R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-29-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default The effects of using different glow plugs!

Hey all,

I have a Vspec that I am having issues with.I can`t seem to get it to run correctly.The bearings have been changed,the motor is sealed good and all but still have issues getting it to idle and also seems lean and rich at the same time.It also has plenty of compression! At first I had the original plug in it which I think was a OS #3 which is the hot plug right.I was not able to get them at the time so I used some Novarossi C6Tfs which I belive is a medium/hot plug.After using this plug it was ok at best but one day I noticed that the plug was bubbling on the side,like fuel was leaking past the threads.It was tight but I took it out and cleaned the threads and put it back in.Since all this has happend I also have now been trying to mess with the middle needle as I thought it might be off a little bit but still no luck.I really loved this motor when it was running right but now it is off kilter and I am starting to get a little frustrated.Could the change of plug been a problem for the Vspec and also what can I do to get all this right again.Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!
motomanpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Generally speaking, a gigger block engine like a .21-.32 should run a colder plug. Try an MC8, OD99, or an RB6, or the OS medium cold plug. Set the mid needle back to flush with the carb housing and try and tune from there. Make sre your idle screw is adjusted properly as well. It should be open between 1 and 2mm at idle or full brake.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
Generally speaking, a gigger block engine like a .21-.32 should run a colder plug. Try an MC8, OD99, or an RB6, or the OS medium cold plug. Set the mid needle back to flush with the carb housing and try and tune from there. Make sre your idle screw is adjusted properly as well. It should be open between 1 and 2mm at idle or full brake.
In general yes but Very WRONG!! for a V-Spec.

The V-Spec runs the BEST using the P3 Ultra-Hot plug. If anything a P6 will do in a pinch but the performance falls off. This works for the JP and EB mod versions too.

Think of the heat range of glow plugs like the distributor of an engine. The hotter the plug the more advanced the timing is, colder plug is more retarded timing. The V-Spec was ported to be advanced so use the P3 (and yes there are no substitutes).
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee
In general yes but Very WRONG!! for a V-Spec.

The V-Spec runs the BEST using the P3 Ultra-Hot plug. If anything a P6 will do in a pinch but the performance falls off. This works for the JP and EB mod versions too.

Think of the heat range of glow plugs like the distributor of an engine. The hotter the plug the more advanced the timing is, colder plug is more retarded timing. The V-Spec was ported to be advanced so use the P3 (and yes there are no substitutes).

The MEGA # 6 Hot Turbo would be a nice choice too, at least last week saw one running that plug on a OS and no problem at all ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
Tech Elite

There are always exceptions. I have a Picco P3-28 that need's ultra hot turbo plugs. A hot plug won't run right in that engine either.

The guy in my area running the V Spec is using an OD99 with great results.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
The guy in my area running the V Spec is using an OD99 with great results.
OK but that is the complete opposite from the tracks that I race at. No one uses a cold plug in a V-Spec around here. Like I said the Ultra-Hot works the best and if you have no other choice then the P6 medium will do. Remember that a cold plug is similar to retarding the ignition very much like what happens when you run 87 octane in a high compression engine designed for 91 octane, it will retard the ignition to prevent knocking (or in the V-Spec, running lean).

Whatever works for you is cool.

BTW I have heard that the Novarossi turbo plugs do not fit exactly in the V-Spec head button which is why you may have had some bubbling and a slight compression loss.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #7
Tech Elite

i have to run an OS LC3 (ya, the ones for the traxxas 2.5 engines!) in my Picco .21 to make it run well at all. it is an ultra hot plug, but the engine needs it. i tried running a Novarossi cold plug in it and it was like i had richened up the bottom by 2 turns!
my point in saying that is that all engines can act differently in different climates. go to your LHS and buy one of every plug and do a little testing.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:05 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Is the OD99 a turbo plug? If not and I don't think it is what's it doing in a V-spec that requires a turbo plug.
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:36 AM   #9
Tech Addict

I have a noob question. Wouldn't an OS plug work best in an OS engine? Theoretically they would be designed to work together right? I am only asking because I started messing with glowplugs in an OFNA engine and it never ran right once I got the stock plug out.

Yea, I'm a noob. I guess in my mind you're taking parts off a Ford to put in a Chevy. They might work, but they weren't designed to work together. Okay, time to point and laugh at me.
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBump57
Is the OD99 a turbo plug? If not and I don't think it is what's it doing in a V-spec that requires a turbo plug.
No, there are two OD99s one is standard and the other, OD99T, is turbo. However, both are rated as cold plugs.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:56 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysuleod
I have a noob question. Wouldn't an OS plug work best in an OS engine? Theoretically they would be designed to work together right? I am only asking because I started messing with glowplugs in an OFNA engine and it never ran right once I got the stock plug out.

Yea, I'm a noob. I guess in my mind you're taking parts off a Ford to put in a Chevy. They might work, but they weren't designed to work together. Okay, time to point and laugh at me.
You would think that they would standardize the heat ratings so you could switch them as needed from make to make. But there are no standard ratings across manufacturers. So you try an equivalent plug.

You are correct in assuming that an OS plug will fit perfectly in an OS engine and they do as will the majority of standard plugs. The story is a bit different with Turbo plugs since they do not use a squish gasket they must fit EXACTLY or else you will get a little leakage.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:45 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for all the input guys! I think I will switch back to the OS P3 and see if it clears up my problems.I was also told that my glow plug ignitor would not get the turbo plugs hot enough to start quickly which was proven to me this last weekend.I have an old D-cell ignitor and he told me to switch to a hot shot as they work best.Put the hot shot on and it started first bump the old D-cell never worked like that.
motomanpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:01 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Thanks Arecee....I have run the OD99 standard and wasn't aware that there was a OD99T as I have never run an engine that required a turbo plug. Thanks for clearing that up.

Oh and for you guys trying different plugs and such. Most all of the OS standard plugs are short plugs (short in lenght) and should not be used in other engines as most others require a long plug, i.e RB, Nova, Werks, SH and so forth. Just a heads up..............
Old 10-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Oh and for you guys trying different plugs and such. Most all of the OS standard plugs are short plugs (short in lenght) and should not be used in other engines as most others require a long plug, i.e RB, Nova, Werks, SH and so forth. Just a heads up..............
what difference will it make?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:18 PM   #15
Tech Addict

It will put the bottom of the coil on the glow plug further up into the head button which will make it less efficient and harder to tune. Just like a cold plug has a tighter tuning window that is harder to get a good tune on and a hotter plug has a wider tuning window and has more room for error.

I will also change the cylinder volume and lower compression slightly. I am not sure on this one but it might also alter timing, kinda like a cold or hot plug.