Search
Like Tree387Likes

JConcepts Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 07:56 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cromulent
Can you provide more details on this? Half width? Won't they shift around too much being narrower than the tire? New to racing, and I just discovered cutting and chamfering rear foams with good results, so I'm curious about front foam mods too.
You just cut the 4wd front insert straight down the middle (half width) and put into the front tire. It seems that the front tire having a little more give seems to take away a little of the twitchiness. The narrow insert just supports the center of the tire a little and doesn't really seem to shift. Glued front sidewalls almost always on 4wd fronts.
Cain, Bsthetech and Cromulent like this.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PW
You just cut the 4wd front insert straight down the middle (half width) and put into the front tire. It seems that the front tire having a little more give seems to take away a little of the twitchiness. The narrow insert just supports the center of the tire a little and doesn't really seem to shift. Glued front sidewalls almost always on 4wd fronts.
Thanks for the tip. I whipped up some cutting guides in 18mm wide for the front and 35mm wide for the rear foams. Really liking the consistent feel these trimmed foams give!

PW, RBLove, Cain and 4 others like this.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:52 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Thanks for the tip. I whipped up some cutting guides in 18mm wide for the front and 35mm wide for the rear foams. Really liking the consistent feel these trimmed foams give!
That's really cool! Nice work!
RBLove and Cain like this.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:51 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

thats really cool!

heck, makes me wonder if its possible to make some adjustable cutting guys for foams inserts. can just dial in the width you want and go. I'd buy some
Old 12-21-2021, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
thats really cool!

heck, makes me wonder if its possible to make some adjustable cutting guys for foams inserts. can just dial in the width you want and go. I'd buy some
I did some brainstorming on that, but couldn't think of a way to make it easy to print without warping, and durable enough detents/locking mechanism to be reliable & consistent. Front and rear foams having differing ID & OD make it more challenging as well. I'll keep pondering it - in the meantime I'm making various sizes available.
Cain and jtodd57 like this.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:24 AM
PW
Tech Elite

I did some brainstorming on that, but couldn't think of a way to make it easy to print without warping, and durable enough detents/locking mechanism to be reliable & consistent. Front and rear foams having differing ID & OD make it more challenging as well. I'll keep pondering it - in the meantime I'm making various sizes available.
What you could do is make the jig the same size as the full insert or the minimum amount to be cut.. Then just have some different thickness rings/spacers that drops into the jig before the insert, then the insert goes on top and will expose the amount to be cutoff
RBLove likes this.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PW
What you could do is make the jig the same size as the full insert or the minimum amount to be cut.. Then just have some different thickness rings/spacers that drops into the jig before the insert, then the insert goes on top and will expose the amount to be cutoff
I'm making a nesting insert prototype now - only concern is durability with thinner walls, but I'll do some destructive testing to see if that concern is valid.

A reverse cut would make for a smaller guide, but unfortunately, some of the inserts out there don't come in a uniform width, so we'd need multiple spacers and measurement steps for a pair of foams.

I'll post up some pics of the next iteration tonight. Thanks for the ideas and support - sorry to keep spamming your thread PW!
RBLove and Cain like this.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Cromulent - how are you cutting the insert once you drop it into your jig? Are you just using flat blade to run across the top of the jig?

Nice work.
Cain likes this.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RBLove
Cromulent - how are you cutting the insert once you drop it into your jig? Are you just using flat blade to run across the top of the jig?

Nice work.
Correct

Cain, RCW and jtodd57 like this.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Nice.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Made a thin walled version for the front foams that can nest inside the rear foam cutting guide - less space wasted in the pit box! The thin walls seem to work just fine on their own as a cutting guide and should be plenty durable. I'm stoked Spacers would be easy to fabricobble if one wanted to experiment.

Kraig, RBLove, Cain and 3 others like this.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:37 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Made a thin walled version for the front foams that can nest inside the rear foam cutting guide - less space wasted in the pit box! The thin walls seem to work just fine on their own as a cutting guide and should be plenty durable. I'm stoked Spacers would be easy to fabricobble if one wanted to experiment.

Awesome man glad that worked out!

Anyone got some pics of how high they are gluing the sidewalls of the fuzz bite 4wd fronts?
kghills likes this.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 220 (100%+)

PW is there a way to fix these inserts?

The one seems like they forgot to cut the flutes out.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:17 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pink_sleeve
PW is there a way to fix these inserts?
The one seems like they forgot to cut the flutes out.
Please contact us directly and we can send you another pair.
Cain likes this.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

I don't know if it is a result of the supply chain issues that everyone has been dealing with lately, or what, but I have experienced that foam defect with every major tire brand. Most often with PL, and a few from JC, and AKA. Its been a regular enough occurrence that I have been able to match sets of foams with the short inner tabs.
egalsim likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.