Wiki Posts
Search

5 Cells, the time is now!! Or atleast by 2008

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:37 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
I was not running a 5-cell pack. I was running a 6-cell pack in which one cell discharged super early leaving me only 5-cells to run the rest of that qualifier. So, there are no reason to gear the car different. Everyone else was running either 6-cells or LiPo packs. The car was definitely slower after the one cell went away. To me, stock is slow enough (I usually run nitro touring car at races which offers that class). With 5 cells, it is way too slow and would be boring to racers and spectators alike. In my opinion, 5-cell is not the way to go (especially in stock). If you want to make the playing field level, you just have a spec class where you have to run a certain motor, battery pack, tire, and gear ratio.
If stock is already slow for you, why not run 19t? Not being a smart a$$, just curious...
Old 08-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NJA82
It wont fix anything or be a positive change, the cars will slow down for a while going to 5 cell ( not that i think that is a good thing ) until motor/ESC/battery developers come up with a way to make them faster again and again till they go back to the speed it was once before, you cant stop technology moving fowards...

If people cant handle running a hot motor then dont run one, simple as that, if you want to win races you cant crash and make stupid mistakes from to much HP for your ability, so the drivers that are serious dont run to much HP anyway to be able to cut consistant laps, i agree it is frustrating when a noob runs a hot motor and crashes into you frequently when you are racing nice and consistant and forces you to lose the race, i guess more communication is needed between fellow drivers to show younger people and less experienced drivers that all the HP in the world isnt the right way to go in the sport.

I agree the cars have more HP than they ever need at the moment and thats a good thing IMHO, lets us buy a big motor and actually limit how fast we want to go with EPA adjustments and ESC adjustments,, instead of carrying around 10x different motor winds in our pit boxes like the old days.

And as far as voltage being lower doing less damage and wearing of stuff, i was always under the impression that having high voltage meant things ran cooler, it was insufficient voltage that creates heat in electrics... i could be wrong... i know with stereos you always overpower things to keep them running cooler, you underpower things and they get hot, due to the less efficient nature of things under high load...
This post is dead on!!! Why should the average, weekend club racer have to jump the shark because sponsored guys (who either get their stuff free or at a very reduced cost) blow their crap up trying to get that extra Nth degree of speed to beat the competition.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:41 PM
TLRacing

This post is dead on!!! Why should the average, weekend club racer have to jump the shark because sponsored guys (who either get their stuff free or at a very reduced cost) blow their crap up trying to get that extra Nth degree of speed to beat the competition.
This change will help, not hamper the average club racer. I don't mind going fast, trust me.ll. I just see Electric fading and think this might be the best shot at saving it.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tripthreat
If stock is already slow for you, why not run 19t? Not being a smart a$$, just curious...
Because where I live and race, the guys are too chickenshiznit to run that class. We have many "club kings" that brag about being the weekend club champ because they have mastered a class. When you try to level the playing field, it meets with much resistance (they don't want to have to relearn the wheel).
Old 08-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

There are competative pro's that are already running 5 cell offroad with the brushless systems. I am still not sold on the lipo or the brushless systems yet. Speedo's and motors are still blowing up. Add a couple fans around your car and hack up the body and you can make a go of it.

IB cells are shot gun cells I agree. The EP cells are much more durable but I have on a rare occation seen them go. I have seen lots of lipo's swell as well though.

5 cell would not be a bad thing. Batteries would be cheaper and I agree the rest of the electronics would love you for it as well. This will only work if everyone buys into the idea though.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I was not running a 5-cell pack. I was running a 6-cell pack in which one cell discharged super early leaving me only 5-cells to run the rest of that qualifier. So, there are no reason to gear the car different. Everyone else was running either 6-cells or LiPo packs. The car was definitely slower after the one cell went away. To me, stock is slow enough (I usually run nitro touring car at races which offers that class). With 5 cells, it is way too slow and would be boring to racers and spectators alike. In my opinion, 5-cell is not the way to go (especially in stock). If you want to make the playing field level, you just have a spec class where you have to run a certain motor, battery pack, tire, and gear ratio.

Ok wait, so you were running a 6 cell pack, blew a cell, and don't understand why you couldn't keep up so 5 cell is bad?

