04 AM
Regional Moderator

I don't think its a width issue though. This spur nearly sits level with the bottom of the chassis. So to run it, it is neccesary to have the hole there in the chassis. I just don't know why its so big. The spur has 84T molded on it, so I don't know. The car does have what looks like the old MX-4 slipper clutch on it, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Like I said, I'll figure it out when I pull the car apart.

Just a little straped for time right now, so I can't do it yet.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Regional Moderator

Okay, here are some pics of the pulley and slipper clutch on my MR4BC. This is a pretty cool unit. I like it.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR4-BC Super Dogfighter 2-pulley-slipper.jpg  
Old 01-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Regional Moderator

Another view...
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR4-BC Super Dogfighter 2-pulley-slipper-side.jpg  
Old 01-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Regional Moderator

different view...
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR4-BC Super Dogfighter 2-pulley-slipper-side_2.jpg  
Old 01-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Regional Moderator

And finally, a look at the spur gear that is used with the slipper clutch. This one is a little worn, so I will be wanting to get another one. Anybody know where I might find the part number for these type of gears? This one is 84T and since it is a special spur, I assume that it, like the slipper clutch, came from the MX-4 buggy.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR4-BC Super Dogfighter 2-special-spur.jpg  
Old 01-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Tech Adept

don't have a part number, the new dogfighter doesn't use a slipper. you can probably go to the yokomousa site and email tech support for numbers. or just order a new center piece and get rid of the slipper
Old 01-19-2004, 02:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the part number is ZMS84 - the MX4 came with a hole in the chassis to give the spur a bit of clearance, keep a close eye on that drive pulley its made of soft metal and when it wears it will get sharp and your rear belt will get shredded in no time....
Old 01-19-2004, 07:09 AM
Regional Moderator

goodez: thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. Oh, and thanks for the warning about the pulley. I'll keep an eye on it.

vanguard: I'd like to keep the slipper. Personally, I don't know why Yokomo wouldn't want their new 4wd not to have it. Considering Losi's buggy has one, and Schumacher and Yokomo keep getting the butts kicked by them in this class, I think both Yokomo and Schumacher need to seriously look at how they design their 4wd cars.

I mean, every other off-road car "needs" a slipper, so why do Yokomo and Schumacher feel that their 4wd buggies don't?
Old 01-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Darkseid
goodez: thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. Oh, and thanks for the warning about the pulley. I'll keep an eye on it.

vanguard: I'd like to keep the slipper. Personally, I don't know why Yokomo wouldn't want their new 4wd not to have it. Considering Losi's buggy has one, and Schumacher and Yokomo keep getting the butts kicked by them in this class, I think both Yokomo and Schumacher need to seriously look at how they design their 4wd cars.

I mean, every other off-road car "needs" a slipper, so why do Yokomo and Schumacher feel that their 4wd buggies don't?
Most of the driver take out the slipper. When i have my XX-4 we took out the slipper.

I know MO would know why you take it out.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:34 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The reason the car doesn't come with a slipper is because most of the time you don't need it. Just look at the XX4, factory drivers rarely ran the slipper and it was the best 4wd for a really long time. The main reason for a slipper on a 4wd car is to keep the drivetrain from ripping itself apart or maybe if you run on a REALLY slick surface. Cars like the MR4BC and the XXX-4 were developed from touring cars so the drivetrains were not made to absorb the shock of landing from a 4 foot drop with all 4 wheels spinning full throttle.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah I had a slipper as a option part for my schumacher cat 3000 and ended up taking it out. Its never been an issue and my tracks can get pretty slippery at times.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Regional Moderator

So I guess the question I'm wondering about is, why doesn't drivetrain damage occur without the slipper?

In any case, its definitely something to consider. That would free up my options as far as what gears I could use.(after I would buy the proper center pulley of course)

For right now though, I'll leave it on there.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:56 PM

when i first got the yok i was using a robinson pinion and for some reason the yok spur didn't like it, it was noisey, and i hate noisey. i tried to fit a kimbough spur but i rubbed slightly, so i installed a old, but never used kawada 64p spur, it was quiet and smooth and would probably still be in the car if i wasn't rushed for time on a motor rebuild and messed up the mesh. i found a lhs with a yok spur and installed that and used a losi (sorry) pinion and it was smooth and quiet. if you think about for a while, other then jumps, carpet with foams and a mod motor should be harder on the drivetrain then spinning tires on dirt. esp when you tag corner dots and pipes. at least i think so maybe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.