Wiki Posts
Search

Is the hobby really going down?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Is the hobby really going down?

In all the forums, there seems to be lots of conversation about lipo vs. nimh, brushless vs. brushed, 4-5-6 cell, etc. in almost every single one of these threads, people say that doing this or that will "save" the hobby.

but, Is the hobby really going down? is it really in a crisis? are less and less showing up to race? really?

at my track, there is racing from noon to 6 pm, with 5min qualifiers and mains, it seems very alive. is my track an exception? are numbers really depleting in other tracks, or are we making these things up?

what is really going on around the states? and is arguing about regulations really going to help?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Pointlessly complaining and arguing never helps. Action is all that counts. Participation at your local track is the best thing you can do. Actually, second best. The best thing is to tell everybody what a challenging, rewarding and FUN sport you are involved in.
I believe that we (racers and track operators) are on our own. The manufacturers don't support us. They will happily spend millions on glossy magazine ads, but don't seem to even acknowledge that the tracks in our communities exist. I don't understand why it is so insular. If I was marketing a race oriented manufacturer I would be pushing the facilities that hold club races week in and week out, and helping to develop the sport and the racers. Especially the NEW racers.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:43 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have raced at Socal for only about 2 years. According to the guys who used to races 4-5 years ago, they would have 10-15 full heats every club night (5 nights a week). So assuming 8 people per heat, 12 heats, 5 nights a week, thats 480 entries every week.

We are not down to 2 days a week, and averaging 5-6 heats of 5-7 guys. Thats only like 72 entries a week...a far fall. Now I know that Socal isn't the only track around, but even in the JBRL which has grown every year up to now, the entries are down a little this year.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have only been in the hobby about a year now and if the numbers at my track are any induction then something HAS to be done!!! We struggle to get enough to run 4 classes on Saturday night with 3 to 8 guys per class and enough to run 2 classes with 3 guys per class on Wednesday nights. If something isn't done to get more races more will quit because races get canceled due to lack of interest...
Old 08-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well..tack this onto the thousand other 'the sky is falling' threads on this forum (which might be reasonably true).

from my perspective, the biggest changes i've seen aren't the lack of new people showing up to the track (RTR's have been GREAT in this area) so much as the number of new racers RETURNING to the track.

another thing going on within the hobby is a consolidation of companies and advancement in technology. local matchers and motor tuners are beginning to get fazed out as they do not seem to be adapting to this 'new' technology. it's only a matter of time until we start seeing balanced/matched lithium packs and people realize that what they're buying today is essentially 'sport packs'. i also won't be suprised when novak, or the like, becomes an OEM and we see local tuners winding brushless. i think this would be great as local vendors tend to support local economies.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mfishel
Pointlessly complaining and arguing never helps. Action is all that counts. Participation at your local track is the best thing you can do. Actually, second best. The best thing is to tell everybody what a challenging, rewarding and FUN sport you are involved in.
I believe that we (racers and track operators) are on our own. The manufacturers don't support us. They will happily spend millions on glossy magazine ads, but don't seem to even acknowledge that the tracks in our communities exist. I don't understand why it is so insular. If I was marketing a race oriented manufacturer I would be pushing the facilities that hold club races week in and week out, and helping to develop the sport and the racers. Especially the NEW racers.

You hit the nail on the head. We all need to be proactive. Its really hard to get new people involved. A long time friend of mine came and saw some TC racing on carpet racing last year for the first time, and was very inpressed with what he saw. Then comes the ?'s about, how much is this and how much is that. Thats hard to answer when someone new is real serious to get involved. Then when they start to add things up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Boom $1200 worth of equipment sitting there. WTF my friend said, and has never asked about it again. I told him about the ready to run aspect, but he wasnt clear as to why I wasnt using that stuff. My point is the manufacturers need to pay thier drivers less and lower the prices so the masses can enjoy it also. Sorry to ramble and get a little of subject, but your post inspired me
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've raced off and on for the last 18 years and my favorite time period was the mid nineties. It was electric offroads bloated phase. All of us electric offroad junkies harken back to those days in solemn reverence. I drool just thinking about them. Excess at its best and no one really complained. Too bad our expensive flashlights finally priced out the kids like us who bought the original RC10's several years earlier. Those kids smelled the nitro fumes and they liked it!

