Wiki Posts
Search

5 Cells, the time is now!! Or atleast by 2008

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh H
I'm sure that turnout had nothing to do with people having to spend a grand on tires

vegas has 450 entries.....no lipo

snowbirds has 6 or 700 entries.....no lipo

Cleveland sells out ....no lipo

novak race sells out.....no lipo

Your right looks like people stopped going to big races
I suppose it is just coincidence that none of the above listed races are ROAR races either......

Last edited by Advil; 08-09-2007 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by SkarTisu
It's about $250 for 7 sets of tires for that race, assuming one set of tires each run.

Notice how all those races you list are carpet races? What about off-road?
Well Marshal I talked to Billy Easton, Chad Due and Brandon Rohde..........they all said a grand in tires......3 classes??

As far as off road races i'm sure you know from your situation that alot of offroad racers have been running 1/8 scale....now when these people get sick of spending a boatload of money they will return to ep offroad.

Electric offroad will be back......but I know it didn't fall off because lipo was not allowed. It was on the down swing before lipo was an option.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Advil
I suppose it is just coincidence that none of the above listed races are ROAR races either......
The carpet nats in MI had a very good turnout
Old 08-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Off-road, the Shoot-Out this year, about 350 entries, no Lipo.

The JBRL series races in California, once a month, one day

Sunday race, average is about 200, no Lipo. 95% club racers

in this series.

The Cactus Classic, I'm not sure, but I don't think Lipo,

and it had about 350 entries.

Off-Road is making a big comeback without Lipo! Gil Jr. going to Kyosho

makes a difference, Kyosho kits % wise is up.

On-Road and 1/8 scale guys tired of the big $$$

coming into Off-Road.

Judi
Old 08-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I'm sure that turnout had nothing to do with people having to spend a grand on tires

vegas has 450 entries.....no lipo

snowbirds has 6 or 700 entries.....no lipo

Cleveland sells out ....no lipo

novak race sells out.....no lipo

Your right looks like people stopped going to big races
Not relevant, those are all on-road races. We're talking primarily offroad here. Remember that number of entries is not number of people too. Many are running 3+ classes. How many entries at the various regional championships?If you figure that into the participation of Nats this year then the picture looks even worse.

How in the world could anybody burn through $1k in tires at any off road race? That's pretty much impossible...

I still don't get where 1/8 gets the repuation for being so expensive, as long as you don't feel the need to have a $400 engine the costs are minimal after you buy in with the necessary gear.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well Marshal I talked to Billy Easton, Chad Due and Brandon Rohde..........they all said a grand in tires......3 classes??
A fair point, except that it's rare be forced to run tires only once per run in EP off-road in my experience.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:14 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I don't think big race attendance is an issue though...

If you think about the Cactus and Shootout, over half the entries were running the 3 Mod classes, mostly Pro Drivers. They don't pay the bills and don't club race much. I think club racing attendance is much more important. Without club racing, tracks can't stay open and eventually we won't have anywhere to race at all....
Old 08-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Having run two seasons of 1/8th scale now, I can say that even without buying modded engines and bling parts, the class is extremely expensive to run. Cheap engines make a lot of power, which is hard on the complex drivetrain and $45 sets of tires. If you're running an 8ight and don't know what you're doing with radio setup, add regular $30-60 repair bills for fried servos.

It's sort of like hell. Just not quite as hot.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
Not relevant, those are all on-road races. We're talking primarily offroad here. Remember that number of entries is not number of people too. Many are running 3+ classes. How many entries at the various regional championships?If you figure that into the participation of Nats this year then the picture looks even worse.

How in the world could anybody burn through $1k in tires at any off road race? That's pretty much impossible...

I still don't get where 1/8 gets the repuation for being so expensive, as long as you don't feel the need to have a $400 engine the costs are minimal after you buy in with the necessary gear.

Take a lok at the examples that Banzaimom posted= offroad

Just for the record my examples are relevent....we are talking batteries.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Relevant is a stronger word than I should've used, and you're right, the fact that those on-road races still draw like that despite batteries being MUCH more important to competitiveness is a very valid point. I still can't see how anyone wouldn't want to see LiPo or like technologies become the standard (regardless of voltage). It is so much more consistent in terms of performance that battery ware would all but go away. How can that be a bad thing?

1/8th is pretty easy on tires where I race so I guess I don't have it as bad as other areas.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Nobody is arguing the importance of club racing, Root.

We have been supporters and pushing club racing for

over 15 yrs.

The question was asked about Off-Road, and I answered it!

Judi
Old 08-09-2007, 03:45 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

My response wasn't towards you Judi, sorry if I wasn't clear enough

I was just pointing out that all these "HUGE" races are doing well, so more of them pop-up and do well. But people like me end up going to 12-15 races a year, and then the Babcock Series. I only end up with time to club race maybe twice a month. I know I am not everyone, but it seems to be happening alot.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Somebody needs to start another thread about club

racing so this one doesn't end up way off topic.

But if you're attending 12-15 big races and can only

club race 2 times a month, then you just answered YOUR

own thought about tracks not making it!!

We have an R/C business, and we make it a CHOICE to only

attend 2 big races a year. The Cactus and The Shoot-Out.

(Because it's local and we've known Jimmy for 100 yrs. )

The rest of the time we spend at the track on Saturdays and

Sundays. Maybe some of the sponsored guys need to talk to

their sponsors about spending more time locally. Especially now

that the Factory teams are being, shall we say, thinned out!

Judi
Old 08-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mfishel
You might say planetrcraceway=mfishel
I wasn't advocating rule changes. I believe if you read my response I said come to my track and run what you want. I'm advocating a change of who and how rules get changed. No manufacturers advocates, but RACING advocates.
I never thought I'd say I want to visit Indiana but now I want to visit your track. Was just looking through the site and love the track. To top it off I agree with everything you said about committee rule...
Old 08-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i know this is a side note, but david, with all due respect (they guy is a buddy of mine)...what planet are you on?????

i have raced carpet sedan, foam and rubber, 12th scale, stock and 19 turn,in the day, carpet oval and clay oval and obviously mod buggy...and aside from travel, 1\8 scale is a tone more cash......monroe and the nitro farm are tire eaters,(love the tracks dont get me wrong)the tires are (hobbyshop prices) 23 bucks a pair plus inserts and rims, and the fuel is 30 bucks a gallon....theyn with all the ware items, wow......mucho dollero......

now back to our other conversation

our area (Madison Wisconsin) has a high concentration of lipo, once you go to our adjacent tracks it drops off considerably, dirt heaven, not many, trackside, next to none, leisure non....they are illegal....trackside and rcp alow them, i am not sure on dirt heaven..

i am not sure but i am pretty sure josh is correct on the tire cost at the big offroad races ...the run the tires one time....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.