Wiki Posts
Search

Is the hobby really going down?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb
I was fair with my pricing, At Tower Hobbies the Novak GTB is $244, at Maxamps the 8000mah lipo is $140, and thats internet prices. At the trackI goto, another new racer was recently sold a RTR AE T4 with 2 3800mah batteries and a peak charger, and double "a" batteries for the radio for $380.

That still beats your $380 dollar Losi Brushless, $80 dollar battery, and $40 charger.

$380 or your $500 package? Which one do you think is going to save the hobby?
Definitely the $380 package will help the hobby for sure, I am not disputing that at all. I am just saying that brushless and lipo for 10 minute or more racing aren't as expensive as some people think. Novak is helping out the budgeted racer by releasing the cheaper brushless XBR systems. LIPOs from maxamps are as cheap as nimh too. One of the nicest lipo chargers I have seen, the cellpro is only $75 or scorpion for $70. Or get the orion or duratrax chargers.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Yeah talk about over inflating. You dont need a Turbo 35. You can use a pulsar 2 or orion advantage, or even an ICE
Old 08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JLock
The hobby is going through one of its low ebbs on the economic cycle. With the price of gas affecting consumer prices of other goods, this is to be expected. Many people out there have less in the disposable income pocket to spend on this "luxury". Then there is the attitudes of the new people coming in which is if I can't win right now (instant gratification), I am going to do something else (the way most in today's society are). Also, most tracks are outdoors and with the heat of the summer months, many choose to sit in the A/C and play their PS3, X-Box 360, etc. There are many other issues causing the decline but like anything else, the up-turn will happen when people have more realized disposable income.
Good post and I agree! Gasoline prices affect everything!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcdude19641
Yeah talk about over inflating. You dont need a Turbo 35. You can use a pulsar 2 or orion advantage, or even an ICE
Tell that to the guys who bought the RTRs who sees the local Pros blowing they're doors off has at least 2 Turbo 35s on the pit table, a comm cutter and the battery cooling tray. I have seen it myself.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I was fair with my pricing, At Tower Hobbies the Novak GTB is $244, at Maxamps the 8000mah lipo is $140, and thats internet prices. At the trackI goto, another new racer was recently sold a RTR AE T4 with 2 3800mah batteries and a peak charger, and double "a" batteries for the radio for $380.

That still beats your $380 dollar Losi Brushless, $80 dollar battery, and $40 charger.

$380 or your $500 package? Which one do you think is going to save the hobby?
Did that package also include a lathe, equalizer, discharger, etc,etc,etc? Sure $380 now but for how many runs before they find out their batteries won't hold up for long without some TLC in the form of time and $$$. Same with the motor - how many runs until it needs a cut? I bet that track didn't necessarily explain all those pesky details as they get guaranteed add on sales down the line...
Old 08-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Craps
Tell that to the guys who bought the RTRs who sees the local Pros blowing they're doors off has at least 2 Turbo 35s on the pit table, a comm cutter and the battery cooling tray. I have seen it myself.
Last night at a club race a kid went into the store and bought an RTR B4 and went and won rookie stock with it. No turbo 35 no lathe, not battery tray.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Last night at a club race a kid went into the store and bought an RTR B4 and went and won rookie stock with it. No turbo 35 no lathe, not battery tray.
And how long is that going to last? How many more runs before his batteries and motor suffer due to lack of maintenance equipment? Is the store providing this service for free as he is going to need it if he intends to keep winning rookie stock. In the extremely short term this is more economical but boy will it add up later.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Not comparing apples for apples after that kid wins the Rookie class a few more times he will have to move up where the Turbo 35s are at!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

I can beat alot of the fast guys in my area with my old Ib3800's that I purchased for $30 each (a couple years ago, yup still using them), with one Duratrax Ice charger/discharger, and have a comm cut once a month at the shop for $5. I don't know who in the hell gave you any idea that you need all the crap and expense to race, win, and have fun, but they were wrong, and so are you.

Stop outright lying to people about how expensive rc racing is. It dosen't have to be as expensive as you amatuers portray it to be. Perhaps if you had practiced more and had been more successful when you tryed Nimh or Nicd batteries, you wouldn't be so quick to blame them for your lack of success.

You know whats funny, had you walked over to the pit tables of actual pro racers such as Ryan Maifield and other winning associated drivers, you would have seen simple LRP and Reedy Chargers.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I can beat alot of the fast guys in my area with my old Ib3800's that I purchased for $30 each (a couple years ago, yup still using them), with one Duratrax Ice charger/discharger, and have a comm cut once a month at the shop for $5. I don't know who in the hell gave you any idea that you need all the crap and expense to race, win, and have fun, but they were wrong, and so are you.

Stop outright lying to people about how expensive rc racing is. It dosen't have to be as expensive as you amatuers portray it to be. Perhaps if you had practiced more and had been more successful when you tryed Nimh or Nicd batteries, you wouldn't be so quick to blame them for your lack of success.

You know whats funny, had you walked over to the pit tables of actual pro racers such as Ryan Maifield and other winning associated drivers, you would have seen simple LRP and Reedy Chargers.

Agreed!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craps
Not comparing apples for apples after that kid wins the Rookie class a few more times he will have to move up where the Turbo 35s are at!
Whats with you and Turbo 35s? I know of ONE person who owns one and he owns a battery company.

Get off it already.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Scrubb, Your right about NOT having to have all this "Great" stuff & high dollar chargers.The new brushed motors are fine & running 4200's have dood run times & punch. At the Florida State Off-road Series we run the Mod classes 6 min's. & the racing is close, Ruona & Eckert are the lead guys(In mod) & for good reason....They have talent, not better equipment. Also you can bet when lipo's are o.k.ed the vodoo will begin. It's already happening
with the brushless motors as with rotors and such.
Donnie Jackson
Old 08-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Another nickel battery brushed motor diehard that sees the writing on the wall!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

I don't really recall insulting you anywhere. I don't think calling people liars, amateurs and failures at racing is called for when people are simply disagreeing with you.

Good for you that you are still winning with old batteries however it seems a good portion of NiMH users and most if not all lipo users disagree with your assessment of equipment needed to keep NiMH batteries running well. Maybe your local fast guys aren't quite as fast as other people's local fast guys.

You posted up a cheap kit idea to save RC. Most other racers think they require more than you obviously on the motor and battery maintenance equipment. We gave examples of why we felt you were lowballing that price. We are not wrong simply because we disagree with you.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Craps, your so ignorant, I run brushed and brushless, I had the 8000mah lipo and sold it off to a freind already. I'll race whatever is legal - because I am a racer. I've been racing electric off-road for 23 years, I really don't care if Lipo is made legal to race, I'll race it, just like I've raced with all the previous batteries. I'll be successful with the Lipo's too because I still enjoy playing with R/C cars after all this time.

Your just another RCTech complainer that will need to find something new to complain about when Lipo is made legal. Common, Craps, tell us whats on your agenda next?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.