Well, we've addressed the gearing difference. Then there is the added weight of the cell your not using. 5 cell guys run at a lower weight. The stress that was put on your other cells from that one cell dieing for who knows how long. Thats about all I got right now.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Casper
There are competative pro's that are already running 5 cell offroad with the brushless systems. I am still not sold on the lipo or the brushless systems yet. Speedo's and motors are still blowing up. Add a couple fans around your car and hack up the body and you can make a go of it.......
You just stated what some have tried to point out in the past. It is not the majority of us weekend club racers blowing up stuff, it is the competitive pro. Why make the other 98% of the racing public have to dramatically change what they already have for the 2% that get their stuff for free or almost free? If the competitive "pro" had to pay 100% for it like the rest of us, you would see less "blowing up" of ESCs and battery packs.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

You just stated what some have tried to point out in the past. It is not the majority of us weekend club racers blowing up stuff, it is the competitive pro. Why make the other 98% of the racing public have to dramatically change what they already have for the 2% that get their stuff for free or almost free? If the competitive "pro" had to pay 100% for it like the rest of us, you would see less "blowing up" of ESCs and battery packs.
No, you wouldnt. That has nothing to do with the current cells these days being awful. Thats like blaming Hendrick Motorsports cause your chevy you bought sucks.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DavidAlford
Ok wait, so you were running a 6 cell pack, blew a cell, and don't understand why you couldn't keep up so 5 cell is bad?

Well, we're addressed the gearing difference. Then there is the added weight of the cell your not using. 5 cell guys run at a lower weight. The stress that was put on your other cells from that one cell dieing for who knows how long. Thats about all I got right now.
Okay, there are two things here. First, no one at this race ran 5-cell stock because from what they have tested, it was too slow no matter how they geared their cars as compared to 6 cells. Second, my car was set up and geared for 6 cells. I started would with 6-cell capacity but ended with only 5-cells (the one cell was completely discharged when put on my DPD). If I had started out with 5 cells, I would have been much slower than my competition and not matter of gearing would have caught me up to them unless I either blew up the pack or ESC.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

During a time when nitro is king because of the fast, cheap, and sturdy RTR's, you want the remaining electric guys to keep buying crappy NIMH batteries, go out and buy new lower wind BL motors, and gear the hell out of them to be competitive? Forgive me for being sceptical, but this whole 5 cell deal just sounds like a way to keep the NIMH matchers in business for a couple more years.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Your logic is just....wow.....
Old 08-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis
Forgive me for being sceptical, but this whole 5 cell deal just sounds like a way to keep the NIMH matchers in business for a couple more years.
I think this is the key point, in my opinion..

LiPo already has a huge following, and is the thing that will bring electric racing out of the grave.... (I hope).. but ANYthing that helps is great. I think its going to take the LiPo companies contributing ($$$) in order for them to become legal...
Old 08-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DavidAlford
No, you wouldnt. That has nothing to do with the current cells these days being awful. Thats like blaming Hendrick Motorsports cause your chevy you bought sucks.
Actually, I currently own two Chevys (a Monte Carlo SS and Trailblazer) and I have had very little issues with either (just wear items). Actually, I would blame Petty Enterprises if my Chevy sucked.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
There are competative pro's that are already running 5 cell offroad with the brushless systems. I am still not sold on the lipo or the brushless systems yet. Speedo's and motors are still blowing up. Add a couple fans around your car and hack up the body and you can make a go of it.
Brushed speedos and motors are blowing up too requiring even more fans than brushless.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
TLRacing

Until very recently, I have paid for almost all of my stuff. Trust me when I say I still spend a tons of $ to go to every race I attend, probably more than the average club guy does in 3-4 months of club racing... so please don't pretend to think I am suggest to go to 5 cells for my own good. I have NEVER blown up and ESC, free or otherwise...(BTW I buy my ESCs) and I take care of my equipment. I don't blow things up. I am not suggesting 5-cells because of things blowing up, not sure where you got that. I am saying slow the cars down...just a little. Reduce tires wear, allow of cheaper batteries, get some of the those sandbagging club pros that you talk about to run 19t (10.5) 5 cells...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.