Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Duratrax Evader

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
None of you guys running brushless or fast mod motors are chewing transmissions?
The Evader was my first car back in 2002 and was a blast. REALLY fragile though and the worst servo saver setup I've ever seen. I never ran faster than a 14T brushed on 3000mah 7.2v Nimh packs and I went through transmissions left and right.

Sure do have great memories of that car though. My brother in law and sister also had the same one. We would stand in the back of his pickup truck driving up the mountain and drive the cars in front of us while following in the Yota! Then strapped glow sticks to them and drove in the pitch black.
For the Evader EXT you will need: 1) full ball bearing kit, 2) Duratrax Alloy idler gear. This one I haven't done but a T2 or T3? diff. I've used mine about 20 times with the 14T motor & havent had any probs what so ever, but I always check-set the slipper clutch!!. Next I'm thinking a ezrun 13.5T brushless combo .
Old 07-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by laferlita2007
Thanks for that Losi 2.2 wheels it is. For the slipper clutch I'm going to use this. Mine has a brass washer in between the steel washer's!?!?.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Don't think that's going to work for the slipper clutch. That is made for inside the ball diff of the Evader ST on the side where the bolt goes through. I am trying to come up with a solution for the brass bushings in the slipper as well. With my Sidewinder 4600kv combo, I wear down the larger bushing in a matter of maybe an hour. Now I'm looking at using either steel or something harder
Old 07-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
None of you guys running brushless or fast mod motors are chewing transmissions?
The Evader was my first car back in 2002 and was a blast. REALLY fragile though and the worst servo saver setup I've ever seen. I never ran faster than a 14T brushed on 3000mah 7.2v Nimh packs and I went through transmissions left and right.

Sure do have great memories of that car though. My brother in law and sister also had the same one. We would stand in the back of his pickup truck driving up the mountain and drive the cars in front of us while following in the Yota! Then strapped glow sticks to them and drove in the pitch black.
To prepare for my Sidewinder combo, I did the B2 diff upgrade you can read about if you look back in this thread. What I did was I replaced the stock ball diff gear with the one for the Associated RC10B2 (same size but better material). Then I upgraded my diff and thrust bearing balls to carbide (you can get them from Duratrax), lubricated the diff with some Traxxas 100K diff lube, and then lubricated the rest of the tranny with AE Black Grease. I haven't had a problem with the transmission since doing that, which lets me focus on all the other problems I am having
Old 07-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by G33Kster
Don't think that's going to work for the slipper clutch. That is made for inside the ball diff of the Evader ST on the side where the bolt goes through. I am trying to come up with a solution for the brass bushings in the slipper as well. With my Sidewinder 4600kv combo, I wear down the larger bushing in a matter of maybe an hour. Now I'm looking at using either steel or something harder
Thanks for letting me know, so I'm not going to buy it now. But we need something!. I'll continue my search. As for the diff the B2 sounds good,can you just buy the B2 diff & fit it or do you need something Else, EG: CVs??.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by laferlita2007
Thanks for letting me know, so I'm not going to buy it now. But we need something!. I'll continue my search. As for the diff the B2 sounds good,can you just buy the B2 diff & fit it or do you need something Else, EG: CVs??.
In the ST all you need is the B2 diff and B2 drive rings (go on either side of the diff and hold the diff balls in). I also bought carbide diff and thrust balls because they are much stronger than the stock ones. Oh right, and you also need 2 5x8mm bearings. Duratrax makes 'em. The outdrives stay the same so CVs aren't necessary, but I did buy the CVDs for the nitro Evader, and they held up just fine to the tumble I took a few posts up

I don't know what else you'd need in order to do the B2 diff mod in an EXT - if it were me I'd just replace the whole tranny with one from the ST, assuming it mounts up the same.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

In the ST all you need is the B2 diff and B2 drive rings (go on either side of the diff and hold the diff balls in). I also bought carbide diff and thrust balls because they are much stronger than the stock ones. Oh right, and you also need 2 5x8mm bearings. Duratrax makes 'em. The outdrives stay the same so CVs aren't necessary, but I did buy the CVDs for the nitro Evader, and they held up just fine to the tumble I took a few posts up

I don't know what else you'd need in order to do the B2 diff mod in an EXT - if it were me I'd just replace the whole tranny with one from the ST, assuming it mounts up the same.
Thanks for that, I don't know if the ST has the same gear box housing as the EXT?. Would the Losi XXXT CR AD2 Quick Change Wheels fit the EXT?. What would I have to buy to make them fit, I mean what do they use instead of wheel nuts?. I found a set on ebay.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Brushless Evader ST Completed!

Ok guys, I have finished turning my Evader ST into a brushless monster! Tell me what you think!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by octane3117
well i agree. LMFAO

if you want to try and race a duracrap go ahead but you will find that if you step and spend the money in the begining that over time you spend less money. go team ass. or team losi only.

later
lol losi is shit dont even bother all my losi rc cars broke within the fist month 2 expensive so think about duatrax more loser
Old 07-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Here's a video my friend shot today of my Evader just doing some driving around the street. I have had it geared down to a 21t pinion because it's been hot here recently, so the speed isn't too impressive but it's around 30mph. Enjoy and tell me what you think (besides the shaky camera )!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Improper Differential Adjustment Episode I

Overtightened ball diff...

^diff rings^
Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Good! What exactly do they do that is better than stock?
Sorry it took so long for me to answer!!

I've been here >> http://dtxfan.maxforum.org/

===

1. they are stronger
2. less moving (wearing areas) parts
Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Slipper upgrades

1. Associated T4 slipper setup.
http://dtxfan.maxforum.org/2010/07/0...upgrade/#post6

2. Replace the steel/brass washers with one ball bearing.
Sorry I don't remember what size it is, it was a long time ago that I did this.
This was/is a standard upgrade for a Associated B3/T3/GT <<< front wheel bearing is used >>>

3. Double nut the slipper after you get it set.

Last edited by tmail55; 07-18-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

For the Duratrax haters :-)

Losi XXT is the base for a Duratrax ST, so the ST has the RACE background of a XXT, PLUS the ST has a BETTER diff!

The BIGGEST problem with the Losi XXT and Duratrax ST is they are a OLD design. The Associated T4 put them in that place in 2003 and the Kyosho RT5 puts them even father back >>> talking Race Level <<<.

For a beginner, I'll loan my ST to them before I would loan them my Factory Team T4!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Overtightened ball diff...

^diff rings^
Looks like there isn't enough grease on them BUT you may have removed that as you removed the rings. :-)

They also don't look like carbon rings either.

If you mix carbon balls with plain steel rings this will happen also, NOT saying that is what has happened here. :-)
Old 07-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmail55
Looks like there isn't enough grease on them BUT you may have removed that as you removed the rings. :-)

They also don't look like carbon rings either.

If you mix carbon balls with plain steel rings this will happen also, NOT saying that is what has happened here. :-)
Yeah most of the grease stayed on the outdrives. I've actually been using 100k wt. Diff lube in the ball diff which has been working out excellently. I think this mishap occurred because I kept tightening the diff all the way.
I didn't know they made carbon diff rings . I have carbide diff balls and the B2 diff rings. I had to fix it up quick yesterday so I rebuilt my transmission but had to use the original diff rings, which are too small OD and just barely touch the balls.
What's the part number on the carbon diff rings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.