Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1/8 etruggy super popular here.
Old 09-26-2023, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

1/8 eTruggy has essentially replaced 1/10 Mini Truggy and that class replaced 1/10 SCT in my area... I used to race 2 classes for club racing but due to low turnout I only run 1 class now and only run eTruggy for larger events and series races.

In order for 1/8 eTruggy to go away, it would need to be replaced with some other class, there's just not enough turnout to support many more classes at this point.
Cain likes this.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't have a 1/8 yet but both the local outdoor tracks told me both e truggy and e buggy are popular and run every time.

Getting a 1/8 buggy next spring myself.
​​​​​​
Old 09-26-2023, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Seems like this is going to be one of those things that varies a lot region to region and track to track. That said I expect eBuggy and eTruggy to slowly replace existing nitro buggy/truggy, as they have been.
Old 09-26-2023, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jauntyfedora
Seems like this is going to be one of those things that varies a lot region to region and track to track. That said I expect eBuggy and eTruggy to slowly replace existing nitro buggy/truggy, as they have been.
I agree. eBuggy/eTruggy is getting more popular, I think, in part because of the ever lower turnout at club races. It can be hard to find enough people to both pit and marshal during the nitro races. If you don't have a regular pit guy, it's hard to race nitro. You have to find someone at the race that will pit for you and hope they know what to do. Nitro buggy still has it's following, but it is getting smaller every year.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 0010
I agree. eBuggy/eTruggy is getting more popular, I think, in part because of the ever lower turnout at club races. It can be hard to find enough people to both pit and marshal during the nitro races. If you don't have a regular pit guy, it's hard to race nitro. You have to find someone at the race that will pit for you and hope they know what to do. Nitro buggy still has it's following, but it is getting smaller every year.
Couldn't agree more with this statement. Where I'm at (Northeast) Nitro is big at a couple of tracks and it's discouraging electric guys. I ran election and decided I was over it. Why? --- I get 5 min quals and a 7 min main. They get 5-7 min quals and 25-45 minute mains while I marshal. Thus, i'm basically there to support nitro drivers. No thanks. Thoughts about going Nitro myself, but wasn't interested in constantly begging for a pit person.
Juglenaut likes this.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Truggy

There too easy to drive. Nothing stops them. Kinda to big. Destroy track. Blow tires off wheels.Tires Shake whole truggy apart. They have had there chance for about 15 years. There done. We have more mini 4x4 short course. Seems 4x4 1/10 buggys did not run outside for years. But the last 3 they have made a come back. Guys are running there tlr and AE outside with little issues.
Second race new track. 1/10 truggy 8, 4x4 sc 13, truggy 12, ebuggy 23. Nitro 4. Most of are 1/8 guys have had truggys. We are over them.
themountain likes this.

Last edited by jasburrito; 09-27-2023 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Our 1/8 electric classes are huge, last race day, 31 ebugs 22 etrug and 5 nitro lol, People stopped nitro due to the clowns involved.(only ones really left doing nitro are the ones who think they are off to world champs the next week and are over 40.)
Old 09-27-2023, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Here in Spain are no tracks and/or races to bring a etruggy😑
Old 09-27-2023, 01:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jasburrito
There too easy to drive. Nothing stops them. Kinda to big. Destroy track. Blow tires off wheels.Tires Shake whole truggy apart. They have had there chance for about 15 years. There done. We have more mini 4x4 short course. Seems 4x4 1/10 buggys did not run outside for years. But the last 3 they have made a come back. Guys are running there tlr and AE outside with little issues.
Second race new track. 1/10 truggy 8, 4x4 sc 13, truggy 12, ebuggy 23. Nitro 4. Most of are 1/8 guys have had truggys. We are over them.
The too-easy-to-drive argument is annoying…Usually comes from people that are “fast” with a buggy, but realize that there are other people that can drive better but just lack the time to set up a car. If they are THAT easy, then you shouldn’t have any trouble beating the amateurs, right?

Personally, my truggy has kept me moving forward with buggy setup instead of throwing in the towel. I’m competitive, but far from expert level. Truggy reminds me that the hobby is fun and doesn’t require the time away from my family to stay competitive.

Track getting beat up? Take that up with your RD. Dirt doesn’t care regardless.

Space a problem? Well, that’s a real thing, but its a personal problem (to that track/area). Solution: Don’t run truggy there.
Cinnabun likes this.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Watching the 1/10 truggy class grow and the new Schumacher make me want to get a truggy. Right now the track is perfect for buggies but a little too tight for truggys. Maybe because it’s catered towards 17.5 blinky. 13.5 is kinda fast for it right now. Luckily they change it up a couple times a year. Maybe once they used st2 hit the market I’ll pick one up
Old 09-28-2023, 05:53 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Here we saw growth in the 1/10 Truggy class due to fact that compared to the E-Buggies they have an almost similar size profile and can handle, especially equipped with SCT wheels and tires, the tracks the 1/8 E-buggies are running on, Also no parachute effect like a 4wd SCT.

They are easily pulling the monster triples that the E-Buggies are jumping and it doesnt' take much to equip them with proper electronics, especially when you drop in a 4 pole 540 motor like the Tekin Pro4 4600kv or whatever the Pro2 5100kv is considered.

this is the track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT-lOuy6kx0
Old 09-28-2023, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Why not just run ebuggy? Instead of making another class. Seems counterproductive.
Old 09-28-2023, 08:19 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Why not just run ebuggy? Instead of making another class. Seems counterproductive.
SImple, you want more track time on race day and / or the fun or a different feel on the track. No different than guys who run say E-Buggy and E-Truggy, or E-Buggy and Nitro Buggy, or for 1/10 2wd buggy and 4wd buggy, etc.

Anyone that runs more than one class is effectively doing the same thing, its the class they choose and why that varies.
petersen114 and 0010 like this.