Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 Cells, the time is now!! Or atleast by 2008

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1/8 has exploded becouse it is FAST not becouse it does not go through tires since it is slower.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:58 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DustinR
1/8 has exploded becouse it is FAST not becouse it does not go through tires since it is slower.
1/8 is no faster than 4wd mod, infact it is slower. People like the cheaper entry into the hobby and the reliability of the cars (IMHO). If we can get those 2 aspects improved in electrics, our odds of survival will improve.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdude19641
For those who are saying stay with 6 cell and just use lipo:

Are you saying you would rather buy two or three $100-150 packs, a $150 charger that will charge LiPos instead of just taking one cell off your current 6-cell packs? If you have run 5-cell you will realize that its not that bad, in fact its pretty good especially on loose tracks. It could save you $450-600 dollars in packs/chargers and isnt that what the whole goal is, to make things cheaper and safer? And I have seen many "average club racers" blow up packs both EPs and IBs.

And for those who are saying lets go faster:

So you wanna spend lots of money on broken parts and sit out races cause you had to much power that you couldn't handle?
You only need one lipo pack and a $120 Duratrax ICE that most people allready have.
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I can't figure out the popularity of 8th scale. At a total grass roots level I guess it is cheap to get in but motors, tires and everything is more expensive. Comptetative racing with those things is painful on the wallet!
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Well I have run 5 cell in my 2WD mod car before and it was great. I immediately went about 1 second a lap faster. I had to gear up about 3 teeth but that was it.
The car came off the track like it hadn't even been used.
I think 5 cell will be the starting point for me at every track now.
They are finding with 5 cell in touring cars that although there was alot of sceptism before it was introduced, most people are now in favour of it.
It's faster and easier on equipment.

I am with you Tripthreat.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tripthreat
1/8 is no faster than 4wd mod, infact it is slower. People like the cheaper entry into the hobby and the reliability of the cars (IMHO). If we can get those 2 aspects improved in electrics, our odds of survival will improve.
I run a brushless/lipo Losi 8ight just for that reason.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdude19641
For those who are saying stay with 6 cell and just use lipo:

Are you saying you would rather buy two or three $100-150 packs, a $150 charger that will charge LiPos instead of just taking one cell off your current 6-cell packs? If you have run 5-cell you will realize that its not that bad, in fact its pretty good especially on loose tracks. It could save you $450-600 dollars in packs/chargers and isnt that what the whole goal is, to make things cheaper and safer? And I have seen many "average club racers" blow up packs both EPs and IBs.

And for those who are saying lets go faster:

So you wanna spend lots of money on broken parts and sit out races cause you had to much power that you couldn't handle?
I bought one Lipo for $80 for this season. If I didnt I would need 3 $60-70 race packs. I am using the same Duratrax Ice that I use with my NiMH packs. And the NiMH packs we need to be replaced at least once during the season with the durability of the current cells.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:05 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by fatbear
Well I have run 5 cell in my 2WD mod car before and it was great. I immediately went about 1 second a lap faster. I had to gear up about 3 teeth but that was it.
The car came off the track like it hadn't even been used.
I think 5 cell will be the starting point for me at every track now.
They are finding with 5 cell in touring cars that although there was alot of sceptism before it was introduced, most people are now in favour of it.
It's faster and easier on equipment.

I am with you Tripthreat.
Thanks man.

Originally Posted by badassrevo
I run a brushless/lipo Losi 8ight just for that reason.

Those EP 1/8 are insane. I have one myself, but talk about droppin' some coin.. those might be 3-4 years off before they find their place in the hobby.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by badassrevo
You only need one lipo pack and a $120 Duratrax ICE that most people allready have.
Dont you think people will want more than one pack? What if you are running two classes with two cars? Your gonna need more than one pack. I know alot of people would but more than one, myself included. And what about the people who dont have ICEs. I dont see THAT many at all, I see mostly LRPs and in the TC scene alot of Much Mores.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It is an interesting argument so far, both pro and con.

Any rule change would have to be very carefully considered as there are a LOT of companies out there that have invested heavily into nimh/lipo and we don't want to puit anyone out of a job, do we?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Seriously?

Just so you know, NASCAR, F1, Indy/Champ car have done SEVERAL things over the past 10-15 years to slow their cars down.
I know that!!! You missed the dramatically part of the statement. I was asking if any of you would go watch a NASCAR, etc race if the cars were slowed down to like 60mph?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb
Hey Frank,

if your willing to put a limit on what batteries people can use to slow down racing, why wouldn't you be willing to put a limit on what type of motors people could use instead to allow superior battery technology?

If the high speed is the problem, then there are a couple ways of controlling the speed.

1. reduce the battery voltage (your suggestion)
2. reduce the speed of the motor (thus allowing superior battery technology)
3. control the speed electronically through speed control software, regardless of motor or battery.

All of these solutions would provide the same end result of slowing down racing. Why do you feel that solution 1 is the best option?

Great, just what I want to do, spend $150-200 a pop for new speed controls
Old 08-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nc-hopsing
Great, just what I want to do, spend $150-200 a pop for new speed controls
comeon steve you know you want to!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:17 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by JLock
I know that!!! You missed the dramatically part of the statement. I was asking if any of you would go watch a NASCAR, etc race if the cars were slowed down to like 60mph?
From 200 to 60 is a huge step down. I am not suggesting 2 cells, just 5. NASCAR in 1982 at Talladega went 212mph for a full lap. With advances in aero dynamics, it would be like 225-230 now w/o a restrictor plate. And now they run about 190-195mph per lap, about the same decrease as 6 to 5 cells. And the Daytona 500 is the highest rated race, one where the use restrictor plates....
Old 08-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Initiate

...I can see why new people into the hobby are easily scared away, the stock guys who are sponsored with super-fast, cut every run motors, and new packs really are fast. Sometimes able to run within 1-1.5 seconds per lap of mod drivers at the same track. And someone to just bought an RTR B4 (or whatever) is in the same class, getting lapped 3-4 times. That's just not fun. There's not much incentive to keep doing this hobby...

That's why we have a novice class here at our local track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.