Search
Like Tree1167Likes

Team Associated B7 and B7D

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 05:18 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
It's been interesting reading Facebook comments about the car. Dirt racers seem really happy and are surprised by how stable it is.

Carpet racers seems to be split between people who think it is great and people who think it understeers.

For me, it understeers.

I think the answer is in the front geometry somewhere because springs/damping alone haven't made enough difference. I have a few things I want to try but will be a couple of weeks before my next track visit.

If you like a planted car and are willing to hustle it into the corners you'll probably be happier with something close to the kit setting. I can only drive smooth and I'm not happy yet.
Got a couple of team drivers at our track and a variety of AE Cars, from what I can tell they are getting the cars to rotate fine on our tight track, I think one of them played with some caster settings and I am assuming they are not using AE springs, especially in the rear due to the available spring rates AE has versus what CoreRC and / or Willspeed has for the rear, similar to what they were doing with there B6.4s locally..
Old 02-20-2024, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cain
Got a couple of team drivers at our track and a variety of AE Cars, from what I can tell they are getting the cars to rotate fine on our tight track, I think one of them played with some caster settings and I am assuming they are not using AE springs, especially in the rear due to the available spring rates AE has versus what CoreRC and / or Willspeed has for the rear, similar to what they were doing with there B6.4s locally..
Interesting, forgot about the WS springs - Willspeed Springs - 13mm
Old 02-20-2024, 05:31 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikeyscott
Interesting, forgot about the WS springs - Willspeed Springs - 13mm
Yeah been using those here on my brand of vehicles, which ironically can take the AE V2 12mm springs but not our Yokomo 12mm springs very well lol.

Anyway, the Willspeed springs work well, fit our 13mm shocks no issues and look like they fit the AE shocks fine too so you don't need to buy anything additional to get them to work like the Core-RC Springs. I could see the Red 2.25lb and Green 2.35lb springs being great options to compliment AE's 13mm rear springs, maybe even the heaviest Blue too which is 2.5lbs depending on your conditions and driving. Probably only thing I wish was a bit better was how the shrink tubing fits the spring, as it can be a slight pain putting them on at times, maybe a combo of color and shrink tubing would be nice.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by andrewcoley
Thanks Roger

So you think if I go for 1.8 / 1.9 on EOS carpet with Fusion tyres up front that's about right?

Any recommendations for oil weight? I'm thinking purple 13mm springs for front and V2 12mm yellow for rear

(PS I clearly can't work the quote tool... )
Those pistons are in the right area, Personally I am running v2 Yellow springs all round, front and rear shocks in outer hole on the wishbones are I find that although it gives a similar wheel rate it feels a like more nimble without becoming snatchy. For my personal driving style I didn't like any combination I tried using the middle hole but if I was forced to use the middle hole on the front I would be on something like a V3 Orange.

Originally Posted by Onroad tourer
Which track are you racing at? Find most are preferring Fusion slims to LP cut staggers these days.
The track was Midlands Raceway. I think he said fusions were there go to tyre now your correct, i will have to order some and see how that improves.

Also i have seen alot of people mention the hall brothers setup but all i can find is their setup for cork floor, not EOS carpet, does anyone have any info on the EOS carpet setup for the b7?[/QUOTE]

If the Hall's carpet setups aren't on CML mine will be very soon. If you race at Midlands speak to Zak Smith, I've helped him with setup and he is flying with the B7 now.

Originally Posted by NickMG
Hi Roger, I found similar positive results in a damp shakedown on astroturf at coastal model car club. While I had no timing and I was the only one on track I would mirror what you said. The car was set up for dry really when I headed out but it rained on the way. My set up was far from ideal and it far too miserable to mess about with many changes, so i basically pushed the battery right back, 4 degrees of toe in, 2 anti squat and put a bigger pinion on (7t motor). I had 2mm pistons in with 1.8 holes front and 2mm rear, orange springs front grey rear. I would say much more to come just from getting the springs and oil correct ( also rear arms forward 2mm). I was very pleased with the car and felt it was probably better than my normal wet car.
My B7 wet setup will be up on CML soon, it is very good. I think you went the wrong way with the antisquat ;-)
Glad to hear that you are finding the B7 good in low grip conditions.

Originally Posted by fifi

You have some eos setup on petitrc.[/QUOTE]

When looking at EOS event setups remember they have to run ancient front tyre design ;-)

I've not run mine yet, what KPI setting where you running on the front hubs? Will run mine outdoors poss in the coming weeks, pending weather, no plans to head indoors again this season.

I've only purchased the B7D, pretty much gear diff and roll bars are out of stock. The roll bars on astro setup, wonder if they'll be needed for the dry.
KPI2 seems to be the sweet spot for me, I want to experiment more with KPI but so far KPI1 seems to be too biased towards corner entry to suit me and KPI3 too biased towards mid corner steering to suit small UK track so KPI2 is the Goldielocks setting, or so it seems with the limited running I've had.

Not sure about ARBs on dry astro, personally I doubt we'll be running a rear one, possibly a front one if we need to tame steering and/or aid return from roll. Too early to tell, a dry track to test on would be lovely but I don't think there has been any!

Originally Posted by sosidge
It's been interesting reading Facebook comments about the car. Dirt racers seem really happy and are surprised by how stable it is.

Carpet racers seems to be split between people who think it is great and people who think it understeers.

For me, it understeers.

I think the answer is in the front geometry somewhere because springs/damping alone haven't made enough difference. I have a few things I want to try but will be a couple of weeks before my next track visit.