Even though turnouts and fresh blood is hard to come by these days, I sense a revival in the making. 1/10 tc guys switching to offroad, the 1/8 electric phenomenom, and 1/10 BL+Lipo is breathing new life into the electric. I know it got me back into the hobby after a 4 year hiatus.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

theres a local track here in hutchinson that started about 3 years ago. 1st year had hype and did have a good amount of people for intrest. they did do some racing and it was going good. this year, they have had one "get together" race and i think i had one r/c pull (idk, i wasn't there). personaly, the more tracks the worse. theres about three other tracks around hutchinson within hour/2 hour drive and they've been going good. problem is is the track here is really trying not to disturb the racing schedule of the other race tracks. plus they have a big track that requires at least 5-6 marshalls. Also not having the track done in time by the minnesota nitro series killed the intrest. do i think the hobby is dying? yes and no. there will still be people bashing/racing but the more tracks that come up around the area the worse.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well I think more like the Rc market is headed to gas. Mainly the RTR kits seem to be popular these days. I think electric might be dying a bit. Maybe that is just me talkin.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXCRRacer
Well I think more like the Rc market is headed to gas. Mainly the RTR kits seem to be popular these days. I think electric might be dying a bit. Maybe that is just me talkin.
I also think elec is dieing....

I just hope RC racing makes a come back, or more people at club races...Thats all I want
Old 08-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
I also think elec is dieing....

I just hope RC racing makes a come back, or more people at club races...Thats all I want
I don't think electric is dieing at all, look at all the new technology there coming out with.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you know what...maybe if the tracks would do some minor local advertizing that would help so much.maybe at local schools,hobby shops(have a map with directions).i had to dig all through the internet to find a local track....and i drove by it for years!never knew it was there.making some flyers isnt expensive and paying someone 100$to pass them out around local schools doesnt hurt.have some any car races with no restrictions on what car you have.(i.e. someone having a pan car and a tc3,xray traxxas,brushed and brushless, etc...)so anyone who is already into rc or wants to get into it doesnt have to worry about specifics.just a thought for you all.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by socalbomber
you know what...maybe if the tracks would do some minor local advertizing that would help so much.maybe at local schools,hobby shops(have a map with directions).i had to dig all through the internet to find a local track....and i drove by it for years!never knew it was there.making some flyers isnt expensive and paying someone 100$to pass them out around local schools doesnt hurt.have some any car races with no restrictions on what car you have.(i.e. someone having a pan car and a tc3,xray traxxas,brushed and brushless, etc...)so anyone who is already into rc or wants to get into it doesnt have to worry about specifics.just a thought for you all.
Thats a good idea but the "margin of profit" is already low enough at most LHS/tracks, do you think they could afford it?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

you know what its cheaper than not having a track period.look if people dont want to loose there local spot,they/we should pitch in to help keep it alive and to keep it going.im sure some of us have kids,give some flyers to them.we need to make our local tracks something the whole community knows and would want to go to.tracks should have kids day where kids can come to the track and run there toys r us rc stuff.at the same time we come and race our stuff,next thing you know it by the time some of them turn 15,16,theyll want something better and come to the track...and the cycle goes on.iyts really not that expensive for a track owner to make about 500 flyers,go to a local school and pass them out,or the mall,or the hobbyshops.spread the word!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Tech Adept

forgot to add this:by calling it a "club"it feels like people on the outside need a membership or whatever.they automaticaly feel excluded and feel like its something private.call it our community or something.that might help too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.