Search
Like Tree8Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

thanks guys!!!

The guy at my track running the RB5 has the LRP w/o fan and it fits very well, much smaller than the GTB and running the 13.5ss so it's a baller setup! his car is a torque monster!

The only reason I ask about the different ball studs is that I feel more at home with the Ti ball studs with the hex heads in them, makes life so much easier and they look great! so...picky ol me I guess lol.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

As long as you have virgin parts you can use 4-40 type ball studs. The Kyosho ones are top notch though.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by mafiaracers
thanks guys!!!

The guy at my track running the RB5 has the LRP w/o fan and it fits very well, much smaller than the GTB and running the 13.5ss so it's a baller setup! his car is a torque monster!

The only reason I ask about the different ball studs is that I feel more at home with the Ti ball studs with the hex heads in them, makes life so much easier and they look great! so...picky ol me I guess lol.
I also like the titanium tie rods. I'm using the b4 ones. I found if you take the extra time and thread the ball ends,they are much more durable. Just remember that they (b4) are 4-40 thread and one end has a left handed thread.
So you will need a left handed 4-40 tap or use the stock rod end and dremel with a cut off wheel two parallel cuts off center 180 deg. apart. Refer to the regular tap for the location and direction of the cuts. And as Casper stated thece cups are top notch!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Ive got Losi Ball studs, JConcepts ball cups and Lunsford turnbuckles on my car, its a sweet setup. Casper is right, the fit is nice and snug as long as the plastic is virgin.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

good to know!
Old 09-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

got another one.....

can I run the Losi Universals on the RB5? I'm doing the long arm conversion for the rear and have never been a fan of CVD's....do you think it would be possible to run Losi universals?

my thought is you'd have to find the right combo of shaft and axle, then run the losi carrier and bore out the arm hole to fit the pin...but then you'd magically have the uni's....worth it?
Old 09-15-2007, 06:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

got another one.....

can I run the Losi Universals on the RB5? I'm doing the long arm conversion for the rear and have never been a fan of CVD's....do you think it would be possible to run Losi universals?

my thought is you'd have to find the right combo of shaft and axle, then run the losi carrier and bore out the arm hole to fit the pin...but then you'd magically have the uni's....worth it?
It would be an interesting experiment for you to try for us!!
Old 09-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

i'm down for an experiment! My losi cars always handled better with the universals over the CVD's....i don't see why the same wouldn't hold true for the RB5
Old 09-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
It's around $50 if you buy the parts seperate, I ordered the full kit since I got a used zx-5 and I wanted the rb5 lower cartridges for the shocks so it worked out, otherwise it does include more than you would need.
Originally Posted by Exterminator
I am looking at doing the mid. conversion. I found on A-mainhobbies a whole kit for a conversion does this kit have all the items I need for the RB5?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13250

Thanks
Tim

I got my kit and went to install it and realized that it does not include the correct CVD's! you need the stock ZX-5 dogbone, but use the rb5 axle, the mid conversion comes with dogbones the same length as the RB5 has stock, so imo the conversion kit is a waste of $40.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Convert the ZX5 to the mid rear arm conversion and you get the long bones!
Old 09-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MikeXray
I got my kit and went to install it and realized that it does not include the correct CVD's! you need the stock ZX-5 dogbone, but use the rb5 axle, the mid conversion comes with dogbones the same length as the RB5 has stock, so imo the conversion kit is a waste of $40.
Yes and no. It is intended for the ZX5 (Lazer) and is a good value considering it comes with the upgraded shock cartridges as well.
For the RB5 (Ultima) you only need the arms, hubs, axles and shock shafts so it probably isn't worth it. Then again you will have spare cartridges. And if you have a Lazer you will have spare axles. But yes you still have to buy more stuff to use itt on the Ultima.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Convert the ZX5 to the mid rear arm conversion and you get the long bones!
I run at LIR would the conversion be a benefit? I thought it was intended for very rough tracks.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just my 2 cents I had a converted zx-5 and a stock one as far as ball studs go. It was a paint to remember which ones were standard which ones that were 4.8mm. The stock one I have ran for 2 years now and haven't broken a ball stud, and the cups are still original. I only run about 3 times a month but the ball studs and cups are the best I have ever used, in a steel plastic combo.

thanks guys!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Everyone last night i was a hack, I owe Crazy Carl my apologies. Sorry man.

On another note how accesible are these parts Carl ?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

anybody use a b4 turnbuckles on rb5??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.