Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the hobby really going down?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It may not be needed but that is the perception many have.

I run Lipo and BL. Very happy. It has allowed me to focus more on driving and setting up the car. The low overall cost of BL and Lipo I think will help the electric racing world.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rfury
Thats what needs to be changed to make the hobby grow.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kuzo
I don't really recall insulting you anywhere. I don't think calling people liars, amateurs and failures at racing is called for when people are simply disagreeing with you.

Good for you that you are still winning with old batteries however it seems a good portion of NiMH users and most if not all lipo users disagree with your assessment of equipment needed to keep NiMH batteries running well. Maybe your local fast guys aren't quite as fast as other people's local fast guys.

You posted up a cheap kit idea to save RC. Most other racers think they require more than you obviously on the motor and battery maintenance equipment. We gave examples of why we felt you were lowballing that price. We are not wrong simply because we disagree with you.
Well said!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb
Craps, your so ignorant, I run brushed and brushless, I had the 8000mah lipo and sold it off to a freind already. I'll race whatever is legal - because I am a racer. I've been racing electric off-road for 23 years, I really don't care if Lipo is made legal to race, I'll race it, just like I've raced with all the previous batteries. I'll be successful with the Lipo's too because I still enjoy playing with R/C cars after all this time.

Your just another RCTech complainer that will need to find something new to complain about when Lipo is made legal. Common, Craps, tell us whats on your agenda next?
From what I've gathered, Craps seems to be really involved in the concept of long offroad mains. That may be what he perceives will help racing become more popular. In my book that's not a rctech complainer as at least he's DOING SOMETHING about it. I don't even agree with him on his take on lipo safety but I do respect what he is doing.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rfury

I run Lipo and BL. Very happy. It has allowed me to focus more on driving and setting up the car. The low overall cost of BL and Lipo I think will help the electric racing world.
Well said!!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm glad to see brushless motors and Lithium-Ion batteries coming to the mainstream. It will make what was already a much simpler class to run than gas even easier.

I speak from experience, too. I ran electric off-road for 18 years before being forced into running gas off-road last year if I wanted to keep racing. While gas is fun in its ways, it's murderously expensive and requires WAY more time to keep maintained than an electric car. I feel bad for first time RC car owners who have chosen the gas route. It's freakin hard to do!

Brushless and Li-Ion should be a very good way to bring novices into the sport even easier than in the past with brushed motors and NiMH batteries. I think you'll start seeing some gas heads going back to electric as well in the not-too-distant future.

There needs to be some direction (and agreement) from ROAR, RC Pro Series and the local tracks as to what technologies will be allowed and in what classes so that people have a framework for making their equipment and racing choices, but once that's in place, I think you'll see a (slow) re-birth of electric.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kuzo
From what I've gathered, Craps seems to be really involved in the concept of long offroad mains. That may be what he perceives will help racing become more popular. In my book that's not a rctech complainer as at least he's DOING SOMETHING about it. I don't even agree with him on his take on lipo safety but I do respect what he is doing.
Thank you! Scrubb would rather resort to name calling than offer a solution. Not to respectable if you asked me!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

portraying brushed motor and Nimh racing to be more expensive and more work than they are is lying , Craps, and thats not respectable either. I guess we have something in common after all.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

portraying brushed motor and Nimh racing to be more expensive and more work than they are is lying , Craps, and thats not respectable either. I guess we have something in common after all.
Making personal attacks, name calling and calling somebody a liar not only makes your post not very creditable, it is breaking the rules of this forum!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i run with a 40 dollar duratrax charger and i beat people who use a turbo 30-35...i have my own lathe i use once every 3 months or so lol (i run more nitro) but if a new racer needs a com cut ill be darned if i leave them hang. really EERKS me when i see guys with 4 grand worth of equipment and they brush off people who are new or need help. if you REALLY enjoy racing you give back to it by helping others. telling someone they bought or have the wrong stuff isnt helping unless they have the funds to do what you say. personally im all for people getting into the hobby for as little as possible then seeing if they like it or not! nothing is worse than someone spending a grand only to find out that they dont like it or that they spent twice as much to be in the same place they would have been going the cheaper route.i might recomend a "race" type of car but just because they dont have it doesnt mean i wont help
Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hawk6
I'm not really sure KIDS should be the target market. $500 cost of entry minimum (vehicle, radio, charger, batteries,..), and the need to travel to race, and the need to tinker and repair. I don't think this is a kids' hobby. (By the way, my 12 year old son and I are in this hobby together, but if I wasn't interested, he sure wouldn't be allowed to spend my money and time on it the way we do).

Maybe instead of having demonstrations at shopping malls, we all have demonstrations at the local (full size) dirt track, or the local car show, Jeep rally, etc.
Way to be there for your kid. I believe this is a great sport for kids. 'tinker and repair'=valuable lessons learned and skills acquired.
A lot of comments coming up about cost. I'm pretty sure that any organized sport a kid might get into is going to cost a lot of money. Not to mention a lot of time. But the perception there is that the kid is actually getting something out of it. So the problem is still the common belief that we're 'playing with toys'. And apparently it is held by people actually involved in the sport.
I quit racing R/C competitively in '95, and raced karts for a number of years. All the lessons I learned in R/C were directly applicable to karting. And I'm sure they would be to any other motor sport.
I believe that if people recognized R/C as a legitimate motor sport they would then realize that it is a relatively cheap and effective way to find out if their kid has what it takes, wether or not they might have the next Schumacher on their hands.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hawk6
I'm not really sure KIDS should be the target market. $500 cost of entry minimum (vehicle, radio, charger, batteries,..), and the need to travel to race, and the need to tinker and repair. I don't think this is a kids' hobby. (By the way, my 12 year old son and I are in this hobby together, but if I wasn't interested, he sure wouldn't be allowed to spend my money and time on it the way we do).
I don't agree. When electric was it its peak in my area (89 - 92), tracks didn't have enough pit spaces for all the drivers and many of them were kids, including me. Sure, there were plenty of "big boys" with their HI-IQ's and $5,000 set-ups, but they only constituted half of the racers. I started out with a $350 combo package, which included an RC10, crappy radio, crappy charger, and one crappy battery. Just to be able to race, I spent almost all of my lawn mowing money on RC because my parents didn't financially support my racing addiction. It was frustrating at times, but I was proud that I was doing it on my own.

With today's technology, it's even cheaper to get into racing if you adjust for inflation and it's even cheaper to continue racing than it was back in the sub c/brushed days. My advice to all the kids starting out is to buy used and upgrade your gear piece by piece. There's lots of good used gear out there at great prices. Don't feel like you can't have fun without having a $2,000 set-up. It just isn't true.

Kids these days don't have as much of an attention span and they tend to get interested in things that give them instant gratification. There's no easy answer to get kids back into racing, but if/when they come back, that will be a sign that the hobby is doing something right.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Wait, are you actually saying that racing with brushed motors and NiMH cells is cheaper than brushless and LiPo?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Craps
Making personal attacks, name calling and calling somebody a liar not only makes your post not very creditable, it is breaking the rules of this forum!
Perhaps the rules of RCTech need to be changed to suit my needs just like you feel the ROAR's rules need to be changed to suit yours.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Wait, are you actually saying that racing with brushed motors and NiMH cells is cheaper than brushless and LiPo?
Yeah, It can be, as long as you don't fall for the hype, misconceptions, lies, and false advertising.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.