Wiki Posts
Search

5 Cells, the time is now!! Or atleast by 2008

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattnin
Hey mr Tripthreat. Why not read the majority of the posts here. Don't you dare try to influence ROAR to better suit your needs. The majority here want LIPO, not a step back from 6 cell nimh to 5 cell nimh.

LIPO and BL is the future here. I am not going to ditch all my LIPO equipment to get back to running 5 or 6 cell nimh dinosaur batteries. The future is in lithium batteries.

I don't know anyone at our track running 5 cell nimh. In fact, we are now running 10 minute mains with lipos and bl, and we are possibly going to go 15 minutes next year, and there is talk of going 20 minutes after that. Now that sounds fun, not your crap 5 cell idea with poor runtime and slow speeds. This is a good club too, indoors and hosts the Western Slope Challenge.

If you want to go slower, then use a milder motor. Don't be pushing your crap 5 cell rule on me.

And you believe it is so easy to adjust lithium batteries for 3V when it is a voltage inherent in the chemistry used. Some lithium batteries are around 3V, LI-FE-PO4, but they are more proprietary right now.
Wow easy there, Frank's proposition was for the good, not for the bad. The last thing anyone needs is someone like you going off because hes trying to actually help the hobby.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_King
Wow easy there, Frank's proposition was for the good, not for the bad. The last thing anyone needs is someone like you going off because hes trying to actually help the hobby.
Franks proposition for the good of the hobby is a matter of opinion, and one which is in the minority.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Hey mr Tripthreat. Why not read the majority of the posts here. Don't you dare try to influence ROAR to better suit your needs. The majority here want LIPO, not a step back from 6 cell nimh to 5 cell nimh.

LIPO and BL is the future here. I am not going to ditch all my LIPO equipment to get back to running 5 or 6 cell nimh dinosaur batteries. The future is in lithium batteries.

I don't know anyone at our track running 5 cell nimh. In fact, we are now running 10 minute mains with lipos and bl, and we are possibly going to go 15 minutes next year, and there is talk of going 20 minutes after that. Now that sounds fun, not your crap 5 cell idea with poor runtime and slow speeds. This is a good club too, indoors and hosts the Western Slope Challenge.

If you want to go slower, then use a milder motor. Don't be pushing your crap 5 cell rule on me.

And you believe it is so easy to adjust lithium batteries for 3V when it is a voltage inherent in the chemistry used. Some lithium batteries are around 3V, LI-FE-PO4, but they are more proprietary right now.

So your telling him that his opinions wrong and to stop "pushing" it on you yet you force your opinion on him and everyone else. Not to mention completely bashing his opinion. Quite hypocritical if you ask me. And some tracks aren't as fortunate to have everybody run BL/LiPo which means they can't go to 15 min mains.

And his proposition seems to be working quite well in mod TC.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kuzo
Here's a thought, a lot of 5 cell drivers say they run faster lap times. Lipo tends to run at a disadvantage voltage-wise to good 6 cell packs until you get to mod. Everyone says electric needs drastic change to survive. How's this for drastic - mix them all.

6 cell drivers can't complain as they clearly feel they'd have the advantage over both the others.
5 cell drivers claim they run faster so what can they complain about? Give them a chance to prove it in mixed racing.
Lipo users will be just as happy to be allowed to run.

Win-Win?
Mix them all is good. I like what they did with the 20 minute LiPo BL truck class at the ROAR nats. You could run any Lipo pack with any capacity and any voltage and you could run any BL motor. As long as the truck was within the chassis rules (weight, diemnsions etc.) it was legal. This freedom is exciting for the participants and creates many equipment options.

I just hope that ROAR maintains this freedom and does not impose too many restrictions or create stock and 19 turn versions of the class.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdude19641
So your telling him that his opinions wrong and to stop "pushing" it on you yet you force your opinion on him and everyone else. Not to mention completely bashing his opinion. Quite hypocritical if you ask me. And some tracks aren't as fortunate to have everybody run BL/LiPo which means they can't go to 15 min mains.

And his proposition seems to be working quite well in mod TC.
I am not saying his opinion is wrong. I am saying his opinion is his own, and not the majority.

That is funny that you say I am forcing my opinion when in reality Frank is trying to force EVERYONE by going to ROAR with his 5 cell idea.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I don't think 1/8 scale will ever see a decline. Its here to stay.

I don't understand why so many refuse to race unless all the rules are to their liking. I would rather race 5 cell nimh stock than sit at home and look at my lipo bl motored car on the shelf.

If thats what came down from ROAR/IFMAR or my local club, I would give it a chance.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Franks proposition for the good of the hobby is a matter of opinion, and one which is in the minority.