If you like a planted car and are willing to hustle it into the corners you'll probably be happier with something close to the kit setting. I can only drive smooth and I'm not happy yet.
I think it is partly a driving style thing, partly a track layout / surface thing and a LOT about the tyres used.
My work has been focused on getting good turn in with the KPI2 blocks on the front, something that wasn't too difficult but I will admit to adding weight around the servo to get it to hold it's line when biasing the geometry to corner entry.

Originally Posted by BuggyFan21
Seams to benefit from a lot more weight up front for carpet racing. I've gone for the heaviest servo I can find now - and I've stuck the old B6.4 weight plate underneath the B7 plate so I've got 46g of weight there as well now.

Once a brass weight plate appears for the front cut-out and a steel front bulkhead I'll probably go back to my regular servo and ESC weight plates.
That seems a lot of extra weight. I run a full size servo anyway, ETRONIX ET2061 which is light and some of the low-profile servos weight the same! On carpet I have gone as far as 5g on each side of the servo mount and 10g in front of the servo. TMG will be releasing a brass under servo weight very soon and they have been kind enough to provide me one to evaluate, that evaluation is that it is a must have item if you are going to run Schumacher tyres on any carpet type.
It is my intention to avoid a heavy front bulkhead at all cost, or certainly try to. My reasoning here is that although they aid mid corner steering they significantly reduce the car's ability to change direction and be responsive, no weight will be added in front of the servo weight pocket if I can help it and I honestly don't think it will be needed.

andrewcoley likes this.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RogerM
Those pistons are in the right area, Personally I am running v2 Yellow springs all round, front and rear shocks in outer hole on the wishbones are I find that although it gives a similar wheel rate it feels a like more nimble without becoming snatchy. For my personal driving style I didn't like any combination I tried using the middle hole but if I was forced to use the middle hole on the front I would be on something like a V3 Orange.

KPI2 seems to be the sweet spot for me, I want to experiment more with KPI but so far KPI1 seems to be too biased towards corner entry to suit me and KPI3 too biased towards mid corner steering to suit small UK track so KPI2 is the Goldielocks setting, or so it seems with the limited running I've had.

Not sure about ARBs on dry astro, personally I doubt we'll be running a rear one, possibly a front one if we need to tame steering and/or aid return from roll. Too early to tell, a dry track to test on would be lovely but I don't think there has been any!

I think it is partly a driving style thing, partly a track layout / surface thing and a LOT about the tyres used.
My work has been focused on getting good turn in with the KPI2 blocks on the front, something that wasn't too difficult but I will admit to adding weight around the servo to get it to hold it's line when biasing the geometry to corner entry.

That seems a lot of extra weight. I run a full size servo anyway, ETRONIX ET2061 which is light and some of the low-profile servos weight the same! On carpet I have gone as far as 5g on each side of the servo mount and 10g in front of the servo. TMG will be releasing a brass under servo weight very soon and they have been kind enough to provide me one to evaluate, that evaluation is that it is a must have item if you are going to run Schumacher tyres on any carpet type.
It is my intention to avoid a heavy front bulkhead at all cost, or certainly try to. My reasoning here is that although they aid mid corner steering they significantly reduce the car's ability to change direction and be responsive, no weight will be added in front of the servo weight pocket if I can help it and I honestly don't think it will be needed.
All good to hear, will be fitting the RSX3 KO into the car this week after debating dropping £££ on a LP servo, will get the car up and running first.

Interesting, I messaged Dave B the other week whether he was doing much, but no response. I was initially after some 2mm pistons are most places out of stock, but also watching to see if people moved to the 2.5mm

I've not tried the fusion 2WD tyre, but then indoor running mm err yeah. Not even interested in what goes on the GP event in a few weeks. Now the 2WD dry astro choice, there is something more important
Old 02-20-2024, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

All good to hear, will be fitting the RSX3 KO into the car this week after debating dropping £££ on a LP servo, will get the car up and running first.

Interesting, I messaged Dave B the other week whether he was doing much, but no response. I was initially after some 2mm pistons are most places out of stock, but also watching to see if people moved to the 2.5mm

I've not tried the fusion 2WD tyre, but then indoor running mm err yeah. Not even interested in what goes on the GP event in a few weeks. Now the 2WD dry astro choice, there is something more important
I tried glued down fusions on our Astro track (on the one dry day we have had) and liked them. However I also borrowed some Axiom tyres and liked them more - especially given you don't have to glue them down.
daz_75 and mikeyscott like this.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Re weight, hopefully I’ll have a spare steel weight left from my B6.4 clear out. Will be interesting re weight setups too outdoors.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

I've quite a few older spur gears (none octalock) do they still fit a b7?
Old 02-20-2024, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by daz_75
Yes, but you might have to get the older slipper pads.

anyone tried the TMG battery mount from the B6.x car?
daz_75 likes this.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, but you might have to get the older slipper pads.

not the same mount I'm sure but the b6.2 klinik one fits with a bit of bend. I think the generic one they sell is the same as mine but with the back cut off
Old 02-20-2024, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Check out the one from Speed Project, carbon fiber and 3d printed versions specifically for the B7

https://www.speedprojectrc.com/
Old 02-20-2024, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daz_75
Yep, but you'll just need to cut the little tips off the octalock slipper pads
daz_75 likes this.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

….
Old 02-21-2024, 05:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Anti Rollbar Hardware

I am presuming that the Anti Roll Bar Hardware kit only provides enough for one end of the car?

AS92457 - TEAM ASSOCIATED RC10B7 ANTI ROLL BAR HARDWARE

Old 02-21-2024, 05:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pistol123
I am presuming that the Anti Roll Bar Hardware kit only provides enough for one end of the car?

AS92457 - TEAM ASSOCIATED RC10B7 ANTI ROLL BAR HARDWARE

This looks like one set only. I could be wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.