Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
The effects of using different glow plugs! >

The effects of using different glow plugs!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The effects of using different glow plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The shorter plugs do not have any dramatic effect on tuning and compression. We've been down this road before the plugs are about one thread shorter. You have to retune when you switch to any plug other than the one you were using just before.

This isn't the problem with turbo plugs, here the problem does exist and it's one of slightly different threading. Again using a Novarossi turbo plug in an OS may allow a slight bit of leakage but nothing to worry about (no you don't get air leaks from the plug since the air fuel mixture is under compression. Leaks can occur but only in the induction side of the engine, i.e.; the carb and backplate.)
Old 10-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

LOL AreCee I agree this has been a road well traveled. We had this discussion on the S-Grid last year. IMO you are right but to say it didn't have any effect I think would be wrong. The effects might not be dramatic as you stated but there is an effect. I think for the new racers it just throws more confuseion into the mix that they don't need. Heck I have been playing with nitro engines now for a while and I still have a hard time trying to remember all the heat ranges from all the different manufactures. To make a long story short I try to recomend plugs to people that were designed for there engine and the OS plugs do not belong in Nova based engines.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

so i should stop using OS #8s in my RB S5? i never thought that using different brands of plugs really made a difference. maybe i've been missing out....
Old 10-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

For the S5 I would recomend the RB#6 which is what it comes with it or the Mcoy#8. I have been using the Mcoy plugs now for a few years. There are only 3 heat ranges and I have gotten to know them pretty well and they have never let me down.

#59=Hot
#8= Med which is about the same as the RB#6
#9= Cold
Old 10-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

I confess, I too use the McCoy #8 in my Picco and Nova engines and now in my Kyosho GXR28. Good heat range for both 20 and 30%.

Any time anything is changed on these engines you have to make small adjustments, heck even when the air temperature climbs during the day.

One thing I am absolutely positive about is that my V-Spec only likes P3 plugs and barfs when I try to feed it a P6 or anything colder. (Tried the P6 when P3s weren't available.)
Old 10-31-2006, 07:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by AreCee
Think of the heat range of glow plugs like the distributor of an engine. The hotter the plug the more advanced the timing is, colder plug is more retarded timing. The V-Spec was ported to be advanced so use the P3 (and yes there are no substitutes).

How can you tell if an engine is ported to be advanced or retarded? I know it has something to do with the timing of the sleeve ports. Can anyone give more info on this?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

What I was trying to explain is that you can use the heat range of a plug to "modify" how your engine burns the fuel. A hot plug will ignite the mixture early than a cold plug therefore "advanced". However, this may result in pinging or knocking also known as preignition which isn't good for the engine.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

Well I just got my six pack of P3 plugs today.I was forced to use the Novarossi plugs before as that is what they had at the shop.So now I am comparing the plugs and there is a big difference between the two.Now I can understand why my Vspec was not running correctly.These plugs are shaped very different from each other so from now on I will only use the P3 plugs from now on.Too bad it`s rainy season now or I would have been out today retuning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

i picked up a picco p3-28 and was told that the recommended picco plug was only good for break in then i should start using these: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=DYNP5607

what's your thoughts on this?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

How did this thread get into the Electric Off Road forum?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
How did this thread get into the Electric Off Road forum?
haha, i thought the same thing but here it is.