Actually hes opinion is one of unification and a solid foundation throughout the hobby. He even conceded lipos would work on a certain arena of functionality. I happen to agree with him, however there needs to be manufacture suport to help this cause. I cant see how unification to a standard is a bad thing.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I think that 5 cell is a good idea BUT, the main problem is that it has been the industry standard for years to run 6 cells. Cars are designed w/ 6 cell packs in mind, period. They have been designed like this for years. Weight distrabution is critical (IMHO). (ya I know lipos are lighter). Lets face it, Lipo is the future. roar, manufacturers, dont want to face it, but that seems to be what the masses want. Why fight what pays the bills
Old 08-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've read the various threads on this topic and I have to say I'm just not convinced. It seems like 5 cell vs 6 cell is a good idea. Perhaps the 6th cell is just not needed anymore as there is plenty of power available otherwise. But the time to make that change is not now as the OP suggests, it was several years ago. The idea of changing now seems fruitless with the seemingly strong advantages that LiPo provides. If I'm being honest, the whole arugment it comes off to me (the average racer) as pro NiMh/anti LiPo. Perhaps that is not the intent, but the OP seemed to phrase his argument as 5 cell vs LiPo and not necessarily 5 cell vs 6 cell (or at least that's the way it came off to me).

I just don't see a compelling argument here. It's certainly not cost as some (not the OP) have suggested. You can get in the LiPo game for 1 vehicle for $200 bucks (1 battery and a decent charger is all you need). You have a very difficult time doing better with NiMh, perhaps youcan equal the cost (at least 3 decent batteries and a charger). There may be some timing issues there, but both are limited in different ways.

Is it speed? I don't see that. There is a vast array of different motors to choose from...do we really need to change the battery voltage to compenstate for this? If you are so good you are pushing the envelope in speed such that your equipment is wearing...well perhaps you should be expecting to put some extra cash into your racing endeavors.

There were a few other points I suppose, but in the end I just don't see a strong argument here. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think the main issue is actually speed. The cars are too fast. Cars designed around 7.4 lipos will only go faster. I think they could improve durability, but, who would actually be able to drive them?

Everyone would love to see what a superlight 3.5 bl lipo powered car could do around a track, or parking lot, but what would it be light to race them? To race against guys who choose not to motor down when the track gets loose? 3 cell lipo powered brushless Rusters are about to start appearing at tracks capable of doing almost 70 mph. What should we do with them? I dont really have any interest to race one.

I think that its almost irresponsible to say its time to go to lipos unless you have another way to limit speeds. I could only get behind the lipo movement if it was combined with higher wind motors.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed237
I think the main issue is actually speed. The cars are too fast.
Says you. If mod is too fast for you or your skill level, run a slower class. I try to match what I run with the track. Right now our track is slick, even if we had a full on mod class I would run the same 10.5 setup I currently am because I cant use all of it on most of the track. But I dont want someone telling me that since they cant handle a 10.5 that I need to drop back too.

I do believe that with all the advances in technology that our entry level classes are too fast and the learning curve is too steep and it is scaring off new blood. But this is an adjustment that needs to be made to the slowest spec class, not across the board.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you want to go slower, then use a milder motor. Don't be pushing your crap 5 cell rule
Much truth
Old 08-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

What if ROAR allowed lipos and kept the weights about where they are now? 5 cell in offroad at least in my cars is still over the weight limit. Lipos are too (or really close with a little weight added, like less than an ounce). So what if ROAR just added lipo's to all classes and kept the outdated low-weight limits?
Would that be a good step forward for racing? Like Rick said, it allows for some excitement to see what equipment different people run, and for those that choose to run nickel cells, allows the tuning option of 5 or 6 cell.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KWHIS
Truhe's packs were "Team" and "Factory" level packs from Slingshot Batteries.... These are packs anyone can buy.............

By the way, great topic Root....
The very packs I buy. Well I buy the team packs from Slingshot.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:04 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have read every post on here. I respect every opinion. I don't think that I "Dared" to take this to ROAR. If I "dared" to take this to ROAR, I would have wrote a letter to them, which I haven't done. Last time I checked, this is a public forum, for opinion and discussion and all I posted was an opinion of mine. 5 cells only does not personally "Suit my needs", but is something I think can help EP 1/10 racing.

I did not PM you, come to your track and yell, call you home, work, or cell, or knock on your door to talk to you, or as you might say it, "Push my CRAP 5 cell rule on you." You didn't have to read this thread, it was your choice. So please don't say I am pushing anything on you.

Please don't attack me and accuse me of things I have not done only because my views on this subject are not the same as yours. I thank the majority of people who can converse in here constructively as adults.

Frank Root

Last edited by Frank Root; 08-06-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.